New STAR WARS Trilogy (Update: Rian Johnson Says His Trilogy is Still Happening)

{<jordan}

I'm not even kidding I get nervous every time I watch that scene... :p The way he lights it up & swings it around the room... lol... Uncle Owen findz them 2 dayz later both cut in half. :eek:

tenor.gif
I wonder, "How does he know how to turn it on? Why is the old man letting someone who's never handled a laser sword swing it around? While not paying particular attention?" I think Obi Wan even turns to look out a window or something at one point

I think we all have to accept that Star wars had its time. There will never be another Star wars movie that is so well focused and with such solid story structure as the original trilogy.
None like ESB that transcend sci fi boilerplate and become something close to cinematic art, that everyone can agree is an excellent film.

I think we all have to accept that Star wars had its time. There will never be another Star wars movie that is so well focused and with such solid story structure as the original trilogy.
None like ESB that transcend sci fi boilerplate and become something close to cinematic art, that everyone can agree is an excellent film.

But people on this forum say TLJ is just as good as ESB so you must be stupid or something

But people on this forum say TLJ is just as good as ESB so you must be stupid or something
I did enjoy TFA very much, it "feels like" the old SW.

But I agree with you; everyone but me is dumb and has wrong opinions.

Anyone else tired of this SW fan tradition where every new movie is hailed by early screening viewers and opening day fans as:

"Best SW film since 1980!!"

"Best SW film since Empire!!"

"First SW movie to rival Empire!"

Color me pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen for Ep IX. If it does turn out really good....how about just saying it's really awesome without comparing it to Empire.

I did enjoy TFA very much, it "feels like" the old SW.
But I agree with you; everyone but me is dumb and has wrong opinions.

This, plus you called yourself a "giant pile of horse shit" with crippling depression, Rich Evans

I did not like the Last Jedi at all. Rian Johnson made Looper which was surprisingly great so I give him slack but he needs to get his shit together if he wants to be taken seriously.

In the Last Jedi, the only scenes worth watching were the ones with Rey, Kylo Ren, and Snoke. Everything else was cringe imo.

There hasn't been a Star Wars movie worth watching since 1983 and all the mediocre piles of shit that followed since then give me zero hope that I will ever bear witness to a truly great SW movie again. Count me out.

giphy-12.gif

There is no plot logic so flawed it can't be corrected with some hasty exposition.
maybe a 10 minutes text crawl to start the movie lol.

well, my position was that as a "Star Wars film" it didn't do the job. But, as just a film, it was better than most of them.

What I mean by that is it didn't do a good job maintaining the lore, characters and overall story that fans have loved since the originals and were so protective of. They didn't like Luke's arc at all, what they did with Leia, etc.

But, the pacing, humour, editing, cinematography were relatively on point. If you could get beyond your childhood heroes being depicted in a way you didn't approve, it was alright. I didn't see a single Star Wars film until I was in my 20s, so I don't have the same attachment as others.

None of the new films should ever be held in the same esteem as empire. TLJ was hard to sit through, and cringe inducing from the first exchange between hux and poe. I kept waiting for the movie to finally get interesting. But any time there seemed to be anything interesting building up, i was let down with a wtf thats it? Movie just fell flat for me and about 90 percent of the audience i saw it with. Opening night btw, so no bad press to color the crowds opinions . I never left a theater so dejected. I could tell i wasnt the only one. All the hype from critics for this mess of a movie.
I sort of picked up a fuck you vibe from this movie while watching it. And then came the backlash and response from johnson and kennedy. Pretty much was fuck you we know better. I havent seen solo and i wont be seeing IX. I have no interest in seeing mary sue and finn stumble through another train wreck.

Rian Johnson denies latest rumors that he has walked away from the new Star Wars trilogy.

I had to search this update to find out why this bad news resurfaced, hoping there was a rectification. There isnt.

