need .22 rifle recommendations

terrapin

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
i want to get a reliable semi automatic .22 rifle. i want it to be as powerful as it can be so i think that excludes rimfire? any of you gun guys got some ideas for a good solid reliable option? i would like to spend around 500 bucks.

i dont know much about guns so specific model recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

reliable
powerful (for a .22)
options for magazines with lots of bullets.
easy to maintain.

Last edited:
didnt realize there was a sub-forum. maybe a mod will move it.
Yeah just a better chance of the knowledgeable dudes on the site being able to give insight. Why .22? Looking to kill some varmints?

Yeah just a better chance of the knowledgeable dudes on the site being able to give insight. Why .22? Looking to kill some varmints?

i just like them and honestly because i cant miss with them.

A 22lr is going to be rimfire. If you don’t want that you need to jump up to .223. But that’s quite a difference in power and in cost. You can shoot 22lr for like 5-6 cents a round. 223 is going to run you like 45 cents per round.

40 grain bullet at 1250 fps vs a 55-65 grain bullet at 3000 fps.

If you want a reliable 22 with tons of aftermarket parts and mods then get a Ruger 10/22. Can’t go wrong.

A 22lr is going to be rimfire. If you don’t want that you need to jump up to .223. But that’s quite a difference in power and in cost. You can shoot 22lr for like 5-6 cents a round. 223 is going to run you like 45 cents per round.

If you want a reliable 22 with tons of aftermarket parts and mods then get a Ruger 10/22. Can’t go wrong.

that is very helpful. i did not know .22 only came in rimfire. i actually have my eyes on one at big 5 sports that has a stainless steele barrel and is a ruger. cheap rounds sounds great.

that is very helpful. i did not know .22 only came in rimfire. i actually have my eyes on one at big 5 sports that has a stainless steele barrel and is a ruger. cheap rounds sounds great.
I’d you live in certain states (not California like me ) you can get them shipped directly to your house too. In CA you have to ship it to a dealer or some FFL.

there are tons of 22lr styles. Check out someplace like buds gun shop online and see what you like. Ruger 10-22 is kind of the standard. Marlin made or makes a model 60 that I grew up with. I recently got a Winchester wildcat for my kids. It’s much cheaper than the Ruger. Hindsight I’d spend more and get the Ruger. I’d get the takedown model but the standard is great.

.223 is about to go through the roof as well. Ammo manufacturers are stopping civilian production to send supplies overseas

Ruger 10/22 is infinitely customizable, and an excellent plinker. A simple kit purchase turns it from this:
ruger10_22_compact-1.jpg

Into this:

AA_1022Precisionb__67447.1544813468.jpg

The .22 long rifle bullet is .223 diameter. There are .22-250 and the .22 Swift that use a .224 bullet and are centerfire.

I think you would be better off with the 10/22 rimfire. If you need knockdown power, use CCI Stinger ammo.

Back