Need more protection for my hands...any recommendations?

OkieHitMan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all, seen a thousand of these in the past. However, with all the new companies and my devotion to many older brands I am lost. As I have gotten older 36 now, my knuckles have taken a beating. Been at it for about 30 years now in some form of boxing training. Always stuck to Reyes or Everlast Or grant or winning. However, currently looking to spend well under 200 bucks. Need me a glove preferably 16 oz for just bag work as that is what I am limited to at the moment. Any suggestions? Sabas..Top Boxer..Ring to Cage..Rival? Any other cleto's out there that I can use. Please help..lost in a sea of new glove brands and need better protection. Thanks.

Winning still seems to be the gold standard in overall hand protection.

Sabas SuperSoft ($110) and Ring To Cage C17 ($100) might be good options, they're both Winning-inspired and perform really well in the knuckle protection department.

May I ask for your experiences with Winning? Durability, protection, how many pairs you've gone through, etc. And do you still have any pairs laying around?

Also, you might want to add the Winning NG2 gel knuckle guards, a definite staple for additional protection used by many pros.

Last edited:
I've been blasting the heavy bag with my top boxers and my hands feel great. I'd definetly give his stuff some consideration.

+1 on the winning ng-2. There's a guide on here that Stratocaster posted that was pretty good. If it fits well to your hand, chances are the glove will be more protective. Custom top boxers are always an excellent choice.

Id invest on some custom gloves from topboxer since he can accommodate more to your needs in hand protection. Also id start using some leroy gauze handwraps if you havent already for added protection.

Id invest on some custom gloves from topboxer since he can accommodate more to your needs in hand protection. Also id start using some leroy gauze handwraps if you havent already for added protection.

I've been considering trying out those Leroy wraps. Do they have the usual thumb loop and velcro closure? Hows the durability compared to typical Mexican style wraps?

Hi all, seen a thousand of these in the past. However, with all the new companies and my devotion to many older brands I am lost. As I have gotten older 36 now, my knuckles have taken a beating. Been at it for about 30 years now in some form of boxing training. Always stuck to Reyes or Everlast Or grant or winning. However, currently looking to spend well under 200 bucks. Need me a glove preferably 16 oz for just bag work as that is what I am limited to at the moment. Any suggestions? Sabas..Top Boxer..Ring to Cage..Rival? Any other cleto's out there that I can use. Please help..lost in a sea of new glove brands and need better protection. Thanks.
giant-inflatable-boxing-gloves.jpg

Sorry...I'm feeling silly today.

Why are you giving up on Cleto's?

They're under $200...

There's an actual Cleto Reyes store in San Diego, if you're in the area.

Why are you giving up on Cleto's?

They're under $200...

There's an actual Cleto Reyes store in San Diego, if you're in the area.

It's a general consensus opinion (not necessarily true) that Cleto's are not a hand friendly glove. I can only go as far as to say that they're not friendly to my thumbs. Although, they have been making some extra padded training gear that I'd love to try out eventually.

I've been considering trying out those Leroy wraps. Do they have the usual thumb loop and velcro closure? Hows the durability compared to typical Mexican style wraps?

Le Roy wraps don't have the thumb loop nor do they have velcro, they are much closer to gauze bandages than regular mexican style wraps. I personally prefer them to Mexican style wraps, but when I do use them I always use a knuckle pad made out of either toliet paper or just another pair of Le Roy wraps themselves and I have to use two pairs per hand regardless of the knuckle pad. They can be reused without issue but anytime they come in contact with velcro they don't fare as well as regular wraps and kind of get a little torn and fluffy, but that's not to say they are not reasonably durable. I've had mine for only over a month now and apart from a little degradation due to velcro I haven't seen any issue with them.

Le Roy wraps don't have the thumb loop nor do they have velcro, they are much closer to gauze bandages than regular mexican style wraps. I personally prefer them to Mexican style wraps, but when I do use them I always use a knuckle pad made out of either toliet paper or just another pair of Le Roy wraps themselves and I have to use two pairs per hand regardless of the knuckle pad. They can be reused without issue but anytime they come in contact with velcro they don't fare as well as regular wraps and kind of get a little torn and fluffy, but that's not to say they are not reasonably durable. I've had mine for only over a month now and apart from a little degradation due to velcro I haven't seen any issue with them.

Le Roy makes a thumb loop handwrap, by the way. Obviously, the double wrap bandaged hand-wrap is always going to be better in terms of overall protection and comfort (the pro wrap), but their Primero handwraps are awesome anyways. I know some pro's have used and still use sponges over the knuckles in addition to the toliet paper.

Also, the best wraps are not the most durable wraps. The best wraps are very thin and long, because layering provides the greatest surface area to disperse the most force, which is why the disposable pro wrap combined with tape is the best. But the technique by which the hands are wrapped is also very, very important.

http://www.ambraleroy.com/combat-sports.html

It's a general consensus opinion (not necessarily true) that Cleto's are not a hand friendly glove. I can only go as far as to say that they're not friendly to my thumbs. Although, they have been making some extra padded training gear that I'd love to try out eventually.
Now that you mention it, I do recall clanking my right thumb whenever I landed one of my devastating right crosses!

Now that you mention it, I do recall clanking my right thumb whenever I landed one of my devastating right crosses!

I can't tell if you're being facetious, but it happened with the Rival Rs1, a glove that I actually really like and has good knuckle protection. I tried to give them another chance, but it just funked my thumb over again. It's a pretty terrible feeling.

I can't tell if you're being facetious, but it happened with the Rival Rs1, a glove that I actually really like and has good knuckle protection. I tried to give them another chance, but it just funked my thumb over again. It's a pretty terrible feeling.
No, I'm NOT being facetious...or am I?

No, seriously, it always happened with the tip of my right thumb. The rest of the glove felt great, though...not to mention Cletos are definitely attention-grabbers, especially when you're rocking the Mexican colors...

guante-cleto-reyes-entrenamiento-tp_1474156620670919444f.jpg

No, I'm NOT being facetious...or am I?

No, seriously, it always happened with the tip of my right thumb. The rest of the glove felt great, though...not to mention Cletos are definitely attention-grabbers, especially when you're rocking the Mexican colors...

guante-cleto-reyes-entrenamiento-tp_1474156620670919444f.jpg
they are good looking gloves..however, good looking and jamming thumbs don't solve my knuckle issues.

a low tech method is just to buy gloves that are a bit oversized (a lot of bag gloves come in S/M versus L/XL) and then double wrap your hands.

they are good looking gloves..however, good looking and jamming thumbs don't solve my knuckle issues.
It really sucks that there aren't more serious boxing equipment stores to try out equipment before you buy it.

We have to resort to websites that may or may not send us what we're looking for.

It really sucks that there aren't more serious boxing equipment stores to try out equipment before you buy it.

We have to resort to websites that may or may not send us what we're looking for.
you hit the nail right on the head..sometimes a 100 dollar pair of gloves can turn into 200 or close with return shipping!!

As the previous guy said, they dont have thumb loops or velcro secure but they do make ones with thumb loop...as the other guy said. I use two per hand as well, i make a padding with the first wrap as well as start off the wrap with it, then finish it off in between my fingers with the second wrap. They usually last me for about 2 months but they're very protective and i dont feel any circulation problems like i would with other wraps.

Where in the 707 are you from btw?

I've heard great things about the Revgear Sentinel as far as hand/knuckle protection is concerned...should be able to find them for $70-$85

Back