Crime New York has a Brand.... Squatters

I have been through this. Tried to remove squatters from my grandfathers place when he got sick and had to move in with my dad. My grandfather who was 80, tried to tell them to leave and they threatened him. I went down there and may have mentioned ripping his skinny little arms off(out of uniform) and they left, but later that night, new squatters moved in and were apparently paying the former squatters rent. Went to the magistrate, a man I worked with both on the police department and then many years as he was now magistrate. He set a court hearing for 6 months. I asked about filing charges of unlawful possession and he said they would do that at the six month point, especially since we didn’t even know who was living there. It had a really sad ending. A baby was abused and died and there was an arrest for child abuse causing death. I actually responded to the hospital and it was the original couple that wouldn’t leave. I called a detective immediately and they took over. They listed it as their home address even though they were no longer living there. So a bunch of county deputies went in to see if it was the place of the crime. I let them know that it was an unlawful possession and it belonged to my grandfather and they threw everyone out and we changed the locks. The crime did not occur there. We changed the locks and nailed the windows shut. The place was completely trashed. Holes in every wall, every window broken, all appliances either missing or broken. The house was actually four units and we sold it all for only 20k just to get rid of it.

So, the laws are fucked. My grandfather tried to help a pregnant woman out by letting her pay $150/month and she quit paying and let dirtbags move in. They quit paying and after I went down, they rented it out like it was their own. It was that same pregnant woman whose baby was abused by her Piece of shit man-the same one I threatened. We never told my grandfather and he died not long after that. But if I had been allowed to actually beat the hell out of people squatting and remove them, maybe all of that wouldn’t have happened. Hell, the laws wouldn’t help us and I was in law enforcement. I just know I wanted to beat their asses badly and I didn’t because it was against the law and I had a career to think of and those assholes knew that and took advantage of it.
People have to understand that there's a legal difference between people you let come in to your property vs. people who you don't allow in.

Once your grandfather agreed to let the other woman use it for $150/month, she became a tenant, not a squatter. The next group of people were subtenants of the $150 woman, also not squatters.

The important lesson for everyone in the real world is don't rent out your premises to someone unless you absolutely trust them beyond a shadow of concern. The laws for ejecting squatters are usually different from evicting people who were granted legal access in the beginning. People with legal access have more protections.

The difference to keep in mind is "permission". Was that person ever given "permission" to be in the property. And permission can follow a chain. So if I give you permission to be in my house while I'm away, I'm also giving you permission to have guests (unless I state otherwise). And now your guests have permission the same as if I'd given it to them directly.

So landlords need to establish that subtenancies are not allowed, that anyone not granted direct permission can't stay there, etc. Put it in the lease so that it can quickly established that the person is a trespasser, not a tenant or subtenant who's just not paying. And tenants that don't pay need to be evicted the very 1st month that rent is missed. No catch up payments or anything like that. Miss a month, evict.

Renting is a business and too many landlords forget that.

Usually when someone constantly points fingers at people saying they have fetishes, it is a deflection and you are projecting your true desires. It seems like it is you that want to play with women that have tackle. Just own it and stop acting like a child.
<YeahOKJen>

And yet the entire idea of property rights in the US was founded on such.
Anybody can see the difference between back then when there was just tons and tons of open land nobody owned and now.

You forgot the rule of law that also exists.
No, I didn't. Squatters rights are literally the rule of law that has always existed.

You think squatters take so long to eject because states just don't want to do it? No. It's as long as it takes because what people call squatters rights is an entire body of law known as "adverse possession".

Adverse possession is the law that grants people the right to unused property if they can establish a stronger claim in the present than the deed holder. If the possessor can establish that the deed holder has effectively abandoned use of the property then the possessor obtains legal ownership to match their present possession.

That's the rule of law.

The time required to eject an adverse possessor is because the courts have to determine if the legal requirements for adverse possession have been satisfied or not. Because ownership could have changed hands via adverse possession and the deed holder was not aware.

The reason this body of law exists is because municipalities, whether they're cities, counties or towns benefit from scarce resources, like land, being used by the residents of the municipality. It is not beneficial to have usable space sitting unused, preventing people from having housing or business owners from engaging in commerce because an out of state possessor of the property refuses to make use of it.

TL;DR? -- "Use it or lose it" plus "Possession is 9/10ths of the law." commonly known as adverse possession is the rule of law.

No, I didn't. Squatters rights are literally the rule of law that has always existed.

You think squatters take so long to eject because states just don't want to do it? No. It's as long as it takes because what people call squatters rights is an entire body of law known as "adverse possession".

Adverse possession is the law that grants people the right to unused property if they can establish a stronger claim in the present than the deed holder. If the possessor can establish that the deed holder has effectively abandoned use of the property then the possessor obtains legal ownership to match their present possession.

That's the rule of law.

