Media Name a boxer who didn’t live up to your expectations

This might sound a bit cruel to some people but I didn't expect Roy to react to losing his abilities like he did. I mean, he was absolutely shattered by one punch, he was totally finished by that one punch. All those easy wins with guys who couldn't really touch him just made the comedown his accounting. You never know how a guy is going to deal with adversity until it hits. Part of it was he just had no chin (please, no aging chinners) the other part was he just was not mentally resilient enough to bounce back. Some say balco, the heavyweight comedown had something to do with it, I don't believe any of that. I think he got tagged one time and he just couldn't handle it. A five year old could have come at him and he'd have been nervous, or at least it looked that way.

With him, I don't think it was anything to do with courage or heart or any of that, he was just traumatized. I understand it happens in other sports too, they call it "running scared" in football, well, Roy was left fighting scared with diminished capacities and the result was he became normal somehow. He would take frightful kayoes because he didn't seem to understand or accept it and was in a sort of limbo where he couldn't be what he was and he didn't want to give that up either. One of the strangest and saddest cases I've ever seen for a great fighter.

A fighter that depends almost entirely on speed dropping like a brick at 35yo seems fairly predictable, if not surpassing what most would predict.

A fighter that depends almost entirely on speed dropping like a brick at 35yo seems fairly predictable, if not surpassing what most would predict.
No one else did it like roy though. I clearly remember at the time, I was at my mma gym and Roy had just fought, some guy was saying how he hated roy's guts because he was too cocky. I told him, "he's 35 now so we're gonna see any time now how real he is". Little did I know he would completely fall apart like that. Ali lost a step and showed us a toughness and courage rarely seen, Ray Leonard and Hector Camacho proved they were as tough as they needed to be when they declined. Roy? he folded completely. Never seen nothing like it. And, again, no aging chinners please, I know you're out there. "ooh, his chin got old overnight", no, he got hit for real overnight and couldn't cope at all. How people can put him in the category of Ali, the sugar ray's and Louis' is daffy. He fought and beat great fighters and then coasted for 90 percent of his career with guys like Glenn Kelly who could hardly keep his stance balanced, then those guys were kayoing him. Nothing like him.

Lomachenko. He was great, but I thought he was going to be all-time great.

Panchito Bojado. Clear case of too much too soon.

Also Wes Ferguson. First guy signed by Floyd. You dont know who he is because he fizzled hard. But I saw that guy KO Russian prospects in the gym.

a lot of people seem to think that i am overrating him, but i wouldn't say it's because i'm a joshua fan. i just like andy's style, and i'm a sucker for technicians. the man keeps it clean, he doesn't really get too wild with his punches, he's fast as hell for a man that size, throws combinations, is a good counter puncher, and he packs decent power.

i said he won't beat any of the 3 guys mentioned, but his speed and style would make for a tricky fight with all of them, if he wasn't such a lazy son of a bitch. it's like saying ryan garcia could be a champion because of his length, speed, and power. he could, but he won't be.

i guess everyone calls him an overachiever for the same reasons i think he's an underachiever, we're just looking at it from a different endpoint. you guys know that he can't be the best because he's a fat tub of lard who won't work on his deficiencies and will waste his prime, and i think he could be a champ if he stopped being a fat tub of lard, worked on his game, and actually fought.

That's a fair post, I actually agree with most of it. This post is far more reasonable than the one where you insinuated he could well beat Wilder, Fury and Usyk :D

I like him a lot as a fighter and respect his ability, but due to his size and laziness, to me has a clear ceiling at HW, and he's already overachieved really by winning a fairly legit belt at HW, that is nuts.

It's true he is freakishly fast for a man of that size, especially a lardy one - fast explosive handspeed. Nice technique too, and good power.

How tall do you think Ruiz is? He's clearly nowhere near his listed 6'2. If he is under 6', say 5'11 or so, he is a freak of nature and it makes his accomplishments more impressive at HW. Reason being, with that frame he could probably make 175 if he was disciplined and prepared to cut weight.

Panchito Bojado. Clear case of too much too soon.

Also Wes Ferguson. First guy signed by Floyd. You dont know who he is because he fizzled hard. But I saw that guy KO Russian prospects in the gym.

I mentioned Bojado earlier in this thread, I'm really surprised you're the only other one to mention him.

As I said in the post, it's crazy in retrospect that he came up at the same time as Cotto, and was actually seen as the more promising of the two.

Was it really too much too soon though? Was he matched up much harder than Cotto? Not that I recall tbh, but I don't have a clear recollection.

