Pearse Shields

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
A little background on me:
  • 23 years old
  • Male
  • 73kg
  • Amateur MT fighter

This is just a log to chronicle my weight cutting procedure for this fight. I've got to drop 11-12lbs (a little over 5kg) over the next week. I'll be eating as low-carb as possible, mostly meat with also a little hard cheese, lots of nuts, as well as some green vegetables. I'll also be water loading and supplementing with Vitamin C, as well as doing time in a sauna most days in order to increase the amount of water my body passes each day. Hopefully, this will make the last stretch a little bit easier.

16/02/2013:

First day of the weight cut. Woke up around 8am, looked around for some food as I was staying with my parents for the night. Decided on some leftover mince as breakfast, washed back with some green tea. Around 9:30, had another bottle of water as well as a sugar-free energy drink on the way to training. More water once I got to training. Did some drills first, then a few rounds of sparring, a quick break, then a few more rounds of sparring. For lunch, had most of a packet of almonds and more water. Went to another gym for some more sparring again. After another hour or two of light sparring, more water, and a bottle of water during training as well. Headed back up. On the road, had a small piece of chicken from a small place as a snack/lunch. Dinner tonight was leftover chicken thigh, cut up and fried in a pan with green beans, spinach, garlic, and butter. More water. Had 3 small pieces (possibly 100g) of watermelon for desert.

TL;DR version:
  • Mince for breakfast
  • Snacked on 150g almonds across the morning and lunch
  • Had a bit of chicken as my lunch/afternoon snack about 2pm
  • Boneless skinless chicken thigh with greens, butter and garlic for dinner
  • ~100g watermelon for desert
  • Consumed total about 6-7litres water across the day

17/02/2013:

Second day. First thing this morning, tried to make a low-carb protein shake with water, a scoop of whey, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and about a teaspoon of protein powder. Not tasty at all, but oh well. Lots of water while I was at work. Had a tablespoon of peanut butter for a snack. At lunch, cooked up some bolognese sauce. Recipe was some olive oil, a chopped up onion and garlic fried in it until it was brown, then a kilo of mince added. When the mince was browned I added a tin of Italian tomatoes and half a tin of tomato paste. Oregano, basil, and rosemary for flavour. Very tasty, and enough for four servings. After a while, headed to the gym for a sauna session. Definitely full of suck, always hated sauna sessions. After sauna, had some almonds and a small bite of colby cheese. Dinner is in the oven, it's a boneless chicken thigh stuffed with cheese and pesto and wrapped in a strip of bacon. Can't wait. Right now, drinking Vanilla Coke Zero, and later on I'll have maybe a small something for desert.

TL;DR:
  • Breakfast was a shite low-carb protein shake
  • Tablespoon of peanut butter as a mid-morning snack
  • Bolognese sauce for lunch
  • Some almonds and a small slice of cheese for afternoon snack
  • Pesto, cheese, chicken and bacon for dinner
  • About 8 litres of fluids today
  • Also, half an hour of sauna today

18/02/2013:

So, today first thing I had was a single chicken thigh for breakfast (leftovers from last night). After a couple of hours at work, had a sugar-free Monster to drink, as well as about 10 macadamia nuts. Around 11:30 had a small bowl of leftover bolognese which I'd left in the fridge yesterday. Headed to the gym after that, small workout, sauna, etc. After working out, had another small serving of macadamias to keep me going. It's now after 10pm, and I've only just had dinner after getting home from training. Also, I've had a whole shitload of water today again. Weight is now 71kg- 2kg down, 3kg to go. Should be a relatively good cut.

TL;DR:
  • Leftover chicken for breakfast
  • Sugar-free Monster around 10am
  • Some macadamias
  • Small bowl of bolognese at 11:30
  • More macadamias at about 3pm
  • 2 x chicken thighs at 10pm
  • Consumed about 8-10 litres fluid throughout the day
  • 2kg down- 73kg down to 71kg

Just saw this thread. Good luck, sir; I hope it doesn't suck as much as it sounds like it probably sucks.

