NCAA Wrestling

I am with you mostly; not sure about 61, I am going with Idrisov, or the Azerbaijani who beat up Bonne a few times before; 65 is a minefield.. I hope Rashidov will finally get his gold (third time is the charm..) and I think Akgul will beat Petriashvili, but the rest are the same. Looking forward to Baev and Sidakov.

61 is a crap shoot for me. Japan seems to consistently produce some excellent wrestlers in the lower weights. I believe their 61 wrestler is the junior world champ. Going out on a limb and taking him as the ‘surprise’ champ. I love watching Bonne wrestle but I’ll pick against him as the favorite. Outside of last year he has consistently found strange ways to lose and his gas tank is always questionable.

How do you guys think Micic fits in a 57?

We'll see but Irie has lost to Vinesh from India twice at Asian championships in the last couple of years. So I wouldn't call her a lock for gold, maybe close to a lock to medal which would suck if she gets a bronze and freezes Susaki out of the team... they'll have to come up with a way to break their selection rules maybe ;)
Soooo, I guess we get a wrestle-off now? Irie was defeated by Yanan Sun (China) in the quarter-finals, Wu was then defeated by Stadnik (who Susaki destroyed lol) and Irie had no chance to medal now. Interesting. I think it makes it a bit easier to choose; we now Susaki would have won gold this year.

And screw these Japanese greco wrestlers, they have beat us twice in the final. We will have our revenge next year!

How do you guys think Micic fits in a 57?
57 is a very deep weight class but I don’t think it necessarily has the barrier of entries at the top like some of the other weight classes. There aren’t any Sadulaev, Burroughs, Yazdani, Akgul, Dake, etc. types. So while it’s deep, I could see Micic making a deep run if he gets hot. He certainly has the talent imo.

Soooo, I guess we get a wrestle-off now? Irie was defeated by Yanan Sun (China) in the quarter-finals, Wu was then defeated by Stadnik (who Susaki destroyed lol) and Irie had no chance to medal now. Interesting. I think it makes it a bit easier to choose; we now Susaki would have won gold this year.

And screw these Japanese greco wrestlers, they have beat us twice in the final. We will have our revenge next year!

I think the winner of their national championships at the end of the year is ultimately selected in any class that doesn't medal at the worlds.

Hey, it's only fate that Susaki is the team star of Japan's star team at Tokyo... ;) even though I was rooting for her to lose and crash out of the tournament, gotta feel a little for Irie, her big chance and it was her birthday too which now coincides with the 'day I failed at my life's goal' ;) (well, I guess she could still win their play off but... it must also suck to have everyone probably including your team staff secretly hoping you don't lol)

well, Irie still did better then ya girl Orshush.... was always going to be tough for Orsh but losing to Ecuador isn't a 'hold your head high' moment.

I didn't see their Greco guys, I usually like to watch the Japanese wrestlers because they have a fun style, but Greco is the opposite of fun to watch, not sure if they manage to make it fun regardless. That said the few bits of Greco I did watch seemed miles better than the last couple of years...

I think the winner of their national championships at the end of the year is ultimately selected in any class that doesn't medal at the worlds.

Hey, it's only fate that Susaki is the team star of Japan's star team at Tokyo... ;) even though I was rooting for her to lose and crash out of the tournament, gotta feel a little for Irie, her big chance and it was her birthday too which now coincides with the 'day I failed at my life's goal' ;) (well, I guess she could still win their play off but... it must also suck to have everyone probably including your team staff secretly hoping you don't lol)

well, Irie still did better then ya girl Orshush.... was always going to be tough for Orsh but losing to Ecuador isn't a 'hold your head high' moment.

I didn't see their Greco guys, I usually like to watch the Japanese wrestlers because they have a fun style, but Greco is the opposite of fun to watch, not sure if they manage to make it fun regardless. That said the few bits of Greco I did watch seemed miles better than the last couple of years...
It must be a tough situation for her.. but we all (well, excluding you lol) wanted Susaki in there. I can't remember the last time somebody won the 3 world championships in between the Olympics and Susaki was close to it, Risako Kawai will probably get it.

But that sucks to have lost on her birthday, after having beat the star Susaki. Hard work only to fall flat. It reminds me of Orshush lol. She honestly is pretty good; European champion x2, European Games bronze medalist and some other smaller tournaments probably. But losing to Ecuador.. it made me want to palm my face. I thought she would at least make it to the semi-finals, given her pretty weak bracket (until she would inevitably face Japan/China). But Ecuador, lol. There is always next time...

