No weights strength gain

LVB_op. 125

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm noticing that the error I may be commiting throughout the past is that I don't lift heavy weights, thus I do not gain mass no matter how much I work out and dump high quality food into my body.

There's a couple of problems with the weight requirement: one, they're expensive. two, they take up too much room in a cramped apartment. three, I don't have time to go to the gym (seriously!).

So my question is thus: are exercises such as push ups and pull ups enough for weight gain? I have been gradually working up my pushup ability. I started at being able to do a mere twenty a set, and now I can do fifty in one set, with only enough pause to make sure I'm breathing well. However, this change hasn't brought any noticable weight gain. Now I'm trying more intensive pushup varients, such as the delayed pushup (hold for ten seconds when low), and hand clap pushups. I can only do maybe ten of these hand clap pushups so far.

Thanks for any help.

I'm noticing that the error I may be commiting throughout the past is that I don't lift heavy weights, thus I do not gain mass no matter how much I work out and dump high quality food into my body.

There's a couple of problems with the weight requirement: one, they're expensive. two, they take up too much room in a cramped apartment. three, I don't have time to go to the gym (seriously!).

So my question is thus: are exercises such as push ups and pull ups enough for weight gain? I have been gradually working up my pushup ability. I started at being able to do a mere twenty a set, and now I can do fifty in one set, with only enough pause to make sure I'm breathing well. However, this change hasn't brought any noticable weight gain. Now I'm trying more intensive pushup varients, such as the delayed pushup (hold for ten seconds when low), and hand clap pushups. I can only do maybe ten of these hand clap pushups so far.

Thanks for any help.

Are you positive you don't have time?

Let's hear your schedule, I will guarantee I'll find 45 minutes a day for you to at least go squat. If not more.

Thanks for any help.

If you're doing a calisthenics only routine, I suggest that you include some hard isometrics in your training so you can generate more tension. Pushups and such are great, you will get stronger doing them, but the drawback is that you don't generate maximal tension to raise your strength ceiling. Try breaking chain links, pushing walls or trees, or uprooting trees. Of course you can't uproot trees but your strength will improve because you have to strain hard to do it.

+1 for Enamait

"There's a couple of problems with the weight requirement: one, they're expensive. two, they take up too much room in a cramped apartment. three, I don't have time to go to the gym (seriously!)."

Also, you could pick up a couple heavy duty bands. You can't do deads, but you can do squats, standing overhead presses, bent over rows, and bench press. When it gets easier, you just grab the band closer together at the start of the rep.

Romistrub, I really like that sig!!

TS, you have time. What you don't have is either dedication, motivation, or commitment. (Or some combination of those)

I get up at noon, leave the house for the gym @ 12:45, am at the gym @ 1:15, work out till 3, get home about 3:30, shower/play with my daughter/get ready for work till 4:30. I leave my house @ 4:30pm for work and get home @ 7:30am. You can make time to go to a gym

Thanks for any help.

I don't fucking believe you.

3 hours a week is plenty to put aside for gym time. You are seriously trying to convince me that in 112 hours (if you sleep 8 hours a night) you cannot spare a measly 3 to do something you obviously want to do?

Romistrub, I really like that sig!!

TS, you have time. What you don't have is either dedication, motivation, or commitment. (Or some combination of those)

I get up at noon, leave the house for the gym @ 12:45, am at the gym @ 1:15, work out till 3, get home about 3:30, shower/play with my daughter/get ready for work till 4:30. I leave my house @ 4:30pm for work and get home @ 7:30am. You can make time to go to a gym

Wait, what? You work 15-hour days and get 5 hours of sleep?

There hasnt been an "I dont have time to train but I want to train, what should I do?" thread in a while.

Wait, what? You work 15-hour days and get 5 hours of sleep?

A little over an hour average commute, depending on traffic, road construction, etc, 15-30 minutes passing on information at shift change and a 12-hour shift, but basically yes.

I don't fucking believe you.

3 hours a week is plenty to put aside for gym time. You are seriously trying to convince me that in 112 hours (if you sleep 8 hours a night) you cannot spare a measly 3 to do something you obviously want to do?

owned

I train with dumbbells/sandbag/bands in my cramped studio apartment.

I don't have time to go to the gym (seriously!).

Bull. Shit.

If it's important to you, then you make time. You think everyone else here is just sitting around all day, waiting to go to the gym?

Give it up Lusst.

He's gone and has probably died of Aidz by now.

Yeah, if I only would have read nate's post first, I would have just quoted that and added a "QFT" or a "Fuck Yeah!" or what have you...

Back