Obligatory Purple beltch thread

mattemate

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't even post except that it's funny I took soooo long and want to be a teeny bit of an inspiration to guys who have taken long lay offs.

I received my blue belt in 2005. Yeah, 2005. I've been lapped by a lot of guys since lol.

I took a seven year hiatus due to a number of reasons, eased back in in 2013, but didn't train as much as I would have liked.

I met my coach Gabriel Martins at the UT club in 2016, where he was coaching, and followed him as he ventured to open his own academy, Integração (IJJ) in south Austin. I'm really glad to train under such a beast. Whatever the opposite of a McDojo is, it's him. He holds very high standards. I helped him (along with a few others) to get the doors open, but neither wanted nor received a sympathy belt. The first year there I was sporadic, but have really stepped it up the past year. He promoted me and a few others this past Saturday, which was the two year anniversary of the doors opening.

I joked and was even half serious that I'd rather be a blue belt forever, as I smash most blues easily, most purples with a bit more difficulty, tap browns from time to time, and give a lot of blacks a good run. But now that I'm into the advanced belts, there is no turning back, and I appreciate the added responsibility.

It feels good.

Anyway, thanks for all the good times through the years F12.Capture+_2018-08-09-23-12-32.png Capture+_2018-08-09-23-13-58.png

Are you a giant or is your coach short?

Congratulations.

That's also the best looking blue belt ever.

What does F12 stand for?

Are you a giant or is your coach short?

Congratulations.

That's also the best looking blue belt ever.

What does F12 stand for?

Haha thanks. I'm 6'4", 200#. Coach is about 5'6" I think and 145.

Thanks for the belt compliment lol. It took a long time to get that way. A lot of people thought it was a white belt. It feels pretty nice to the touch too. Super soft.

Old days of sherdog, the URL for the grappling forum was sherdog.com/forums/f12

Hence F12

Last edited:
Member since 2004. Talk about old school. Congrats.

Very jealous you have a wrestling class.

Member since 2004. Talk about old school. Congrats.

Very jealous you have a wrestling class.
Dude, Brandon is NASTY. Best wrestler I've trained with other than Kamal Shalorus.
He only started training in October, just won double gold's in blue at the Austin Open. Did well at the worlds, about 100 guys in his division. Been doing EBI stuff and smashing guys. He's become a very good friend too. Plus our girls like each other, so that's always a plus.

That blue belt tho...

then again it's better than this one white belt guy who trains at my gym whose belt looks like it's really brown....

Haha thanks. I'm 6'4", 200#. Coach is about 5'6" I think and 145.

Thanks for the belt compliment lol. It took a long time to get that way. A lot of people thought it was a white belt. It feels pretty nice to the touch too. Super soft.

Old days of sherdog, the URL for the grappling forum was sherdog.com/forums/f12

Hence F12

Lol I thought it was a white belt I was so confused.

Oh cool.

I just recently got my Purple as well. After like years and years as a blue belt. STepped up my training a bit over the past few months and got promoted.

I'm not world beater but definitely feel I'm a decent purple - for my age at least.

Congrats!

I feel like I'm going to be at blue forever too - but hopefully not as long as you were lol.

Congrats!

I feel like I'm going to be at blue forever too - but hopefully not as long as you were lol.
Hey, we should all aspire to something. Records are meant to be broken.

congrats, man.

i think the saying was about getting your black belt, and it was obviously in portuguese, but it always stuck with me: "as long as you don't die, they're gonna have to give it to you eventually"

keep plugging away, you've definitely earned your belt.

Congrats man!

This thread makes me sad I quit at two stripe blue belt.

I haven’t trained since 2014. Maybe I should go back.

Back