I mentioned Bojado earlier in this thread, I'm really surprised you're the only other one to mention him.

As I said in the post, it's crazy in retrospect that he came up at the same time as Cotto, and was actually seen as the more promising of the two.

Was it really too much too soon though? Was he matched up much harder than Cotto? Not that I recall tbh, but I don't have a clear recollection.

Its not that he was matched hard, it's that he was rushed to the top and hyped. He was also pampered. Evangelista Cotto wasnt easy on Miguel in any way

BTW the other guy I mentioned, Wes Ferguson... this is him sparring Rey Beltran:

Panchito Bojado for sure.

I remember when Cotto was playing second fiddle to Bojado in the hype stakes as they came onto the scene at a similar time, and wow, compare their respective careers and ability.

Holy $h!+ does that name bring back memories to when I was a fairly new boxing fan. They were pushing him HARD! I still remember him in the ESPN studio laying out his plans for greatness. Good choice lol!

Holy $h!+ does that name bring back memories to when I was a fairly new boxing fan. They were pushing him HARD! I still remember him in the ESPN studio laying out his plans for greatness. Good choice lol!

Absolutely, I thought it would bring back memories for some of you ;)

I'm sure most of us have been boxing fans for a while, so I was really surprised he wasn't getting mentioned as he fits this to a T.

Vernon Paris.

I was managing Tocco's when he trained there with Floyd Sr. for that fight with Tim Coleman. Floyd fired him in the middle of camp for inconsistency and refusing to go run. He had a sparring session with a gym fighter and got handled. Guy was a Pro, but a 2-1 Pro. Vernon was like 26-0 with 24 ko's or whatever lol

A couple of weeks later he was so desperate for sparring he sparred a Coach who also put hands on him. He did win that fight though. Then he had that Judah fight and he threw a pre-fight party at a club. Who the f*ck does that?

Tim Coleman ended up homeless and addicted to drugs.

I was managing Tocco's when he trained there with Floyd Sr. for that fight with Tim Coleman. Floyd fired him in the middle of camp for inconsistency and refusing to go run. He had a sparring session with a gym fighter and got handled. Guy was a Pro, but a 2-1 Pro. Vernon was like 26-0 with 24 ko's or whatever lol

A couple of weeks later he was so desperate for sparring he sparred a Coach who also put hands on him. He did win that fight though. Then he had that Judah fight and he threw a pre-fight party at a club. Who the f*ck does that?

damn that's an informative post. really sad, too.

Shit man, I thought that was a fun fight back in the day. Really thought Vernon had some potential there for a min. Makes sense he had issues, I remember he was stabbed/shot by some crack heads back in Detroit or something. Kept pissing hot for weed etc. He had it hard as a kid, I guess. But so did a lot of guys.

Really sad about Tim too, he had a sick ko back in the day and was a very solid fighter in his own right.

Ahhh the Zab beatdown, I knew he was done after that. That was in like a hs gym or something iirc Zab really showed him what class of fighter he was. Sad story but an important and well told one, thanks for the info!

Shit man, I thought that was a fun fight back in the day. Really thought Vernon had some potential there for a min. Makes sense he had issues, I remember he was stabbed/shot by some crack heads back in Detroit or something. Kept pissing hot for weed etc. He had it hard as a kid, I guess. But so did a lot of guys.

Really sad about Tim too, he had a sick ko back in the day and was a very solid fighter in his own right.

Ahhh the Zab beatdown, I knew he was done after that. That was in like a hs gym or something iirc Zab really showed him what class of fighter he was. Sad story but an important and well told one, thanks for the info!

Its interesting to think that this moment was probably the pinnacle of both of these kids' lives:

Because to watch the fight itself youd think theyd both only go up from there. Doesnt always work out that way.

You know another Floyd Sr. affiliated guy this thread reminded me of is Mike Jones. J Russell Peltz was so high on him and he had all the tools you'd need to be a Champ. After he lost to Randall Bailey Peltz sent him here to Vegas to train with Floyd Sr. And when he came to Tocco's he was such a nice guy. Paid his dues without any fuss and was very personable in the gym. Then he had ONE bad sparring session against Andre Dirrell and Floyd immediately ignored him for like the next month. Some of Floyd's other fighters even mentioned it to him, that Mike is there every day and works his ass off. This dude sold house in Philly to move to Vegas, brought his wife and kids. He didnt do much after that. But that War with Soto-Karass was great:

Back