need .22 rifle recommendations

Ruger 10/22 all day long
With an upgraded match trigger at purchase preferably. I would be more inclined towards one of their beak down models.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Rug...uto-Rimfire-Rifle-with-Stainless-Steel-Barrel
@TheNinja
@spamking
@Belaya Smert
@irish_thug
@deadshot138
How about this one you guys? This is a 10/22 and I really like the looks of this one and i THINK the only difference is it has a stainless steel barrel which i like the looks of a lot.

also what is a good standard round to get? im looking to get around 500 rounds but i dont want them to be just practice rounds if such a thing exists for a .22 rifle.

also i should tell you that this gun is for home defense i just did not want to hear a shit storm of opinions telling me to get a more powerful rifle. i cannot miss with a .22 and have done better on that gun than people who shoot them regularly (freinds taking me to the range). i have a gift with the .22 but it goes away with a higher powered rifle and i DO NOT want to spend a lot of time shooting or practicing.

Last edited:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Rug...uto-Rimfire-Rifle-with-Stainless-Steel-Barrel
@TheNinja
@spamking
@Belaya Smert
@irish_thug
@deadshot138
How about this one you guys? This is a 10/22 and I really like the looks of this one and i THINK the only difference is it has a stainless steel barrel which i like the looks of a lot.

also what is a good standard round to get? im looking to get around 500 rounds but i dont want them to be just practice rounds if such a thing exists for a .22 rifle.

also i should tell you that this gun is for home defense i just did not want to hear a shit storm of opinions telling me to get a more powerful rifle. i cannot miss with a .22 and have done better on that gun than people who shoot them regularly (freinds taking me to the range). i have a gift with the .22 but it goes away with a higher powered rifle and i DO NOT want to spend a lot of time shooting or practicing.
You won't get a shit storm from me, I'm a huge fan of .22lr for small game hunting and for plinking. But they lack stopping power. It's not a matter of accuracy with the weapon system, it's a matter of how much damage the round does on impact. There are an unfortunate number of stories where assailants were hit, sometimes multiple times, with an underpowered round but still had enough fine motor control to squeeze off fatal rounds.

There was a cop in my neck of the woods named Tod Bailis (probably screwing up the spelling) that was murdered by a guy he had successfully shot several times. Unfortunately he was using .38. that was the catalyst for Toronto police switching to glocks back in the 90's.

Home defense is a close quarters game, get a 12 guage.

@TheNinja
@spamking
@Belaya Smert
@irish_thug
@deadshot138

My buddy has some .22 AR style varient years ago with a large magazine. It shot dead on at 25 yards with ease. You can lay a lot of rounds down range accurately with a .22.

You won't get a shit storm from me, I'm a huge fan of .22lr for small game hunting and for plinking. But they lack stopping power. It's not a matter of accuracy with the weapon system, it's a matter of how much damage the round does on impact. There are an unfortunate number of stories where assailants were hit, sometimes multiple times, with an underpowered round but still had enough fine motor control to squeeze off fatal rounds.

There was a cop in my neck of the woods named Tod Bailis (probably screwing up the spelling) that was murdered by a guy he had successfully shot several times. Unfortunately he was using .38. that was the catalyst for Toronto police switching to glocks back in the 90's.

Home defense is a close quarters game, get a 12 guage.

for middle of the night home defense we have an alarm system, 4 dogs and a 20 gauge shotgun with 00 rounds in it. the .22 would be more for other needs honestly. i got it today with a stainless steel barrel and a 50 round magazine.

for middle of the night home defense we have an alarm system, 4 dogs and a 20 gauge shotgun with 00 rounds in it. the .22 would be more for other needs honestly. i got it today with a stainless steel barrel and a 50 round magazine.
Gotta love a trip to bass pro

@TheNinja
@spamking
@Belaya Smert
@irish_thug
@deadshot138

For practice ammo I like Aguila. For home defense there are a few options. A lot of people love the CCI stinger or CCI Mini Mag. stinger is a lighter bullet but faster so pretty good power for a 22.

