No Pasta, Rice or Bread

OaklandIsMyCity

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This dude at the gym was telling me he lost 73lbs in 71 days by pretty much not eating pasta, rice and bread. I knew he wasn't lying because I saw him in the gym before and he looks like a different person. I tried it last week and it's not really all that hard to do, but I think I ate too much fruit. I'll say I dropped about five pounds of course I was expecting more but I think I need to tweak some things to get the real results I want. I hit the gym up about 4 times a week I'll hit the elliptical for 30 minutes and then hit the weights and one Saturday and Sundays Ill play basketball from 6-10. Right now I'm 5'10'' 280lbs. I want to get to 220. Anyone have any pointers for me?

If your working out...You need carbohydrates still. Cutting them out is ok (if unrealistic) for relatively sedentary person, less acceptable for a moderate athlete like yourself but totally un-doable and unhealthy for anyone engaging in serious athletic training.

Some tips:
1. Limit carbs to before and after workouts ideally
2. Consume most if not 90% of your carbs at lunch or before as insulin response increases over the course of the day
3. Concentrate on carbohydrates that burn slower and limit your blood sugar like fruits, oatmeal, whole grains etc.

If your working out...You need carbohydrates still. Cutting them out is ok (if unrealistic) for relatively sedentary person, less acceptable for a moderate athlete like yourself but totally un-doable and unhealthy for anyone engaging in serious athletic training.

Some tips:
1. Limit carbs to before and after workouts ideally
2. Consume most if not 90% of your carbs at lunch or before as insulin response increases over the course of the day
3. Concentrate on carbohydrates that burn slower and limit your blood sugar like fruits, oatmeal, whole grains etc.

Thanks for the input. I never really considered the specific times I was eating things. I'm usually going to the gym late around 9pm after my daughter is out to sleep. Are diet drinks bad when dieting?, I know they say no sugar or calories, but I know it can't be that cut and dry.

Thanks for the input. I never really considered the specific times I was eating things. I'm usually going to the gym late around 9pm after my daughter is out to sleep. Are diet drinks bad when dieting?, I know they say no sugar or calories, but I know it can't be that cut and dry.

Based on your shedule I don't know if this would be workable for you but you should pretty much only consume carbs (from anything) on trainning days and go ultra low carb on rest days.

Based on your shedule I don't know if this would be workable for you but you should pretty much only consume carbs (from anything) on trainning days and go ultra low carb on rest days.

I'll try and work out something, but I normally don't eat anything before working out, usually I feel bloated if I do.

Diet soda adds a trivial amount of sugar and calories (less than 5 cals per serving I believe). Go ahead and drink one from time to time if you need to, but dont go overboard on it.

1st, evaluate your training goals. Training for performance, yeah, you can't exactly cut out all carbs. Training for fat loss, there's no reason you can't go low carb all the time. All my carbs come from vegetables & legumes, nothing else. I don't eat fruit, dairy, or grains except on my cheat day (Saturdays)

Here's a good article on the subject:

T NATION | Carb Cycling for Fat Loss

As for the diet drinks, I wouldn't drink more than 1 or 2 max a day. Water is your friend.

1st, evaluate your training goals. Training for performance, yeah, you can't exactly cut out all carbs. Training for fat loss, there's no reason you can't go low carb all the time. All my carbs come from vegetables & legumes, nothing else. I don't eat fruit, dairy, or grains except on my cheat day (Saturdays)

Here's a good article on the subject:

T NATION | Carb Cycling for Fat Loss

As for the diet drinks, I wouldn't drink more than 1 or 2 max a day. Water is your friend.

Yea right now I'm more concerned about fat loss. Thanks for the article that does help. It's a lot easier when you see things broken down. I learned this weight loss goal is more mental than anything once you decide you want to do it, it becomes a lot easier.

I thought we covered in that other thread you posted in that this is not actually true. Please don't mislead posters with blanket generalized statements like this.

You don't need carbs at all. In fact if you want to lose weight, you should reduce your consumption of carbs to the minimum that you can stand.

i tried not eating pasta for 2 weeks. Then i went to the olive garden and binged. I can't drop them LOL

That's why you have a cheat meal, or day. Schedule it ahead of time to help reduce the damage and get back on the plan.

This is the mainstream view though, isn't it. Not saying it is right or wrong, but I have not heard of any high level athletes on a ketogenic diet. Heck even Lyle McDonald says a ketogenic diet is not appropriate for athletes.

This may not be a true statement, but believing that an athlete can be supported by a ketogenic diet is a fringe view from what I can tell. Doesn't mean it is wrong.

This is the mainstream view though, isn't it. Not saying it is right or wrong, but I have not heard of any high level athletes on a ketogenic diet. Heck even Lyle McDonald says a ketogenic diet is not appropriate for athletes.

This may not be a true statement, but believing that an athlete can be supported by a ketogenic diet is a fringe view from what I can tell. Doesn't mean it is wrong.

If anything, a ketogenic diet wouldn't be appropriate for athletes in certain sports during the period of intense training before a competition. I think that endurance athletes would greatly benefit from periodic or long-term ketogenic dieting.

I'm not adopting any diet that I cant maintain.

I try to stay mid to low carb, more mid.

That suits me.

While I'm don't even remotely consider myself a high level athlete, I'm 41 and I train at least 2 hrs/day, 3-4 days/wk. I have been on a SKD for 3 mos (with Sinister's help). On Monday I rolled for 2 hrs straight, fasted and felt great. It took me most of those three months to get to that point and required a fair amount of patients, but I am finding the longer I am 'off carbs', the more improvements I see not only in endurance, but in strength and explosiveness (and the better I feel).

My weight loss hasn't been as dramatic as some. I've lost around 12 lbs (229 to 217) and probably have another 20 or so to go. I never thought I would say this, but I don't miss carbs at all. It's far easier to maintain than I ever imagined. Given the health benefits of eating this way, I don't see myself ever going back, unless its to implement CKD.

As several other posters have said, I don't think carbohydrates are necessary since their only real function is to be burned and create energy, and the body can substitute fats (by beta oxidation) or proteins (by deamination) to burn instead. Also, unless you have crazy discipline you'll probably end up eating some carbs here and there throughout a week. BUT, in my opinion and in agreement with alot of the stuff I've read on here you would probably do well eating fruits and veggies for a couple reasons:

1)you have to eat a totally unrealistic amount usually to get a significant weight loss disrupting amount of carbs
2)usually carbs = insulin response = altered ratio of muscle/ fat. most of the carbs in fruits and veggies are pretty mild on the insulin response anyways, making it pointless to even bother
3)they are a great source of vitamins and minerals, which in most cases can actually be absorbed and used properly by the body, unlike alot of stuff in common multivitamins etc.
4)learning to eat delicious fruit/prepare veggies is a great way to eat lower calories and still not crave sweets/carbs as much. damn I could really go for some pineapple or tangerines or blackberries or watermelon right now :cool:

I pretty much have done the same to a degree.

I still have carbs and include brown rice. However I only have rice post work out/training. Any other carbs I consume during the day mainly come from fruit or veggies and it's mainly from veggies.

In saying that I have oats for breakfast.

I do particpate in carb racism as well. You know, no white flour based carbs allowed.

If your working out...You need carbohydrates still. Cutting them out is ok (if unrealistic) for relatively sedentary person, less acceptable for a moderate athlete like yourself but totally un-doable and unhealthy for anyone engaging in serious athletic training

false

Back