n00b whos body is a complete trainwreck!!!

ChiefStrategist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Background:
I was recently introduced to MMA by my friends, I have since become hooked on shows like TUF/UFC PPV's/Pride etc. I happened upon Sherdog by just browsing the internet. I have been letting my body rot in the past 13 years (I am 30 now). I am fat, out of shape, I smoke, and my diet is complete shit. I came to realization that now is the time to get myself on the right track or I will be a useless slob for the rest of my life. I have 2 children who I want to watch grow up and learn good habits. This being said, I don't plan to fight in any MMA matches, I think I am too far gone in the body rotting process, however I do want to be stronger, faster, feel better, look better, etc, etc. I am/was a good athlete, but the poor diet and smoking really did some damage to me. I still have some skills, but nothing remotely close to what I was 15 years ago, and what I could be.

I am 5'9 and weigh 212 pounds. I started light cardio and I hit the heavybag every day. I have done some pushups, jumprope, crunches, and other various excercise over the past week when i realized I needed to change. But again, years of letting my body go to shit have relegated my muscles to be sore after walking a mile, 25 Pushups, 10 minutes of crunches and other AB work, jump rope and hitting the bag. This really makes me feel worse, because it feels like I have no chance to succeed. I said my diet is freaking terrible and it's worse than I make it sound, believe me. I rarely eat breakfast, and fast food or other snacky type foods for lunch, and occasionally I'll eat a healthy dinner, but again it may be fast food or whatever is in the fridge.

I've been reading posts and articles from Sherdog and bodybuilding.com and there is a lot of good info out there, but it's hard to decipher the right path to take. I am aware there is no magic bullet or miracle supplement to get me to my goals, but I need a good diet plan, a good weight training/cardio plan, a good supplement plan, and most of all motivation. It's true that how you feel dictates how you live, and I need to change this ASAP.

This is going to be one of the most difficult, but most likely the most rewarding expeience of my life...but the sad fact is I need direction and help. So imagine you have this guy who's 5'9, 212 lbs, smokes, doesn't drink much alcohol (maybe a beer a month), low self esteem (Physically speaking), feels weak, with a defeated attitude asking you for guidence. Where do you begin?

GOALS:

Simply put, my goals are to be 210-215 LBS, but cut like a diamond and strong as an Ox. I realize that this may very well be out of my league at the moment, but I'll never say never. In order to achieve this the question is do I need to lose fat weight, then bulk back up? or stay with the 212 lbs I have now and just transform this into muscle and not fat?

I want to get into kickboxing, but I have no dreams of competetive kickboxing. I want it for the workout and to "feel" like a badass.

I would like the time frame to be a year or two, I'm not sure if this is manageable or not, but I have to start somewhere.

I want to do good cardio, yoga, weight training, kickboxing, and give it all my best.

HELP WANTED:

What diet plans would you recommend to someone in my position? Low Carb? High Protein? High Carb? etc? Like I said before I am someone who is dumb as shit when it comes to eating right, because I never did it. I am your clay...Mold me

What workout regimens or training would you suggest for someone in my position? Again, I never really liked the gym and know little if anything about it, so again I am at square one here?

Supplements? The general consensus I've read so far are no supplements save maybe Whey Protien, Multi-Vitamin, and Green Tea Extract? Again, there is so much conflicting info concerning these I just don't have enough info

Motivation? Up until about two weeks ago I've been very unmotivated and my health (both Mental and Physical) have been deteriorating because of it. Starting out there will be days I feel like complete shit and everything will hurt...how do you find the inner strength to keep marching on?

IN CONCLUSION:
I'm writing this because I need some help. Please don't flame me or anyone else trying to help. anything and everything will be taken into consideration. iIf it's too much to tackle I get it, but anything you have to add will be appreciated. Feel free to say as much or as little as you want, but remember I have minimal knowledge about most of the things you'll be saying so laymans terms are appreciated. Finally, I want to sincerely thank any and every person who takes time out of thier day to add something positive, whether it be advice or encouragement. It's easy to ignore posts like these because the task is so monumental.

Thank You,

The Chief Strategist

to get into shape try the bas rutten mma workout..real fun and you'll be in shape in no time. diet wise i think you know you should drink lots of water and stay away from fast food and greasy really cheesy shit.actaully i think most people know how to eat healthy, they just choose not to. i mean, you know if you shouldn't be eating asomething, y'know? give yourself a cheat day 1 day a week but don't go overboard. stop smoking. i smoked for 9 years and quit about 4-5 years ago and it'll make your workouts about 1000x easier. for motivation , just keep thinking of how good its gonna feel when ur ripped and look better than u have in years.actually u should update all us users on here of ur progress, we'll help u w/ motivation. as for supplements, i don't use any so i can't help you there. good luck.

admire you for waking up out of the Matrix.
In the movie FIGHT CLUB they said, we have no real war, so we are depressed, well this
THIS is your mission, your war right here bro!