Look up a YouTube video of a guy named Paul Harrell. He does some 22lr comparisons. Also decent Reddit page here.

Wood version?
No. I got a stainless steel barrel and a carbon stock. I almost get the take down version but the one they had didn't work so I went with the normal one.

You probably already know, but the 10/22 Ruger has tons of options and you can customize lots of different ways, but I probably won't do much of that frankly.

For practice ammo I like Aguila. For home defense there are a few options. A lot of people love the CCI stinger or CCI Mini Mag. stinger is a lighter bullet but faster so pretty good power for a 22.

Look up a YouTube video of a guy named Paul Harrell. He does some 22lr comparisons. Also decent Reddit page here.

I will do that. Thank you for the resource.

I've seen guys that are into lots of different guns make a great case for a 22. as a self-defense rifle, there are some advantages that some people prefer over larger rifles.

I'm not really into guns and I don't really care that much.... I've got a 20 gauge shotgun a 38 special hammerless and now this 22.

@terrapin Get an AR15 and if you don't like .223/5.56 you can always get a .22 conversion kit for it.

<seedat>

Ya, that CMMG conversion kit, you can get on sale for like $170 or even a bit lower if you wait for sales! It's a great deal. Unfortunately for me, I live the communist state of California so I can only get the 10 round mag and they never go on sale :(. I may get one for Christmas anyway. I have the Springfield Saint AR.

Oooh. Just saw Palmetto State as the 3 @ 10rd version for $203.

I will do that. Thank you for the resource.

I've seen guys that are into lots of different guns make a great case for a 22. as a self-defense rifle, there are some advantages that some people prefer over larger rifles.

I'm not really into guns and I don't really care that much.... I've got a 20 gauge shotgun a 38 special hammerless and now this 22.

Just to be clear, I don't necessarily advocate for a 22 being a good home defense gun. BUT if you shoot it accurately and feel most comfortable with it then it's better than nothing and can certainly bring a person down. I've always read that shot placement is FAR more important than fire power. You still have your shotgun and 38 if needed as well.

Just to be clear, I don't necessarily advocate for a 22 being a good home defense gun. BUT if you shoot it accurately and feel most comfortable with it then it's better than nothing and can certainly bring a person down. I've always read that shot placement is FAR more important than fire power. You still have your shotgun and 38 if needed as well.

I would never pick up my 22 over the shotgun if there was someone in my home. If someone is in my home, the shotgun is the gun I'll pick up. But let's say that unrest turns this country into a third world S*******. And because of that various bad actors feel emboldened and try to take people's homes and stuff from a distance that I can see coming. That is when I would use the 22.

I don't have a bunker and I don't have a militia so if some serious group wants my stuff they are going to get it. I'm just thinking of the average pleb trying to take my stuff.

Ya, that CMMG conversion kit, you can get on sale for like $170 or even a bit lower if you wait for sales! It's a great deal. Unfortunately for me, I live the communist state of California so I can only get the 10 round mag and they never go on sale :(. I may get one for Christmas anyway. I have the Springfield Saint AR.

Oooh. Just saw Palmetto State as the 3 @ 10rd version for $203.
$170 with $10 shipping and no sales tax since you don't live in TX: https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?...products_id=27880&referrer=cnwr_4191340829622

Last edited:

one last point on shot placement. i just can fucking miss with a .22. my friend took me shooting and he is way into guns and had a .22 and an ar15 and other guns. he actually got pissed at me because of how good i was with a .22... i just cant miss. if i want to shoot somebody in the neck i can... if i want his eye im going to get that eye.

it means a lot to know you arent going to miss.

Thanks man!! This website seems pretty sketchy or maybe it’s just old. Maybe they don’t spend money on their website so they can keep things cheaper ?

do you know if it’s a reputable company website?

edit: looks like generally very very positive reviews online. Looks legit for sure.
I've used them quite a few times, they're legit and have fast shipping.

Back