No Bias, Please. Should Askren retire?

HunterST

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
This is probably not possibly, but I'd like to keep this objective and not based on if we are Askren fans or if we hate him.

On one level, Ben still doesn't really know how he stacks up in the UFC. Were the slam and knee anomalies or do they stem from Ben really lacking in some skills? I do think it is possible that, were it not for the knee, Ben could have out grappled Jorge. It's also possible it was just a matter of time before Jorge landed a shot. At any rate, we haven't really gotten a satisfying answer about his skills.

Ben went almost all of his career without taking damage, so he had relatively few miles on him when he stepped into the UFC.

On the other hand, the damage from the Lawler fight and, most significantly, this devastating KO should not be overlooked by Ben and his team. To be safe, Askren should at least take 1 year off from fighting. I'm not sure he has that kind of time.

What do you think? Again, trying to put aside your opinion of his fighting style or personality. From a career/safety standpoint, should he retire?

Once upon a time, a great man answered the question "why the flying knee?" with "because he's a bum"

Nope he should take a long break but I doubt he wants this to be his last fight.

Yes, he's past his prime and imo was never truly an elite mixed martial artist to begin with. Great wrestler? Yes! Great Mixed Martial Artist? NO! He should hang it up, he's never getting a title shot, and he should preserve his health, he'll have many opportunities outside of fighting.

IS he actually going to do that tho? probably not, they'll throw him against some more savages at 170lbs and he'll be put on more highlight reels. It's extremely difficult to compete at this level with no striking, almost impossible. He is one of the easiest fighters to gameplan for on the roster, and his chin will never be the same.

Last edited:
Should babies sleep or should humans eat or should Sherdoggers troll or should Jones pulse?

I don't think the fight with Jorge in any way was a fluke. Jorge knew exactly what he wanted to do, and Askren did not expect it one bit.
That said, if they were to fight again and with Askren wisened up to Jorge's tactics, it'd be one sided for Askren I think.

I still think Askren could possibly make a run, but it depends entirely on his recovery. That knee took years off his life and he may need a long break to recover. The problem is, long breaks at 34 are not optimal.

A lot of people still question whether Askren can hang with the top of WW, so he still has something left to prove.

Last edited:
Lol no. He 100% needs a break but he's not retiring, at least not for a couple years.

No Askren still beats most people in the WW division and unlike most one dimensional wrestlers(170 historically is the home for people like Ben) is a huge draw. If we use basketball logic and you should give up if you can't win a championship then yes, Askren should retire. Was going to be hard pressed to beat Marty or even Colby even if he found a way to put Masvidal down. But if the goal is being successful and winning fights then sure, Askren can be in the UFC for years to come piling up a nice record, but to get a crack at a belt he needs more. Remember as embarrassing as that fight was, that was a title eliminator.

Too bad he's not interested in beating most of the WW division. He only wants the belt and to be known as the best. Not going to happen.

Man, I dunno. He was in a sweet spot being undefeated and everyone not really knowing for sure how he's do in the big leagues... but now? He's taken MASSIVE damage in a really short amount of time... I don't think it makes sense for him to claw his way back up.

He broke the records he wanted, I guess there is nothing left for Ben to do now.

Depends on his financial situation. He is still a top 10 guy, at least, and could get a few more fights to build his retirement. I do not think he beats the top 4 - 5 guys so he will be gate-keeper to some degree. A little like Maia.

They need to put Askren up against someone who isn't a killer. Maybe give him a match up against a grappler next? His wrestling vs a jiu jitsu style would be kinda interesting

That was really scary last night but I think he still has a lot to offer the MMA world. I wouldn’t be mad if he retired but I’d like to see him fight guys like chiesa or maia just for fun

Depends on his financial situation. He is still a top 10 guy, at least, and could get a few more fights to build his retirement. I do not think he beats the top 4 - 5 guys so he will be gate-keeper to some degree. A little like Maia.
I’m pretty positive he was making that bank in ONE. I would worry about funky’s finances... I’d worthy about his health

Jorge knew what Askren wanted to do, so he took advantage of that. Certainly not a fluke.

Pretty much like Aldo vs. Mendez (and Swanson!), he knew what Mendez was going to do, so he just delivered a big knee.

Maybe it happened much too soon, but hey, that's how life goes. Next thing you see you're running away from police naked on an ice truck with 3 bags of hash + a dead transvestite inside.

It was a brutal, quick KO, but at the end of the day you have to remember he’s still 19-1.

He probably needs a couple more fights so see where he’s at. It could’ve just been the result of a bad judgement call.

I think he probably should. He's getting old, I'm sure he's set financially and he can always get gigs as a wrestling coach. He has to have suffered some permanent damage from this fight, and this loss probably removes any chance for him to ever challenge for a title or get a fight with GSP, so what's the point in continuing?

He came out of retirement to prove he was the best and that ship has sailed. All that said, there's no way he retires after that loss.

plenty of fighters have taken more prolonged beatings and have come back from it.

Askren got caught with 3 big shots (knee and 2 or 3 punches). He can definitely come back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back