Notable first impression

HHJ

Herbs to Curbs
@plutonium
Reaction score
Remember a time when you first saw a fighter youd never seen before and they completley shocked and amazed you.

When I first saw Mirko,it was his first PRIDE fight w Wanderlei and I already knew Wanderlei was a beast and already 205 champ, but the commentators were sayng how Mirko came direct from K-1, was an elite kickboxer and also an ANTI TERRORIST SQUAD LEADER

and right after that...they had their very famous staredown and Mirko not afraid of Wanderlei at ALL

The fight was awesome too but just remembering that whole thing sent chills down my spine.

Jon Jones vs Bonnar.

I didn't know Jones at all, but I knew Bonnar, and I thought Jones was being set up as a stepping stone for Bonnar to get back on the horse.
Yes you knew the guy was an insane talent, he just didnt have his game put together yet. Just needed to have the moveset make sense. But even at that time, it was pretty easy fight for him.

Daniel Cormier vs Jeff Monson

I had never seen him before but seeing how surprisingly fluidly he moved on his feet and knowing his wrestling credentials I knew he was going to be a future heavyweight champion regardless of promotion.

Mine was Serigei Kharitonov vs Ninja Rua... his Japanese intro promo & his walk out with his paratrooper uniform then proceeding to beat the brakes off Ninja. First fight I watched of his, really sad we never got to see him vs Fedor

Mine was Serigei Kharitonov vs Ninja Rua... his Japanese intro promo & his walk out with his paratrooper uniform then proceeding to beat the brakes off Ninja. First fight I watched of his, really sad we never got to see him vs Fedor

The timing just fucked him. Got injured and also then lost to his bro

Jon Jones vs Bonnar.

I didn't know Jones at all, but I knew Bonnar, and I thought Jones was being set up as a stepping stone for Bonnar to get back on the horse.
besides that spinning elbow, jones struggled the entire fight with Bonnars size

07crocop_schaub.jpg

besides that spinning elbow, jones struggled the entire fight with Bonnars size
I really just thought he didnt have any sense to what he was doing. He was just spamming random stuff. Some of it worked, some if it didnt. Just an experience issue. He was clearly going to go on to great things,just needed to fine tune his abilities/

I remember seeing Junior Dos Santos warming up at UFC 90 hitting the pads before his UFC debut vs Werdum. Dana White was coming into the room and they were all excited. When I saw the pad work I knew something special and dangerous was coming, he looked incredible. It reminded me of Kickboxer when JCVD walked into the room and saw Tong Po kicking the concrete.

Remember a time when you first saw a fighter youd never seen before and they completley shocked and amazed you.

When I first saw Mirko,it was his first PRIDE fight w Wanderlei and I already knew Wanderlei was a beast and already 205 champ, but the commentators were sayng how Mirko came direct from K-1, was an elite kickboxer and also an ANTI TERRORIST SQUAD LEADER

and right after that...they had their very famous staredown and Mirko not afraid of Wanderlei at ALL

The fight was awesome too but just remembering that whole thing sent chills down my spine.

poatan and jiri, felt like a samurai showdown

Reactions: HHJ
Korean Zombie. The Garcia fight left a huge impression on me. Granted, he got KOed by Roop afterwards but his fights in the UFC were always entertaining.

I hated Mirko’s fights with Wand. Still do. But that staredown is the stuff of legends.
Mma just felt more important back then.

Reactions: HHJ
Whabout when this little guy shocked the entire martial arts world?

View attachment 1036211

Probably ended up changing fighting more than anyone in centuries, no?
changing fighting? absolutely not. giving birth to mma hasn't changed fighting in the real world very much at all honestly.

Back