NYC is such a miserable place once you get outside of Manhattan.

NYC is miserable everywhere.

I see. Mineola is alright, I used to do business out there. Most areas in that vicinity are decent (Uniondale, Roosevelt)
If you want to go further east Port Jefferson is really nice, but pretty far removed from city action. I used to have a gf out there.
I lived in Uniondale/worked in Mineola during/after law school and it's certainly better than Queens but once I moved to Long Beach and had to commute into the boroughs, I eventually got my left cheek sliced open by a black hobo going to my office waiting for my brain surgery. NYC, outside of mid/downtown and Staten Island, is, for all intents and purposes, a human wasteland.

I lived in Uniondale/worked in Mineola during/after law school and it's certainly better than Queens but once I moved to Long Beach and had to commute into the boroughs, I eventually got my left cheek sliced open by a black hobo going to my office waiting for my brain surgery. NYC, outside of mid/downtown and Staten Island, is, for all intents and purposes, a human wasteland.
Really sorry that happened to you..

There are plenty of people who have lived in NYC for all of their lives and never had such an experience though. If it were such a human wasteland you wouldn't see so many tourists and people paying $5k a month rents to live there..

i love Manhattan. granted, whenever i go i am pretty insulated from all the bad parts, and i know it's a superficial view when seen from art galleries and hotels. i think i never went above 90 street for the first five or six times i visited. finally did it in 2019 and no thanks, don't think i'll do that again.
I once walked the entire length of Manhattan, north to south, in one day. Everything above, say, 130th Street wasn't all that interesting. It seemed mostly to consist of working-class Latino neighborhoods (except for maybe Marble Hill and Inwood, the most northern sections). To your point, I don't really have much reason to go above 90th St, either, unless I decide to compete again in the NY Open at CCNY.

I once walked the entire length of Manhattan, north to south, in one day. Everything above, say, 130th Street wasn't all that interesting. It seemed mostly to consist of working-class Latino neighborhoods (except for maybe Marble Hill and Inwood, the most northern sections). To your point, I don't really have much reason to go above 90th St, either, unless I decide to compete again in the NY Open at CCNY.

All the interesting stuff has long since been destroyed. That's the problem with NYC it keeps reinventing itself.

I mean I know people that grew up in Queens and they all said that it was hostile. There was a huge ethnic turf war and some ethnic groups genuinely hated each other. I can say for a fact that the Chinese in Queens absolutely hate any kind of brown person and these days, black people too.

I've lived in Queens for over 40 years, never felt or heard any of that. Maybe the people you know are degenerate lowlifes.

, I eventually got my left cheek sliced open by a black hobo going to my office waiting for my brain surgery. NYC, outside of mid/downtown and Staten Island, is, for all intents and purposes, a human wasteland.
Was it just random?

More like that but

1. Insecure about their Italian heritage and project that out by being overly racist towards minorities and quite homophobic, tell a Guido they aren't white and you will ruin their week

2. Instigate fights against people minding their own business to prove how "tough" they are but deny the fact that their great grandparents ran to Long Island when things got too sketchy and tough in the 4 main boroughs

3. Love boasting about being Italian but can't speak the language

4. Love boasting about their athletic prowess when both NY and NJ are jokes in producing athletic talent compared to the south and even California

5. Creepy, practically harass women who have made it clear that they are not interested in them
As someone who was born in NY and grew up in NJ, I have to say you’re pretty accurate. But really that’s what high school kids and 50 somethings are like. Actual young adults are pretty reasonable and make the place a decent place to live. NJ isn’t as bad as it’s reputation.

Was it just random?
I told him to pull up his badly sagging pants and instead of even a "fuck you white boy" he immediately sliced my face and hopped out the sidedoor of the bus there in Jamaica. Gonna only get a 5 yr sentence, so out in maybe 3

Time to bump this thread.

I maintain that Brooklyn is where a lot of interesting stuff happens.

There are a few blocks in Bushwick where it's basically party all the time- Wyckoff Ave, Starr, Flushing Ave.

Last night I was out there to check out an open mic session, then got some food from a street vendor then to a club. Lots of people just hanging out in the lounges and the party just spills out on to the street. There are guys on the street singing through a loud speaker and selling marijuana. Like literally announcing through their PA system, "buy pre rolls and eighths here"

Despite all the madness in that area it's actually quite civilized.

My experience in Queens was a bunch of different kinds of Asians that hate each other. Chinese/East Asian and Indian (dot) people seriously don't like each other. Went to a Chinese restaurant with a white coworker, instant good service. Went to same restaurant a week later with an Indian coworker, would not even serve us for well over 30 minutes. When they did, it was the manager coming in rushing our order.

Indian (Dot) People? Seriously?

There's no other way you could have thought to describe Indian people LOL

Such extreme corny takes from pussies. There are nice neighborhoods in every burrough.

I was born in Brooklyn. Lived there until I was a teenager.

I don't go to the city too much these days though. Family has a small apt in Jersey city that I'll use time to time for visits. But more than a few days and I'm back to the mountains, fresh air, and a more relaxed vibe.

Props to the Brooklyn Museum for having a good ancient Egyptian exhibit BTW. City's museums are legit.

There are plenty of people who have lived in NYC for all of their lives and never had such an experience though. If it were such a human wasteland you wouldn't see so many tourists and people paying $5k a month rents to live there..

People like the one you are responding to are super fn dumb. NYC is such wasteland yet has the riches people on earth living there or burying homes there. It’s such a wasteland that the realestate market is unaffordable for majority of people in the us.

If it’s such wasteland would the richest most powerful people on earth be choosing to live there, why aren’t they choosing to live in bubble F Mississippi or Alabama?

Last edited:

There are plenty of people who have lived in NYC for all of their lives and never had such an experience though.

And those people lived in NYC between 1998 and 2017.

The people paying the ridiculous rents are either tied to NYC for various logistical reasons, have no options or are hoping it goes back to being much safer like it was for 20+ yrs. You also have long time real estate holders that are in a tough spot.

Not everyone everyone has the option to just leave the city.

No one feels safe in NYC right now.

Back