19/02/2013:

So, another day down, another day closer to the fight. Breakfast this morning was about half a bag of almonds as I sat in bed. Eventually got up, did some stuff, then defrosted some of the leftover mince bolognese sauce for my lunch. Food is good. Was feeling really shitty before I had food today. Anyway, had a small teaspoon of peanut butter and a can of sugar-free Red Bull before heading to the gym for a half hour in the sauna at about 3:30. Finished the sauna, rehydrated, then came home and made some beef and onion stew. Stew had 1 onion, ~700g of topside steak, 1 clove of garlic (all of these browned in a pan with a tablespoon or so of olive oil), 2 beef stock cubes, all thrown in a pot. Added a little garlic salt, a bit of Glasseye Creek meat sauce (some sort of savoury barbecue sauce- added an awesome flavour), some basil, parsley, rosemary and a bay leaf or two, then filled it with about a liter of water. Cooked in the oven for about 3 hours at 180 celcius. Tasted awesome. Low-carb, but a bit high in sodium. Anyway, while that was in the oven I went to training, and sweated like a motherfucker. Down to 70kg at the end of it. Came home, ate a bowl of stew, and had loads of water.

TL;DR:
  • Breakfast was about 100 grams of almonds
  • Had leftover bolognese for lunch
  • About a tablespoon of peanut butter and a sugar-free Red Bull at 3:30
  • Dinner was some steak and onion stew (as above)
  • Roughly 8 liters of water today
  • Bodyweight 70.4kg post-training

Keep it up man. There are tons of guys here that can help you out too. Listen to your body and be creative.

Keep it up man. There are tons of guys here that can help you out too. Listen to your body and be creative.

Thanks for stopping by man. If I have to do a bigger cut in future I think I'll have to revisit this forum, see what I can do to change things and improve my cutting.

20/02/2013:

So, less food to eat today than yesterday. Had the rest of the meat from the leftover stew for breakfast, but that wasn't a particularly filling meal. I think I overestimated how much beef was in the stew yesterday as well, as I only got two servings out of it... Didn't have so much of the soup from the stew though. Anyway, that breakfast was closer to lunch time. Mid-afternoon, had a tablespoon of peanut butter for a small snack before I headed into work, along with a sugar-free energy drink. I had to have something in order to not bite my clients' heads off at work :icon_lol: Anyway, was tided over until about 6 or so, when I had a spicy chicken breast and wing for dinner. All up, about 4 liters of fluid today.

TL;DR:
  • Leftover beef from stew at 12pm
  • Tablespoon of peanut butter + sugar-free energy drink around 2pm
  • Chicken leg at 6pm
  • 4 liters of fluid

Not a long list today, and tomorrow's will probably be even shorter. Eek.

21/02/2013:

Easy list to write today. Not going to bother with much detail:
  • Some water early in the morning
  • Chicken breast + wing at about 2:30-3pm.
  • Green tea + water spread out across evening
  • 1.5 liters fluid all up today

I'll be sure to update tomorrow with what I manage to put away for dinner!

Good luck Kiwi. You don't know me but I have seen you posting here.

Some weeks ago I entered a challenge where I took out all diary out of my food. So no yoghurt and not even whey protein. It really sucked, but what was good about it, was that I had to get really creative. There are tons of healthy foods that you can eat and I keep losing weight. I ate way to much diary and since it's out of my diet, I can eat more and with more variaty.

I think I see the same with you. You are also getting creative.

Good luck Kiwi. You don't know me but I have seen you posting here.

Some weeks ago I entered a challenge where I took out all diary out of my food. So no yoghurt and not even whey protein. It really sucked, but what was good about it, was that I had to get really creative. There are tons of healthy foods that you can eat and I keep losing weight. I ate way to much diary and since it's out of my diet, I can eat more and with more variaty.

I think I see the same with you. You are also getting creative.

Nah, I know you from f13. Keep up the good work.

Oh yeah, just woke up and checked my weight on the good set of scales from our gym. 68.8kg. So, 11 hours to lose a kilo. Not bad.

22/02/2013:

So, had a bit of an issue yesterday when I needed to sauna to weigh in. I work at a gym chain, so normally have free access to all of our gyms around the country, so was planning on using the one up here (after a 5 hour drive) to cut weight before weighing in. Got there, nope, sauna was broken, the element burned out from having water poured on it too much (dry sauna). So, to the YMCA, where we got told the sauna was working. Sat in there for a bit and thought that it wasn't as warm as what I was used to. In there for nearly half an hour and another dude comes in, sits down and says "jeez, it's cold in here today". Apparently I came on the one day that the sauna was turned down or not functioning properly. Fuck!
Anyway, sat in there for half an hour and was only just starting to sweat by the end of it. Fucking hell. Off to the weigh-in then, and I came in at 68.2kg. Opponent was 67.9kg, so I was cleared to fight. Next time I have to weigh in out of town, I'm making sure the sauna actually works wherever I'm headed.
Anyway, massive refeed last night, I'll keep rehydrating today, eat a good breakfast and lunch, and then fighting tonight around 8pm.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by.

Back