News NCAA Division 1 champion and only man to beat Gable Steveson, Anthony Cassar, signs with Fury FC

Will Anthony Cassar make it to the UFC?

• Total voters
Within the freestyle heavyweight rankings in the US, there is only one.

rucoy-highlander.gif

NXT is a big show even if it is a developmental. Gable never did anything in professional wrestling and is starting in one of the biggest shows. He's not behind at all, quite the opposite. As a pro wrestler he is forgettable but again, he is starting from scratch and doesn't seem like a natural.

He also has a clause where he is allowed to compete in the amateurs. So he is making 6 figures while amateur wrestling. Not a bad deal all things considering. Much better than if he had went to Bellator or UFC.

Thing is how long are they willing to wait because like you said he is not natural and cannot get crowd to react to him atm. But sure there is time. I wont lie Id like to see him in real competion in his prime years. I think its a better fit. But good for him making that dollar to pay the bills I guess.

Yep. Another one (and a similar-sized and skilled wrestler) was Tom Erickson. Like Couture, he started NHB/MMA in his early 30s in the mid-90s. Then he took a 2-year break followed by a 3-year break a few years later to wrestle, maybe coach wrestling and do K-1 kickboxing (not his specialty at all). Word is no one wanted to fight him when he was younger, including Kerr and Coleman. It's possible he could've been the top HW circa 1997-99 if he fought consistently in the UFC and/or Japan and faced Coleman/Kerr (he obliterated Randleman already), Bas, Igor V., Couture, Rizzo and whoever else was willing to fight him. But we'll never know.

I haven't really paid much attention to Tom Erickson to be able to say that I'd have a good idea how he'd have done if things went differently for him, especially him having started out late, but I'm sure someone like that could've have found greater success if things worked out for him better, but like you say it's something we'd never know unfortunately.

Indeed, three guys are the unsung heroes of our sport. Like I was watching some random dude the other week who agreed to fight 6"7 Olympic taekwondo bronze medalist Robelis Despaigne.

He lost in about 10 seconds, but still takes some stones.

TKD is a joke so don't blame him for trying

I haven't really paid much attention to Tom Erickson to be able to say that I'd have a good idea how he'd have done if things went differently for him, especially him having started out late, but I'm sure someone like that could've have found greater success if things worked out for him better, but like you say it's something we'd never know unfortunately.
He took a 2-year layoff when he was only about 34, undefeated in 7 fights and just getting started in the sport...and when the sport was young and unevolved enough for a big, durable, elite wrestler with decent submission defense and powerful striking to make huge waves (1997-99). Then he fights with more mixed results and takes another 3-year layoff. No one is going to have much success doing that--not him, Lesnar, Poatan, Cormier, Couture or anyone else who got a late start to MMA.

He took a 2-year layoff when he was only about 34, undefeated in 7 fights and just getting started in the sport...and when the sport was young and unevolved enough for a big, durable, elite wrestler with decent submission defense and powerful striking to make huge waves (1997-99). Then he fights with more mixed results and takes another 3-year layoff. No one is going to have much success doing that--not him, Lesnar, Poatan, Cormier, Couture or anyone else who got a late start to MMA.

No, those circumstances would make it very difficult for anyone to have success in MMA. We'd never know how it would've played out, but I'm sure he was a tough sun of a gun, still to this day.

Reactions: mkt
You don't remember the story of why he came to the ufc with only 2 fights? He had 2 fights then couldn't get a regional fight for 2 years.... so AKA begged to get him into the ufc because they could not find willing opponents....

Reminds me of Pat Cummings. Before he got into the UFC on short notice to fight Daniel Cormier, he was on the MMA Hour saying no regional fighter was willing to fight him.

If you're accomplished in other martial arts, and you're just getting into MMA, it must be extremely hard finding opponents on the regional scene.

Bellator used to sign a load of fighters making their pro debuts (Pico, McKee, Edwards, Ruth, Fortune brothers, etc.)

I was there for his debut in iKON FC. It wasn't a Bo Nickal-style steamrolling, but it was a one sided first round finish. Excited to see what he can do.

is he going to fight at HW or LHW? it says he is 6 ft 2.. 237? I mean its not too short for HW...

at 27 years old with only 1 fight... he had better get a move on if he wants to be champion level before like... 32? he needs at least 10 fights so like 2 a year thats 5 years unless he can get like 4 guys lined up in a row.
Why does he need 10 fights? He could easily rack up a heap of wins if he needs to but he could easily get into the UFC with 5 good wins and probably do alright at HW or LHW just on wrestling alone.

Why does he need 10 fights? He could easily rack up a heap of wins if he needs to but he could easily get into the UFC with 5 good wins and probably do alright at HW or LHW just on wrestling alone.
You don't have very good reading comprehension

You don't have very good reading comprehension
He can just Pereira it up and beat a couple good guys quickly. He is a bigger guy and can have success as an older guy in his divisions, especially at HW if he went there(which he should) if he wants the quickest route.

Havent seen him before this but he just looked bad against an 0-1 37 year old. Granted its early in his career but based on that he is a long, long, looooooong way off being UFC ready.

Cole Konrad retired in 2012 and is still under 40. If he stayed in Bellator, I think there's a chance he could still be an undefeated champ. Look how Kongo did in his 40s with far inferior wrestling. I think he could've done well if he eventually moved to the UFC, but don't think he'd be undefeated.

If there were ever a time for wrestlers to develop and do well at HW (and even LHW and MW) it's now. HW has been weak, aging and dominated by strikers, as seen in the recent Gane and Rozenstruik fights where fighters thought they could kickbox all the time and not worry about the ground.

I mean striking has typically dominated the higher weight classes for a long time. No one wants to shoot a double leg on a guy with donkey kong hammer fist.

Back