Also, I hope Nichita gets a medal, she got a silver medal at the Junior Worlds, before getting tech-falled by a Japanese wrestler lol. I am pleased for Vorobieva in the finals, maybe Koblova (who yesterday gave birth) can do it, too. But that is a long shot.

It must be a tough situation for her.. but we all (well, excluding you lol) wanted Susaki in there. I can't remember the last time somebody won the 3 world championships in between the Olympics and Susaki was close to it, Risako Kawai will probably get it.

But that sucks to have lost on her birthday, after having beat the star Susaki. Hard work only to fall flat. It reminds me of Orshush lol. She honestly is pretty good; European champion x2, European Games bronze medalist and some other smaller tournaments probably. But losing to Ecuador.. it made me want to palm my face. I thought she would at least make it to the semi-finals, given her pretty weak bracket (until she would inevitably face Japan/China). But Ecuador, lol. There is always next time...

Also, I hope Nichita gets a medal, she got a silver medal at the Junior Worlds, before getting tech-falled by a Japanese wrestler lol. I am pleased for Vorobieva in the finals, maybe Koblova (who yesterday gave birth) can do it, too. But that is a long shot.

don't get it wrong I wanted Susaki in there too, that's what I meant by kinda feeling bad wanting someone (Irie) to fail hard at their dream...

I think Ovcharova is the best Russian woman, but she's only just coming back after 2 yrs after her knee got snapped at the 2017 worlds (in her very first senior worlds match) (it was Kawai wot dunnit) ( at least no-one knocked her up while she was one-legged, like Koblova ;) ). So I dunno what we'll see from her here but she is in a smaller bracket (non-olympic weight) so I'd expect a medal.

57 and 65 brackets are out.

Fix is on the tougher side of the bracket and will likely have 2017 World Champion Takahashi in R2.

Micic has a pretty favorable draw. Would face Atli in the quarters but that’s a winnable match imo. Don’t be surprised to see him make a run.

Jesus the bottom side of 65 is absolutely insane. Zain gets Cuba in R1. Rashidov/Aliyev R1... Otoguro, Khinchegashvili, Musukaev all also on the bottom.

Holy shit we are going to see Otoguro vs. Rashidov/Aliyev R2. Either of those would be one of the most anticipated matches for me.

Holy shit we are going to see Otoguro vs. Rashidov/Aliyev R2. Either of those would be one of the most anticipated matches for me.
Honestly, Russia should move our nationals back and send our guys to Yasar Dogu or some other tournaments to avoid such ridiculous seeding lol. I want to see these matches, just not in the first matches..

Zain's draw...holy fuck. I want to see him tested but it's such an awful quad that we might not get any gauge of where he's at.

Man Bajrang got screwed badly in that semi

Thought we'd possibly see a Bajrang / Otoguro finals rematch. Nope - neither made it this year!

Sidakov is just clutch man. Finds a way.

Sidakov/Chamizo is so tough to call. I think Chamizo gets sloppy at some point and Sidakov capitalizes. He’s slippery as hell and for a Russian, really pushes a good pace and has a great tank. Excellent hand fighter as well.

Last edited:
I think it’s Sidakov. Chamizo still has some of that Cuban in him. Meaning he makes dumb mistakes, doesn’t push the pace, etc.

I am with Sidakov, of course, but I think he is one of the best hand-fighters in wrestling right now. He never let's his opponents take a break when in close and has that throw-by that nobody can defend lol.

If he beats Chamizo a third time, I think Sidakov is a pretty heavy favorite for Olympic gold.

and let's go, David Baev! I think he beats Kaipanov fairly easily tomorrow.

I am with Sidakov, of course, but I think he is one of the best hand-fighters in wrestling right now. He never let's his opponents take a break when in close and has that throw-by that nobody can defend lol.

If he beats Chamizo a third time, I think Sidakov is a pretty heavy favorite for Olympic gold.

and let's go, David Baev! I think he beats Kaipanov fairly easily tomorrow.
Kind of a fantasy matchup right now - but Sidakov vs. Dake in 2020 would be an interesting matchup. This assumes Dake dethrones JB at 74 at the Oly trials (which I personally think is likely).

Back