NCAA Wrestling

Sidakov is just clutch man. Finds a way.
Sidakov's pushout at the end vs. JB (this year) was just pure determination and grit. He was in a rather terrible position and just kept his feet moving to power through. Hard not to be a fan of him.

Kind of a fantasy matchup right now - but Sidakov vs. Dake in 2020 would be an interesting matchup. This assumes Dake dethrones JB at 74 at the Oly trials (which I personally think is likely).
It is pretty likely, but outside of the worlds, Burroughs still seems to be bullying and dominating every other wrestler he faces - like at the US Open and World team qualifiers. I am interested to see if Dake can go without giving up a point again, really impressive.

I hope we can get Cox vs. Sadulaev, too and Bajrang Punia vs. Rashidov (although I am pretty confident that Rashidov dominates Punia).

Much as I HATE to see Burroughs lose, its good that his decline is gradual. He's still medaling. He has smoked the French-Russian at least once, he'll get bronze again. On the other hand, he's still good enough to come within a hair of being world champ.

Kind of a fantasy matchup right now - but Sidakov vs. Dake in 2020 would be an interesting matchup. This assumes Dake dethrones JB at 74 at the Oly trials (which I personally think is likely).

See I actually disagree with you. If it was at 79 I would favor Dake. But we forget how much of a toll it takes on you body to make that cut. Look at Aliyev when he cut down to 57 kg last Olympics, or James Green at 65 kg in 2016 as well. I would be very surprised if Dake wins.

Last edited:
See I actually disagree with you. If it was at 79 I would favor Dake. But we forget how much of a toll it takes on you body to make that cut. Look at Aliyev when he cut down to 57 kg last Olympics, or James Green at 65 kg games last year. I would be very surprised if Dake wins.

Agree. Dake won’t be the same wrestler at 74. If I’m being honest, I wouldn’t be that surprised if Imar beats him in the trial semis.

See I actually disagree with you. If it was at 79 I would favor Dake. But we forget how much of a toll it takes on you body to make that cut. Look at Aliyev when he cut down to 57 kg last Olympics, or James Green at 65 kg in 2016 as well. I would be very surprised if Dake wins.
Fair point. Perhaps Dake is just unlucky to be stuck in no-man's land as far as Olympic weights are concerned. He's maybe too big for 74 and probably too small for 86. Cox seems to be in a similar conundrum with regards to 86 / 97.

Cox is the World Champ at 92 kg. 0 points scored against.

Fair point. Perhaps Dake is just unlucky to be stuck in no-man's land as far as Olympic weights are concerned. He's maybe too big for 74 and probably too small for 86. Cox seems to be in a similar conundrum with regards to 86 / 97.

I think Dake should go 79 next Olympic cycle and strictly focus on bulking to go 86. He is kind of stuck in no mans land

I will call it now, Cox will take out Snyder at Olympic trials next year.

I was under the impression that Dake regularly weighs in comfortably under 79kg

I will call it now, Cox will take out Snyder at Olympic trials next year.

I hope so. I called Snyder not making it to the finals this year. Everyone was talking about him vs Sadulaev but I wasn’t convinced they were ever going to meet. Snyder has not evolved as a wrestler. He will always be a top 5 guy because of his cardio and athleticism, but he has plateaued.

I hope J’den goes to 97. I don’t think he will but I hope so.

I think Dake should go 79 next Olympic cycle and strictly focus on bulking to go 86. He is kind of stuck in no mans land
Eh I think it’s a pretty clear cut move for Dake to 74. I would favor him over Burroughs right now.

Anyone know the team scores for men’s FS? Will the US be able to place top 3 if we Snyder and Dake win?

Baev and Sidakov! I am so happy, this is like the USA's team win in 2017 and this is our 2019. Nobody has come close to us this year. Sadulaev will get gold tomorrow and Idrisov possibly, so 5/6 golds? not too bad. Naifonov will probably get a bronze.

Very frustrating that the American B team pretty much all got great draws while the A team got shit on.

Back