NJSACB considering changes to weigh-in procedure

chunglii

No Me Duele
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/6/2...idering-weigh-in-changes-ahead-of-abc-meeting

A letter was sent by New Jersey State Athletic Control Board commissioner Larry Hazzard Sr. to NJSACB ringside physicians and NJ hospital.university based neurologists and neurosurgeons for comment on proposals to potentially change the how weigh-ins are handled in mixed martial arts contests. Three of the proposals mentioned in the letter are same-day weigh-ins, as recently instituted for amateur and pro-am cards in Ohio, earlier weigh-ins, such as the 30 hour weigh-ins adopted by California, Kansas and recently Nevada for UFC 200, or even weigh-ins 72 hours before fight time, as is being investigated by the California State Athletic Commission. It should be noted that other proposals suggested by the consulted medical professionals will also be considered, and the options are by no means limited to the examples given.

"The intent to the letter is to gather independent responses from agency medical staff and prominent NJ neuro related physicians. At that point, we'd like to bring these medical experts together at a symposium to form our agency's response to this issue at hand. At that point, we hope to have a proposal to present to the industry and will allow input and a comment period from the many established fight camps based in NJ and the surrounding metropolitan area. Our concern is that commissions do not seem to be working together to find a unified response to these issues: and a response that is based on detailed input from many medical experts. We see this as a medical issue first and foremost, not a governmental administrative matter."

Whatever they did for UFC 199 worked, I say keep doin that

I'd like to see the 72 hour implemented, gives the fighters more time to recover from a weight cut.

I'd like to see the 72 hour implemented, gives the fighters more time to recover from a weight cut.

Weight cutting is stupid. You should fight at your weight. Everyone cuts weight so you are forced to also to avoid the handicap. No different from PEDs.

72 hours? why even have weight classes at all lol

Whatever they did for UFC 199 worked, I say keep doin that

Earlier weigh-ins that is. They did it for UFN Macdonald vs Thompson as well, and there were 6 third round finishes. It's absurd, it doesn't happen. Also, fighters we considered not powerful suddenly started dropping down opponents multiple times. No coincidence here.

Weight cutting is stupid. You should fight at your weight. Everyone cuts weight so you are forced to also to avoid the handicap. No different from PEDs.
I agree, I hate weight cutting too. But it's not a problem that's going away anytime soon.

Allowing a weight cut basically means the fighters are competing with each other before the fight has even begun. Who can shed the most mass without being dehydrated. I prefer match ups of skill. No dehydration/ mind games like mcgregor.

Like the early weigh ins and the upcoming 8% rule. I think they should just adopt that and see how it works for a while before trying anything else.

might be stupid but its like a prisoners dilemma. You cant trust the other guy to not cut weight and you dont want to give up an advantage to him

I think 48 hours is adequate enough to fully replenish fluid loss for acute to moderate dehydration according to studies I have seen. 72 hours would just further allow huge weight cutting via severe dehydration to continue.

I prefer to see two or three weigh-ins before a fight. Night before, morning of the fight and in the locker rooms.

I don't see how you can cut weight, if you're being weighed right before you walk into the ring.

might be stupid but its like a prisoners dilemma. You cant trust the other guy to not cut weight and you dont want to give up an advantage to him

Have them weight in right before the fight. If they weigh in heavy then they lose half their purse. Easy Peasy.

Have them weight in right before the fight. If they weigh in heavy then they lose half their purse. Easy Peasy.

I don't know much about the science behind concussions and dehydration and stuff, nor do I know if fighters (or some of them) would continue to cut weight even with weighins right before the fight. That said, from what I've heard on here it sounds like that might force the fighters into choosing between possibly giving up a weight advantage or having a higher risk of head trauma, no?

edit: plus with weight classes you'll always have some fighters cutting at least a tiny bit

yes, because a guy who is 186 pounds should have to fight a guy 205 pounds.

Rather have same day weighins. Just a couple hours before the fight. Or. . .

have the weighins at whatever time, but the fighters have to be within a certain number of lbs stepping into the cage. An example would be weighing in at 170 lbs. Then fight night, you can't be over 180 lbs or you lose half your purse.

If you're over 180, you should move up a class. Something like this

Back