Not eating meat products on good friday?

daryldeal

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Do you still follow this tradition? thoughts? what did you eat today/yesterday, depends on the time zone i guess?

I am not religious but I was brought up a Christian. For the most part, I still ate meat on Friday, but stayed away from red meat on Easter Sunday. Normally consisted of fish. I still don't eat red meat on Easter Sunday, still not really religious but its been tradition so a few days out of the year won't bother me.

Growing up Catholic, my family wouldn't eat red meat or poultry on Fridays during the lent season. I'm not Catholic anymore though

I've never got why someone would let a religion tell them what and when they can't eat. I just find it funny the religious people that won't eat pork or won't eat during certain days/hours have no problem breaking other tenets like premarital sex.

I am not religious but I was brought up a Christian. For the most part, I still ate meat on Friday, but stayed away from red meat on Easter Sunday. Normally consisted of fish. I still don't eat red meat on Easter Sunday, still not really religious but its been tradition so a few days out of the year won't bother me.

Why don't you eat meat on Easter Sunday? There is certainly no historical precedent for this; even during the penitential seasons of the liturgical year Sundays have always been exempt. Fridays are the traditional days of fast & abstinence, as well as Ash Wednesay and ember days.
Fridays abstinence is a small sacrifice made in recognition of Christ's sacrifice on the Cross, which took place at around the hour of None (3pm) on a Friday.
The 1983 (current) Code of Canon Law relaxed the rule from all Fridays throughout the year, to all Fridays in Lent, however on Fridays outsideof Lent a penance must be substituted if one opts not to abstain.

I've never got why someone would let a religion tell them what and when they can't eat. I just find it funny the religious people that won't eat pork or won't eat during certain days/hours have no problem breaking other tenets like premarital sex.

then follow the train of thought why would you let a religion tell you to do anything?

I would think because you find truth in the religion.

but personally i subscribe to this
"What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."
- Jesus

No meat here, but I like fish more anyway.

Not eating certain meats on certain days is such a bizarre, arbitrary thing. I mean really, what will happen to you if you eat meat on Good Friday? Will you be at the gates of heaven, only for God to shut the doors on you?

" You have been a model citizen. You have obeyed all of my commandments. You have exceeded all of my expectations. I would let you in.. Except.... remember that time you had a hamburger on April 3, 2015? Yeah, sorry. You're going to have to go to hell now."

And really, how do you determine a whole day? Is it 24 hours? Or is just when the day ends? What if you are flying across the world that day, and you enter a timezone which makes it Saturday? Can you eat meat then?

"Sorry, God. When I flew to China it said it was April 4, 2015."

"Oohhh, yeah, sorry, I meant 24 hours. Didn't someone write that down in the bible? No? Too bad."

Things like this make me wonder how people believe this kind of stuff.

Not eating certain meats on certain days is such a bizarre, arbitrary thing. I mean really, what will happen to you if you eat meat on Good Friday? Will you be at the gates of heaven, only for God to shut the doors on you?

" You have been a model citizen. You have obeyed all of my commandments. You have exceeded all of my expectations. I would let you in.. Except.... remember that time you had a hamburger on April 3, 2015? Yeah, sorry. You're going to have to go to hell now."

And really, how do you determine a whole day? Is it 24 hours? Or is just when the day ends? What if you are flying across the world that day, and you enter a timezone which makes it Saturday? Can you eat meat then?

"Sorry, God. When I flew to China it said it was April 4, 2015."

"Oohhh, yeah, sorry, I meant 24 hours. Didn't someone write that down in the bible? No? Too bad."

Things like this make me wonder how people believe this kind of stuff.

It's just tradition/ritual. I don't see the problem.

I do find it funny how much this stuff bothers people tho lol

It's just tradition/ritual. I don't see the problem.

I do find it funny how much this stuff bothers people tho lol

It doesn't bother me.

I just don't understand why people follow traditions/rituals for the sake of following traditions/rituals. Usually traditions/rituals are created because they have some kind of significant meaning or benefit at that time. Most people seem to be doing it because other people are doing it.

I've also heard of people who don't let their kids have fun for the whole weekend, as a kind of "do you think Jesus had fun this weekend? No tv, reading, etc. etc."

That shit cray.

Why don't you eat meat on Easter Sunday? There is certainly no historical precedent for this; even during the penitential seasons of the liturgical year Sundays have always been exempt. Fridays are the traditional days of fast & abstinence, as well as Ash Wednesay and ember days.
Fridays abstinence is a small sacrifice made in recognition of Christ's sacrifice on the Cross, which took place at around the hour of None (3pm) on a Friday.
The 1983 (current) Code of Canon Law relaxed the rule from all Fridays throughout the year, to all Fridays in Lent, however on Fridays outsideof Lent a penance must be substituted if one opts not to abstain.

It is red meat on Easter Sunday. On my mothers side there is Orthodox Christian and this was the rule of thumb. Never looked into it, won't matter now anyways. My fathers side is mostly Italian immigrants and pretty much Roman Catholic but my father was never religious but on my mothers side they are. I never celebrated Ash Wednesday or any of that catholic holidays.

To expand on Osstopher McGi's excellent explanation, I'll add this: traditional Kosher and Halal dietary law was established in an era before refrigeration and regulated hygiene standards. Most of the "forbidden" foods such as pork and shellfish were either more dangerous to consume if prepared improperly (the risk of trichinosis in undercooked pork, for example) or had much shorter and less stable shelf lives (in the case of shellfish).

Lots of modern "liberals" and "atheists" are so quick to wish to appear "holier than thou" (pun squarely intended) in terms of intellect versus those who are religious (whether through faith or culturally) that they often climb on a soapbox and air their ignorance before looking into the history and background of the very thing which they are decrying. Know your enemy, know yourself -- an easily forgotten adage amongst many self-professed "liberals" and "atheists", otherwise known on the internet as "neckbeards". Or to put it more colloquially, "Don't be a dick"!

Back