No version of Volk beats Topuria

Max Holloway is punching bag bum who got hit multiple times by fucking washed TKZ he has just volume he doesn't do well against short guys also and Volk has bigger reach than him to claim that guy who struggles against washed TKZ is going to beat Illia easily is retardism

and you are clueless he also set up the Jackson KO with bodyshot same with Volk one

Max has 0 lateral movement,bad footwork, pinching bag and he isn't even good at pocket he misses everything there like I said volume chin guy not a good boxer Illias kills him
I mean the fact that you can't see a fighters intention based on how he's fighting tells me everything I need to know about you. Max was fighting recklessly trying to KO KZ. Compare that to his performance against Arnold Allen.

You're clueless, that body shot didn't open up Volk. Volk got blitzed after opening up to counter against the fence. The body shot was the previous exchange.

Project harder papaw you're clueless. Lol at not understanding how a taller guy can fight long despite having a shorter reach, that is literally all of Max Holloway's career. Forget Boxing, watch more MMA jr.

wow.. I have never seen that commercial... MAB is one of my favorite fighters ever.. def top 3.. He was so great.. thanks for posting.... Power obviously won sat night.. Volk should have never been in there.. the way he was pulling back so straight is nothing i have never seen from him before..
Brother! I'm glad to share this with you! It was cool to see Sly have some light hearted fun with a couple of legends. MAB is a legend in my family, I didn't understand the magnitude of his win over Prince Naseem in 2001 because I was 11 and didn't have the Internet, so I didn't really follow the Euro circuit. My boxing fandom at that point was just getting together with family to eat carne asadas and pitch in for PPV's. El Terrible Morales also has his respect and our PPV dollars, lol. Look up Sly Tecate commercials on YouTube for more like this.

As for the fight this weekend, yes man, that was crazy from Volk. Pulling back straight is a huge no no against a boxer. If I know this, Volks team definitely knows this. Volks reactions and vision simply weren't there. Those are his best gifts, they're what allow for his mastery of range and timing to really shine. Seeing Volk pull back and over reacting was very odd to see.

Volk, even at his age, proved to be a better striker in those and a half rounds. Ilia is definitely hittable. And what gives you the impression that Ilia is a better wrestler? I would bet on anything that Islam would take down Ilia much easier than he took out prepared and non-injured Volk. Maybe the offensive wrestling and I still have to see that against anyone of higher level.

Volk held his own with Islam wrestling and grappling.

These takes are stupid. Volk is 35. It's unlikely that Ilia will be elite at 35

Tell me what aspects of Ilias boxing are better than Volks striking? Don't just tell me about the result, break it down for me. I think Volk has been making bad (perceived) decisions with his career the last year because he is aware of his own physical decline, which was only accelerated by jumping into another fight after a bad KO. Volks vision and reactions just weren't there. He really was fighting like an old man when you compare it to his performances from pre-Islam. Max 3 was a masterpiece.

Ilia loads up and is basic. He's dangerous because he's powerful and he has educated pressure. That said he's not great on the outside. He's dangerous at infighting because of his power, but he isn't some elite pretty boxer that picks guys apart and sets them up. He crowds you and unleashes.

I don't want to completely shit on Ilia because he is a great MMA striker and boxer, especially for his stage in the game. That said, a lot of you are acting like he's the GOAT MMA boxer because he caught Volk. I would honestly pick Max to pick him apart and like this fight a lot more for him than the Gaethje fight.

Yeah, outcome and ability aren't the same thing. Obviously, Ilia has technique, but I argue Volk is better overall at striking but lacks power and has to punch upward.

Last edited:
You didnt even write full paragraph to explain your opinion..

Volk was winning till he got caught, so not sure you're right about that.

Topuria will always land a big punch in the course of 25 minutes.

Not necessarily, especially if grappling is mixed in.

View attachment 1030541
I didn't think the first round had a disparity in damage as much, Volk's leg kicks did plenty more damage than the 4 head strikes Topuria threw. But you're right, its a damage/volume debate again and damage should be more. I don't think Volk was getting rocked left and right like people are saying.

I thought volks body kicks were heavier than anything else in round one to be honest.

I mean the fact that you can't see a fighters intention based on how he's fighting tells me everything I need to know about you. Max was fighting recklessly trying to KO KZ. Compare that to his performance against Arnold Allen.

You're clueless, that body shot didn't open up Volk. Volk got blitzed after opening up to counter against the fence. The body shot was the previous exchange.

Project harder papaw you're clueless. Lol at not understanding how a taller guy can fight long despite having a shorter reach, that is literally all of Max Holloway's career. Forget Boxing, watch more MMA jr.

Brother! I'm glad to share this with you! It was cool to see Sly have some light hearted fun with a couple of legends. MAB is a legend in my family, I didn't understand the magnitude of his win over Prince Naseem in 2001 because I was 11 and didn't have the Internet, so I didn't really follow the Euro circuit. My boxing fandom at that point was just getting together with family to eat carne asadas and pitch in for PPV's. El Terrible Morales also has his respect and our PPV dollars, lol. Look up Sly Tecate commercials on YouTube for more like this.

As for the fight this weekend, yes man, that was crazy from Volk. Pulling back straight is a huge no no against a boxer. If I know this, Volks team definitely knows this. Volks reactions and vision simply weren't there. Those are his best gifts, they're what allow for his mastery of range and timing to really shine. Seeing Volk pull back and over reacting was very odd to see.

Volk pretty clearly fucked up and he knew it instantly. He has/had all the tools to win that fight, but made a mistake and topuria capitalized. That's the game, so all credit to topuria, but the hyperbole around him is insane. That is sherdog for you anytime a new champ wins emphatically, though.

Last edited:
Volk is treating a fight like a sport too much

He's so concerned with scoring points and winning rounds. Ilia was out there trying to put his lights out

Alex scored 10-9 on all 3 judges score cards in the first round. Topuria might beat him 7/10 times but it didn't look that far apart.

Topuria is definitely a significantly more dangerous striker than Volkanovski but he has not yet proven to be a better striker (diversity of strikes, striking mechanics, striking iq).

From the one and a half rounds they fought, admittedly a small sample size, it was pretty clear imo that Volkanovski was the better striker. Volkanovski was busting up the nose of Ilia with his jab and using his footwork to cause big misses out of Ilia (he only landed 16% of the head shots he attempted in R1).

Ilia is definitely the better grappler but the wrestling is negligible.
The fight most definitely didn't prove volk was the better striker. If anything this fight proved how Volk is a point fighter whereas Topuria is a finisher. And is Volk really a better striker than Topuria when Volk got besmirched in the striking?

This is one of those covert "he was never that good" threads lol but I agree.

Not necessarily, especially if grappling is mixed in.

I thought volks body kicks were heavier than anything else in round one to be honest.

Volk pretty clearly fucked up and he knew it instantly. He has/had all the tools to win that fight, but made a mistake and topuria capitalized. That's the game, so all credit to topuria, but the hyperbole around him is insane. That is sherdog for you anytime a new champ wins emphatically, though.
Topuria is a great grappler, nobody in FW will dominate him in this departament enough to avoid the punch

Topuria is a great grappler, nobody in FW will dominate him in this departament enough to avoid the punch

Too early to say that for me, but he has looked good thus far.

Topuria should go up to hw. He's that good

A lot of sad coping going on in this thread. "Volk was winning until he got knocked tf out" has got to be the most hilarious

Everyone who won their last fight is the GOAT.

Volk has clearly lost some of his durability. Dude was taking bombs from Mendes.

Why is it that everytime I see a Volk nut hugger in here, I see Craig Jones in my mind? 🤔

Back