Everything as you know has to be LONG term. Step by step, anything of REAL value is long term.
so you have to HAVE to be able to handle what your doing long term.
forget diet programs. doing one, quitting, not getting results or it was too hard, all this research
it's discouraging,

start slow and natural. Start by saying, chocolate I can only eat 1x month, soda 1x week.
fried food 1x week. you know what I mean? Maybe even that is too much for you. But slowly
you move away, until like me, I NEVER drink soda anymore, I stopped, all juice & water, soy milk
that's it, MAYBE tea, but never coffee. Took me 5 years of not that hard committment, why? because
I took it slow, the process was so slow I hardly recognized it! hehehe
The hardest for me right now is to give up chips.
working out, I always said this: 1x week for a year is ALWAYS better than everyday for a month,
do the math!!!

so my method is non extreme, slow long term, life style change.
the problem is you want to see results, fast. nothing wrong unless that becomes the priority.
once in a while you will want to challenge yourself, you will want to say, hey I'm suppose to work
out only 1x week, but I'm on a roll this week, I want to do it for the 3rd time!!!
then GREAT.
or maybe for a month only, but STILL keep up the long term.
so you combine short term with long term to help maximize your transformation.

for short term, this is what I do,
you got to shock your system for results, because your body doesnt want to transform, we are
genetically wired not to transform so easily, we CAN adapt, but not so easily because that
requires too much energy, life wants to be efficient.
so your body has adapted to the way you are now. How to cause evolution? Just like the way
the ice age started you have to drop meteor bomb.
do hard workouts so that your body says, oh my gosh, we need to use those reserves (fat)
NOW!!! we are in trouble!
Also what uses up the MOST energy in your body? It's muscle. The most inefficient thing
that you Don't really need. Just look at Ghandi, or kids in Africa, or an anorexic person, they got
no muscle but they can live.
Muscle is like a HOT ROD car, very strong, very explosive, eats TONS of fuel. you dont feed yourself
but workout your muscles and make them big, then it WILL have to HAVE to eat up the fat on you.
It says, dude, muscles are a priority in this guys life right now, we can't wait, food is not reliably
comming in, so use the fat!!
hope this helps man!!!
good luck

hard work. DIET. (it took me forever to realize correct diet and sticking to it is more important than any exercises and supps). stick with it. good luck. once youve got the diet and training ethics down, start looking into supps.

Tkdmmafighter said:
hard work. DIET. (it took me forever to realize correct diet and sticking to it is more important than any exercises and supps). stick with it. good luck. once youve got the diet and training ethics down, start looking into supps.

Yeh man i've just recently come to realise this one. Its true you are what you eat. No need to construct a diet, learn a bit about nutrition from here and other forums and eat clean and minimize alcohol/drugs. Nutrition is probly the most important aspect. Don't do atkins tho, eat like an athlete. No processed sugars! Eat complex carbs, good fats, protien, fruit and veg.

Quit smoking, i smoked 1.5-2 packs a day for 5 years and quit cold turkey without patches or gum in Feb this year, start doing cardio, start kickboxing atleast 2x/week right away and running. Running out of gas after 1 min and coughing up shit between rounds should hopefully turn you off smoking. Plus every time you have another smoke your fitness starts from scratch again.

Read the stickies in the strength and power forum for a weight routine.

As for supplements, what you mentioned is good for now and a cup or 2 of black coffee (helps with motivation too), no sugar.

Don't try to do too much all at once take it slowly and build up. If your nutrition and training is in check you'll be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. After 6 months you'll get noticeable results and that'll be motivation enough.

Oh and drink LOTS of water.

Reakt said:
Yeh man i've just recently come to realise this one. Its true you are what you eat. No need to construct a diet, learn a bit about nutrition from here and other forums and eat clean and minimize alcohol/drugs. Nutrition is probly the most important aspect. Don't do atkins tho, eat like an athlete. No processed sugars! Eat complex carbs, good fats, protien, fruit and veg.

Quit smoking, i smoked 1.5-2 packs a day for 5 years and quit cold turkey without patches or gum in Feb this year, start doing cardio, start kickboxing atleast 2x/week right away and running. Running out of gas after 1 min and coughing up shit between rounds should hopefully turn you off smoking. Plus every time you have another smoke your fitness starts from scratch again.

Read the stickies in the strength and power forum for a weight routine.

As for supplements, what you mentioned is good for now and a cup or 2 of black coffee (helps with motivation too), no sugar.

Don't try to do too much all at once take it slowly and build up. If your nutrition and training is in check you'll be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. After 6 months you'll get noticeable results and that'll be motivation enough.

Oh and drink LOTS of water.

fuckin aye man, ive been tryin to stop smoking for a while. i wish i could. at least ive cut way back, but i really need to quit.

oh yea, simple carbs are good too.

