NCAA Wrestling

Any chance Nolf follows Bo into mma?

So I need to give kind of a long winded answer to that.

Growing up, one of the clubs Jason trained at was run by Isaac Greeley. He was a D2 AA at Pitt-Johnstown. Now, Isaac runs The Mat Factory which is the gym former UFCer Chris Dempsey trains out of. Isaac is also a BJJ black belt and a damn good competitor on the local scene despite being in his 40s. So I assume there has to be something in the back of Jason's mind about it.

Jason did say that he's planning on giving ADCC a go the next cycle so that makes me think that if he can't break through on the international wrestling circuit, that MMA is probably his fall-back. On the topic of wrestling, I did ask him about his jump to 74kg. He basically said that his mindset is that no matter where he goes, he's going to win. He said he's walking around at 183 and the cut down to 70 was becoming way too hard.

Growing up, one of the clubs Jason trained at was run by Isaac Greeley. He was a D2 AA at Pitt-Johnstown. Now, Isaac runs The Mat Factory which is the gym former UFCer Chris Dempsey trains out of. Isaac is also a BJJ black belt and a damn good competitor on the local scene despite being in his 40s. So I assume there has to be something in the back of Jason's mind about it.

Jason did say that he's planning on giving ADCC a go the next cycle so that makes me think that if he can't break through on the international wrestling circuit, that MMA is probably his fall-back. On the topic of wrestling, I did ask him about his jump to 74kg. He basically said that his mindset is that no matter where he goes, he's going to win. He said he's walking around at 183 and the cut down to 70 was becoming way too hard.
Damn, didn't realize he was that big (183 lbs). Sounds like the cut to 157 might not have been the easiest, either. Very cool about his potential interest in submission grappling / ADCC. He definitely has a style of wrestling that would transition well to BJJ. Would absolutely love to see that happen.

Yeah, the weight surprised me as well. He's thicker than you'd expect. Maybe 5'9" or 5'10" but just rock solid in a long and lean way.

I’m assuming he’s pretty damn good at BJJ

Nolf is pretty clueless about BJJ. When he was explaining different techniques, Isaac had to frequently chime in and explain how they were applicable for BJJ and not just wrestling.

If you're referring to my coach in the vid, he got his black belt earlier this year. He's a Bellator vet with like a 12-4 record.

I've been sportin' wood all day.

Appreciate the detailed response. I’m always torn between these high level guys going to mma or staying in wrestling. Do you think this is a decision he’d make after

2020, or a couple more years of giving it a try? More than anything I just don’t like the one foot out the door approach like Nickal is doing imo. Commit to one or the other. I follow Bo pretty closely on social media and it’s ridiculously apparent he’s not focused completely on wrestling right now.

edit: I can’t stand mobile on this site

I would be cool to see recent graduates jump on the grappling cards like Fight2Win or even the regional ADCC tournaments.

With timed matches that are scored, I would think some of the high level guys could make some money by playing the takedown/let 'em up game for a five-minute clock run.

I’m assuming he’s pretty damn good at BJJ

It's really hard to tell, I would have thought Askren would be a BJJ wiz, but he isn't. He has his own style of fighting based on folkstyle wrestling, but in a straight no gi BJJ match against a good BJJ guy he usually loses. Just so we are clear, Askren would beat those BJJ guys in MMA or Folkstyle wrestling, but not in BJJ. It is really hard to tell how good Nolf would be at BJJ.

It's really hard to tell, I would have thought Askren would be a BJJ wiz, but he isn't. He has his own style of fighting based on folkstyle wrestling, but in a straight no gi BJJ match against a good BJJ guy he usually loses. Just so we are clear, Askren would beat those BJJ guys in MMA or Folkstyle wrestling, but not in BJJ. It is really hard to tell how good Nolf would be at BJJ.

I don't think that is necessarily true. Wrestlers can very well hold their own in an ADCC type rule set. We are just coming off of an ADCC where Nick Rodriguez, a blue belt with like 6 months of serious training ran the gauntlet and took bronze over tough opposition. He was aided by the fact that he had a wrestling background at a mediocre D3 school in my native state of Virginia at Ferrum College. Back in the day Chris Weidman gave fits to seasoned BJJ players in no-gi as well. As said, neither of these guys were top tier elite wrestlers. It would however be very hard for a novice to compete in the gi. ADCC and Gi Jiu-Jitsu are increasingly becoming 2 very different sports. Keenan Cornelius and Josh Hinger talked about this in their latest episode. In case you don't know who Rodriguez is by the way, he is the cat that wrestled Downey at the latest "Who's #1".

I don't think that is necessarily true. Wrestlers can very well hold their own in an ADCC type rule set. We are just coming off of an ADCC where Nick Rodriguez, a blue belt with like 6 months of serious training ran the gauntlet and took bronze over tough opposition. He was aided by the fact that he had a wrestling background at a mediocre D3 school in my native state of Virginia at Ferrum College. Back in the day Chris Weidman gave fits to seasoned BJJ players in no-gi as well. As said, neither of these guys were top tier elite wrestlers. It would however be very hard for a novice to compete in the gi. ADCC and Gi Jiu-Jitsu are increasingly becoming 2 very different sports. Keenan Cornelius and Josh Hinger talked about this in their latest episode. In case you don't know who Rodriguez is by the way, he is the cat that wrestled Downey at the latest "Who's #1".

I agree with everything you are saying, however ADCC and BJJ have different rule sets. ADCC is much more Takedown, and slam friendly. A good wrestler with good Mat work will transfer over much better to ADCC than to IBJJF.

I agree with everything you are saying, however ADCC and BJJ have different rule sets. ADCC is much more Takedown, and slam friendly. A good wrestler with good Mat work will transfer over much better to ADCC than to IBJJF.

Pretty much this. Gi is an entirely different game. While I'm getting better, my no gi game is still miles ahead of my gi game. Kinda like playing guard vs. being a top position guy.

Downey is training with Colby lol. Just the thought of these two in a room together. Hope he goes into mma after. He’d be a riot.

This is a pretty good article covering similar to what you state:

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/how-o...-jitsu-to-bring-the-ultimate-army-to-f2w-120/

Downey is training with Colby lol. Just the thought of these two in a room together. Hope he goes into mma after. He’d be a riot.
Downey has actually already signed a pro fight contract with Cerrone' s promotion a couple years back. The fight fell through but at least we know he's up for it. He does seem Re dedicated to wrestling though.

Back