Nick Diaz... most reluctant fighter ever

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The guy may be a pot head stoner, but damn he's probably the most honest and real fighter out there. The guy flat out said many times he hates fighting, doesn't enjoy it, but does it because essentially its the only way for him to make a living. He's like a modern day gladiator of sorts. I want to say I feel bad for the guy, but im here sitting 10 hours a day in a cubicle going over spreadsheets while living pay check to pay check, so I dont know....

I dont recall any other MMA fighter being so honest . They all have to portray this bravado , maybe its real or maybe its just to pump themselves up or not appear weak, but nick is the only MMA fighter to consistently say he hates fighting and doesn't enjoy it.

Real except when making excuses, probably all that weed and other drugs fucked his brain up that he really believe all his BS excuses.

The guy may be a pot head stoner, but damn he's probably the most honest and real fighter out there. The guy flat out said many times he hates fighting, doesn't enjoy it, but does it because essentially its the only way for him to make a living. He's like a modern day gladiator of sorts. I want to say I feel bad for the guy, but im here sitting 10 hours a day in a cubicle going over spreadsheets while living pay check to pay check, so I dont know....

I dont recall any other MMA fighter being so honest . They all have to portray this bravado , maybe its real or maybe its just to pump themselves up or not appear weak, but nick is the only MMA fighter to consistently say he hates fighting and doesn't enjoy it.
How do you know he's being honest?

He just comes across as nonsensical and depressed IMHO.
Not the state you want to be in going into a fight.

"You gotta love it so you want it so bad, that you're pushing yourself to those limits to where you just simply hate it. And if you ain't there to where you hate it, then good luck trying to love it."

I think most don't actually hate it, so I wouldn't see it as a sign of dishonesty of other fighters. I'm sure they hate some aspects of it, but overall I don't think they do.

"You gotta love it so you want it so bad, that you're pushing yourself to those limits to where you just simply hate it. And if you ain't there to where you hate it, then good luck trying to love it."

This quote has always stuck with me as somebody who's trained a decent amount. I definitely feel like most people who truly put in 100% to something ends up this way.

Dudes just in constant psychological pain. Makes it hard to watch him fight, honestly.

Interesting point about this clip we all saw back in the day... the misplaced laughter.

He is making a perfectly logical point about comparing nice living (having a patio, having what you want) vs not-nice living (cars getting robbed, pathetic guy hunting for cigarette butts) and people are laughing about it because they think his examples of worse-living are supposed to be comedy.

Nick Diaz is a stuttering, anxious mess when a microphone is in front of him. if you want to peer into the mind of a guy that gets hit for a living treat yourself to a Mike Perry pre-event fighter interview.

He doesn't fight like someone who hates fighting. Maybe he means he hates the media circus around fighting?

Fedor said he only fought for money as well.
while i don't doubt the fan support, feeling of importance, low-level celebrity status for some and competition are all draws i think that the majority are in it for huge money they're under the impression is coming. after all, it's not very common to see a professional athlete driving a 2010 toyota corolla and living in a modest apartment because money is meaningless to them.

Back