No offense, (I guess some offense can't be avoided) was that really the number 1 WFLW in the world?

dickcheney

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
like, nice top control and all, and she seems like the nicest and all, and it's fun to see a nerd and all...but was that really the movement and striking of the number 1 ranked women's flyweight in the world? and all

like, nice top control and all, and she seems like the nicest and all, and it's fun to see a nerd and all...but was that really the movement and striking of the number 1 ranked women's flyweight in the world? and all

No, She is good but there are some foreign 125ers who are not on the show due to language barriers(Maia,Porto,Niedzwiedz etc). Some 125ers fighting out of their natural division due to the UFC previously not having it(Joanna,Valentina,Katlyn etc). I am keeping an eye on Ilima-Lei Macfarlane from Bellator also. The problem with her is she has not really fought anyone good yet. She seems like she has potential but its hard to really gauge due to the quality of her opponents. We truly won't know the real order of things until a year or two down the road. I would say TUF26 is mostly filling out the meat of the division and mostly getting the girls on it a dedicated fan base with their increased exposure. Roxy is def top 10 though.

Most annoying personality in the world.
Please God don't let her talk anymore.

Don't disrespect the Happy Warrior!

8DANhUM.gif

She's the number one seed on the show.

If only she would've ended up on Alvarez team...

It does seem weird that someone with 13 losses would be the number 1 seed of a tournament that will determine a belt.

They are giving a lot of credit to experience.

Honchak has been out for a long time. Murphy has also been out over a year and last fight was a loss. So, Happy Warrior No 1. isn't unreasonable.

As for best in the world... I'd like to see Valentina vs Joanna.

I guess the TUF ladies will be rooting for Valentina on Saturday. That may buy them a little more time.

It does seem weird that someone with 13 losses would be the number 1 seed of a tournament that will determine a belt.

Doesn't matter who wins this show

Pretty much a guarantee that Joanna moves up and takes the belt

According to the Unified Women's Mixed Martial Arts rankings, Roxanne is ranked #3 in the world.
http://www.mmarising.com/rankings/unified-womens-mixed-martial-arts-rankings/

However, there will undoubtedly also be large strawweights moving up into the division, like Joanne Calderwood, and small bantamweights dropping down into the division, like Jessica Eye.

Doesn't matter who wins this show

Pretty much a guarantee that Joanna moves up and takes the belt

I'd like to see her fight Claudia one last time. But after that the division would be cleaned out.

I think that Valentina would be a fairly big fight. I don't know how much longer she would stick around after that though.

I do want to see what Jessica Eye can do. There are probably some others already in the UFC that would move in. Maia, Niedzwiedz & Porto will probably come in. This season is purely about promotion. I just hope that the champ doesn't get eaten for breakfast like Esparza.

Well, seeds mean nothing and they should go back to the old format - coaches picking fights, it was way more interesting. In the TUF with Mighty Mouse the number two seed was Yoni Sherbatov and he looked like shit, lost his first fight badly against no. 15 seed Eric Shelton, who is actually a good fighter.

But this TUF is absolute disgrace for the division, with so many girls with record like 3-3, 8-8 or 20-15. I see they don't even care about marketing so much because the first so-called champion will probably get her ass kicked worse than Esparza in first title defence.

You're apparently not familiar with Roxy.

She's been around a long time and she's a grappling-based fighter. Her striking used to be much worse. It has improved. But her expertise is still on the ground. Not much different from someone like Demian Maia really. And she's 6-2 in her last 8.

Also, the #1 seed in the tournament, not the #1 ranked fighter in the world.

I am a fan of nerdy Roxy and proud to be a nerd too.