VampireMonk said:
admire you for waking up out of the Matrix.
In the movie FIGHT CLUB they said, we have no real war, so we are depressed, well this
THIS is your mission, your war right here bro!

Everything as you know has to be LONG term. Step by step, anything of REAL value is long term.
so you have to HAVE to be able to handle what your doing long term.
forget diet programs. doing one, quitting, not getting results or it was too hard, all this research
it's discouraging,

start slow and natural. Start by saying, chocolate I can only eat 1x month, soda 1x week.
fried food 1x week. you know what I mean? Maybe even that is too much for you. But slowly
you move away, until like me, I NEVER drink soda anymore, I stopped, all juice & water, soy milk
that's it, MAYBE tea, but never coffee. Took me 5 years of not that hard committment, why? because
I took it slow, the process was so slow I hardly recognized it! hehehe
The hardest for me right now is to give up chips.
working out, I always said this: 1x week for a year is ALWAYS better than everyday for a month,
do the math!!!

so my method is non extreme, slow long term, life style change.
the problem is you want to see results, fast. nothing wrong unless that becomes the priority.
once in a while you will want to challenge yourself, you will want to say, hey I'm suppose to work
out only 1x week, but I'm on a roll this week, I want to do it for the 3rd time!!!
then GREAT.
or maybe for a month only, but STILL keep up the long term.
so you combine short term with long term to help maximize your transformation.

for short term, this is what I do,
you got to shock your system for results, because your body doesnt want to transform, we are
genetically wired not to transform so easily, we CAN adapt, but not so easily because that
requires too much energy, life wants to be efficient.
so your body has adapted to the way you are now. How to cause evolution? Just like the way
the ice age started you have to drop meteor bomb.
do hard workouts so that your body says, oh my gosh, we need to use those reserves (fat)
NOW!!! we are in trouble!
Also what uses up the MOST energy in your body? It's muscle. The most inefficient thing
that you Don't really need. Just look at Ghandi, or kids in Africa, or an anorexic person, they got
no muscle but they can live.
Muscle is like a HOT ROD car, very strong, very explosive, eats TONS of fuel. you dont feed yourself
but workout your muscles and make them big, then it WILL have to HAVE to eat up the fat on you.
It says, dude, muscles are a priority in this guys life right now, we can't wait, food is not reliably
comming in, so use the fat!!
hope this helps man!!!
good luck

lolerskates!! the way you explained that was classic. like you were doing it for a kindergarten class. but still good info none the less.

I'm in the same boat. I've gone from good shape in high school, to now ten years later an overweight, smoking, drunk slob.

I've been thinking the same thing, using MMA training to get in shape. I have no desire to fight really, but it seems like a cool way to get in shape.

shoot Im sorry if it sounded like I was talking down to people,
just trying to sound down to earth instead of acting like some
pompus doctor using vocab that is soooo not required.

ability to explain to your client in a way they can understand is skill
often neglected sadly on purpose many times...

kickboxing rules man...if you dont want to be competative in it though look at dojos that have "cardio kickboxing"...if not fuck it and come competitive...good luck man!

VampireMonk said:
shoot Im sorry if it sounded like I was talking down to people,
just trying to sound down to earth instead of acting like some
pompus doctor using vocab that is soooo not required.

ability to explain to your client in a way they can understand is skill
often neglected sadly on purpose many times...

nah, i was saying you did well.

Thanks so much guys!!!! This is all outstanding info, and I'm getting more fired up about it as we speak. Tomorrow begins the day when I clean out my cupboards of all the shitty foods and I get right by my body. One day at a time is gonna be the mantra here, one day at a time.

Monk, Your words are very helpful, You are talking to a kindergartner when it comes to living right. This is a lifestyle change and basics are whats needed to focus on.

I'm fired up fellas and I have you (and a few others) to thank for it. I will be keeping the journal, and I'll begin it here. If the thread gets moved, then I'll continue it there. I posted in the nutrition section first because thats the most basic change needed made. I hope you guys will follow me and continue to guide and support me.

and who knows, I'll kickbox for fun until I start beating some people...I am still VERY competetive, so I may go full throttle after I gain confidence....One Day at a time.

Thanks again guys

just remember there is always some Phucker out there, in equal or worse situation
as you, working out right now, alone in their room, in some dark underground chamber LOL

this bastard with a face I cannot recognize, this bastard who has my name written on their
bullet, this guy who wants to beat me for no reason other than to compete with me
because we are like two wolves travelling the same path, & when they cross, they have to
fight, just the way it is, this makes me take that extra step towards my running shoes and
makes me put them on, and just do it....

Why would you want to be 5'9" and 215 lbs as a kick boxer? Maybe you should start sprinting and become an NFL running back or stop doing cardio and be a bodybuilder.

Igor's about that size & is pretty effective.

Back