The time required to eject an adverse possessor is because the courts have to determine if the legal requirements for adverse possession have been satisfied or not. Because ownership could have changed hands via adverse possession and the deed holder was not aware.

The reason this body of law exists is because municipalities, whether they're cities, counties or towns benefit from scarce resources, like land, being used by the residents of the municipality. It is not beneficial to have usable space sitting unused, preventing people from having housing or business owners from engaging in commerce because an out of state possessor of the property refuses to make use of it.

TL;DR? -- "Use it or lose it" plus "Possession is 9/10ths of the law." commonly known as adverse possession is the rule of law.
this is all nice and all, but i don't see the spirit of the law being present in this case.
on the contrary, it's charlatanism being perpetrated on rightful owners by crooks. it's not about a piece of land left to rot somewhere, or a house where no owner came about for 30 years and somebody took the time to fix it, therefore one could argue claim. this was pure charlatanism. America needs better owner protection rights.

because getting arrested for protecting your property doesn't stand well with people, no matter how much legalese sophisms you throw at it. it's just societally wrong.

Except for NYC... where its 30 days... Not years

"However, in New York City, squatters cannot be easily removed from the property if they have been living in it for 30 days, as landlords must then navigate the city's eviction laws—entering a process that can take around two years to complete. Before the process ends, owners cannot change the locks on the properties or remove squatters' belongings."

Except for NYC... where its 30 days... Not years

"However, in New York City, squatters cannot be easily removed from the property if they have been living in it for 30 days, as landlords must then navigate the city's eviction laws—entering a process that can take around two years to complete. Before the process ends, owners cannot change the locks on the properties or remove squatters' belongings."

But if you move quickly, meaning before the 30 days, then it's still via the ejectment process. And you can still evict them, they don't get ownership after 30 days. The legal process to remove them switches after 30 days.

I'm not sure how any of this contradicts the reality that this is the "rule of law". And I've explained in multiple posts why it's the rule of law.

Does it get abused sometimes? Yes. But, and I'm sure you'll appreciate this, you don't penalize the entire community of people because a small number of bad actors take advantage of loopholes.

this is all nice and all, but i don't see the spirit of the law being present in this case.
on the contrary, it's charlatanism being perpetrated on rightful owners by crooks. it's not about a piece of land left to rot somewhere, or a house where no owner came about for 30 years and somebody took the time to fix it, therefore one could argue claim. this was pure charlatanism. America needs better owner protection rights.

because getting arrested for protecting your property doesn't stand well with people, no matter how much legalese sophisms you throw at it. it's just societally wrong.
Oh, I spent very little time on this specific case. There's always going to be a case where the facts are egregious. We can justify any law or the removal of any law if we just find an extreme case in the direction that we prefer.

And America has some of the strongest owner protection rights. You're conflating the legal process with the rights themselves. Squatters don't get ownership just because they're in there. It's ludicrously easy to break through a squatter's time of possession. A simple letter stops their time line and sets the basis for removal. Then the burden shifts to them to prove otherwise.

The reason it takes so long to get through the courts is because courts have massive backlogs.

Sounds like we have shitty laws that work against normal hard working Americans.

If only we had a system where we elected people who represented us, we could get all this fixed.

Oh, I spent very little time on this specific case. There's always going to be a case where the facts are egregious. We can justify any law or the removal of any law if we just find an extreme case in the direction that we prefer.

And America has some of the strongest owner protection rights. You're conflating the legal process with the rights themselves. Squatters don't get ownership just because they're in there. It's ludicrously easy to break through a squatter's time of possession. A simple letter stops their time line and sets the basis for removal. Then the burden shifts to them to prove otherwise.

The reason it takes so long to get through the courts is because courts have massive backlogs.

Ahh... just let home owners kick them the fuck out.

lol...

Between this stuff to legalized shoplifting, and men in women's sports, and sanctuary cities that step over their own poor and minorities, Libs have jumped the shark. Only absurd shit like this could get Trump re-elected.
This is why being active in state and local politics is so important. Many people ignore what is closest to and has the most immediate impact on them, and just blather on about Biden and Trump. I bet most people who consider themselves politically engaged have never attended a city council meeting.

This is why being active in state and local politics is so important. Many people ignore what is closest to and has the most immediate impact on them, and just blather on about Biden and Trump. I bet most people who consider themselves politically engaged have never attended a city council meeting.
I also feel that so many white Libs have never lived in sanctuary cities, or with any minorities what so ever. They have this weird guilt that makes them think pandering and virtue signaling type actions alleviate it. I read an article today about a white female game developer who bragged she created a game with no white male characters. Who is she bragging to? People that have never seen a migrant wave come to their city really should STFU. To them why would it be an issue? But it always falls back to “as long as it isn’t in my backyard”. We should trash anyone who votes and sees issues only by party lines. Biden AND Trump can both be trash. You could want transgender rights but not want biological men in women’s sports etc

I haven’t been following this thread but why is transsexual stuff popping up in a squatter thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back