Once TUF is over Women's Fly weight can take off and hope these girls join UFC women's flys.
1. Agnieszka Niedźwiedź “Kuma” (21) 10-0-0 (Invicta)
2. Mackenzie Dern (bjj champ)
3. Amanda Serrano (5x boxing champ) (signed with Meisha Tate's team to be MMA)
4. Jennifer Maia (27) 14-4-1 (InvictaFC Champ)
5. Vanessa Porto (33) 18-8-0 (InvictaFC)
6. Kalindra Faria 18-5-1 (TitanFC)
7. Ilima-Lei "The Ilimanator" Macfarlane (27) 6–0 USA (signed w/Bellator)
8. Sarah Kaufman 17-4-0, 1 NC (UFC needs her back)
9. Rin Nakai (29) 19-2-1 (RIZIN FF) Japan
10. Anastasia Yankova 4-0 (Bellator) Russia
11. Takayo Hashi 15-6-1 (DEEP/Jewels) Japan
12. Brogan Walker 4-0 Guam
13. Ariane Lipski (23) 9-3-0
14. Andrea Lee (28) 7-2-0
15. Priscila Cachoeira 7-0-0
16. Na Liang 6-0-0
17. Valerie Letourneau (33) 8-5-0 (UFC)
18. Milana Dudieva (InvictaFC)
19. Weili Zhang 8-1 (KunlunFC) China
20. Shizuka Sugiyama 12-4-1 (DEEP/Jewels) Japan
21. Tara LaRosa 21-4-0 (InvictaFC)
22. Sarah DAlelio “The Monster” (36) 11-7-0 (signed w/Bellator)
23. Shayna Baszler (Invicta)
24. Keri Melendez (Keri Anne Taylor-Melendez) 1–0 (Bellator) USA

25. Emily "Gordinha" Ducote 4–1 (Bellator)
26. Mara Romero Borella (31) 10-4-0
27. Diana Belbita 8-2 Romania
28. Jingnan Xiong 7-1-0 (Kunlun Fight)
29. Sabina Mazo (20) 3-0-0
30. Marilia "Chocolate" Santos 5-0 Brazil
31. Bo Meng 8-1 China
32. Julia Berezikova (32) 10-4-0– XFC
33. Lena "Hunter" Ovchynnikova (30) 12-4-0 (Bellator) Ukraine
34. Elaine Albuquerque 5-4
35. Daniela Maria da Silva (28) 5-2-0
36. Amanda Lino (26) 3-1-0
37. Kate Jackson (31) 8-2-1

But this TUF is absolute disgrace for the division, with so many girls with record like 3-3, 8-8 or 20-15.

I don't think that "good" records mean as much as many people seem think they do. Much of the time an undefeated record simply indicates success at having carefully avoided high caliber fighters during one's career in order to build a good record. That may be good from a promoter's standpoint, to be able to say "undefeated", but it isn't necessarily the best way to fulfill one's potential as a fighter. I think that some fighters improve more from losing to better fighters, than they would by continually beating fighters who aren't up to their level.

I don't think that "good" records mean as much as many people seem think they do. Much of the time an undefeated record simply indicates success at having carefully avoided high caliber fighters during one's career in order to build a good record. That may be good from a promoter's standpoint, to be able to say "undefeated", but it isn't necessarily the best way to fulfill one's potential as a fighter. I think that some fighters improve more from losing to better fighters, than they would by continually beating fighters who aren't up to their level.

And I agree with you , but mostly there is a difference between records like 10-2, 20-5 and 4-4, 8-8, 0-1 etc. It means that you at least have some skills to beat lower level competition, not to constantly mix wins and losses.

Of course you can be 12-0 bum or 20-16 good fighter (like Matt Brown), but his is a championship TUF, should be about the best in the division and these girls were losing to the girls which are not even on this TUF - so that means we don't have the top flyweights here and the quality is really shitty.

Not really. The are giving a lot of credit to recent results, and Roxy has been on a hot streak against meaningful competition in the weight class. None of the other fighters on the show can make that claim.

I agree that Roxy's athleticism certainly doesn't look like what you expect from a championship caliber fighter, but she gets the job done with skills and tenacity. She kind of reminds me of Jeremy Horn, who never stood out athletically but still managed to put together an impressive resume against top competition. Eventually, that lack of athleticism caught up to him as the level of talent in the sport improved, and the same thing will happen to Roxy eventually, but the 125 pound division hasn't reached that point yet.

IMO, the top six flyweights in the world don't currently fight at flyweight.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk
Claudia Gadelha
Jessica Andrade
Valentina Shevchenko
Julianna Pena
Liz Carmouche

You can make that seven if the introduction of the new division can coax Miesha Tate out of retirement.

Roxy certainly has some interesting movement. In one of the more recent times I watched her fight, it looked like her neck was fused. She doesn't have the best vision, but she was avoiding Andrea Lee's strikes like she could see the future. Roxy may be a bit perplexing, but that's part of the reason I like her as a fighter. Even her personality doesn't seem like that of a hardened veteran in the fight game.

Back