Dammit

I guess I'm just not that bothered that Luke isn't the superhero I made him out to be. Upon first viewing I was pretty shocked... but the more I looked into it the more I saw that Luke was never that guy I made him out to be. He rocked up for about 4 years... & did some really cool stuff... but he was never a Jedi master... so then he ended up like that. So What? It may be a little too close to real life for a sci fi adventure, but I don't mind it. I don't need Luke to be that guy for me to enjoy Star Wars. They still might make him that guy as a force ghost though. Yoda's lightning might be some foreshadowing.

Once you stop cringing about "not my Luke"... and accept it... you watch the movie again as it was intended... & the whole movie takes on a new aura. It's a great movie.

I know it's hard for you guyz to wrap your head around... but we are only 2/3rds through the story. I've heard from plenty of your fellow resistors that y'all don't think there's any way it can all come together & make more sense... but they had an outline for this trilogy... & it was a plan that was set into action... so lets give that a chance to play out.

If Luke cant be "that guy" because he started training so late, how do we explain Rey?. Rey has learned about the force about 72 hours before picking up a lightsaber and annihilating a group of praetorian guards. Beating up a couple thugs in the desert inst enough. She also appears to be Rens equal in pretty much everything, he even needs her help in that throne room fight. So even though hes been training presumably since he could walk under both Skywalker and Snoke, Rey has apparently caught up to him in a couple of days.

And since we include expanded universe, Luke received a great deal of training directly from Obi Wan after Episode 4.

Last edited:
Reading through the Darth Plagueis novel for the first time and I'm just sad that they don't get actual story tellers to write up a script for the movies. I'm only 70 pages in but its filled with more lore, interesting locations, compelling characters, and background information on various factions in the galaxy then both of the new trilogy movies. It really does feel like they whipped up a script in 2 weeks and didn't bother to reedit anything, like homework in high school for english that was reaching the due date.

If they do make a new trilogy I hope they go back to the Old Republic during a Sith/Jedi war and actually spend time planning out all 3 movies and get a good writing team. I would love to see a Sith vs Jedi war where Sith and Jedi were everywhere, or a movie about Darth Bane and how the rule of two came into being.

Reading through the Darth Plagueis novel for the first time and I'm just sad that they don't get actual story tellers to write up a script for the movies. I'm only 70 pages in but its filled with more lore, interesting locations, compelling characters, and background information on various factions in the galaxy then both of the new trilogy movies. It really does feel like they whipped up a script in 2 weeks and didn't bother to reedit anything, like homework in high school for english that was reaching the due date.

If they do make a new trilogy I hope they go back to the Old Republic during a Sith/Jedi war and actually spend time planning out all 3 movies and get a good writing team. I would love to see a Sith vs Jedi war where Sith and Jedi were everywhere, or a movie about Darth Bane and how the rule of two came into being.
This kills TLJ

The Old Republic would make a great new cinematic setting for Star Wars. I would hope they let it become canon and we could see some of the Revan stories adapted like the Mandalorian wars.

It's not like it cant be, but with Lucasfilm's leadership placing identity politics front and center, Star Wars is done as a big silver screen franchise.

It really sucks, because there's so much incredible lore they can pull from. I miss the late 90's/mid 2000's star wars offerings, the video games and clone wars were exploring so many intriguing settings/stories.

It's not like it cant be, but with Lucasfilm's leadership placing identity politics front and center, Star Wars is done as a big silver screen franchise.

It really sucks, because there's so much incredible lore they can pull from. I miss the late 90's/mid 2000's star wars offerings, the video games and clone wars were exploring so many intriguing settings/stories.

It's so stupid that they've torpedoed themselves in this fashion. It would all be at least palatable with a mild to moderate reduction in arrogance. Just don't have Holdo act like a bitch and don't make her look like Trigglypuff's grandma. Just have Rey learn some skills instead of suddenly having them because girls are awesome. Just don't have Hux doing pratfalls and Finn squirting out water like Ernie's bathtub rubber ducky. Just don't make Luke a nephew creeping asshole. These are layups standing on a stepladder, not three pointers.

Back