Obscure Weapons

Periscope rifles used during WWI trench warfare
JE3522-001-periscope-gun-gettyimages.jpg

Also, the FP-45 Liberator
300px-M1942_liberator.jpg

They were super-cheap, low quality, mass produced single shot pistols. They were stamped from sheet metal and assembled in a matter of seconds.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/7/24/the-liberator-pistol/
In March 1942, a Polish military attaché requested that the Allies provide arms to the populations of German-occupied countries. The U.S. Army’s Joint Psychological Warfare Committee was tasked with devising a plan to develop such arms. Any firearm destined for the purpose of arming civilians in occupied countries must be able to be manufactured quickly and cheaply so as not to take away from the resources needed for the production of conventional military small arms that were still in short supply. To this end, it was proposed that a pistol be developed from stamped steel with a rudimentary unrifled (smoothbore) barrel of common steel tubing. Large numbers of the inexpensive guns could be air-dropped in occupied territories to partisans or other civilians with a desire to fight their oppressors, but who otherwise may have only been armed with only a knife or club. While obviously not an optimum military arm, the crude handguns could be used to dispatch enemy soldiers and take their more effective rifles or submachine guns. Also, it was believed that morale problems would arise when the enemy military command realized that thousands of firearms were ending up in the hands of previously unarmed civilians.

16th century cat bombs. They'd steal a cat from the locals, strap a bomb to it's back, light it, and let it run back home.

Rocket_cat_cropped.jpg

16th century cat bombs. They'd steal a cat from the locals, strap a bomb to it's back, light it, and let it run back home.

Rocket_cat_cropped.jpg

Didn't the US Navy have trained dolphins with hull-piercing nose cones at one point too? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure it's legit...

Didn't the US Navy have trained dolphins with hull-piercing nose cones at one point too? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure it's legit...

The navy uses dolphins to find mines and reconnaissance. They were used in both Iraq wars. I know they have claimed that they never trained a dolphin to harm itself, but who knows what they've done.

The navy uses dolphins to find mines and reconnaissance. They were used in both Iraq wars. I know they have claimed that they never trained a dolphin to harm itself, but who knows what they've done.

The thing I'm thinking of, I saw it on a documentary, the dolphins had these nose cone things strapped on and they swam up to ship hulls or submarines, and when the nose cone was depressed against the hull it fired out a little thing that ruptured the hull. At least I think that's what it was...

I've always thought the Mateba Autorevolver was interesting.
maxresdefault.jpg

Periscope rifles used during WWI trench warfare
JE3522-001-periscope-gun-gettyimages.jpg

Also, the FP-45 Liberator
300px-M1942_liberator.jpg

They were super-cheap, low quality, mass produced single shot pistols. They were stamped from sheet metal and assembled in a matter of seconds.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/7/24/the-liberator-pistol/

That periscope rifle is awesome and very tactically useful. I wonder why they dont use them now. Or at least give everyone a periscope so they can look around corners or over obstacles without exposing their heads to gunfire.

That periscope rifle is awesome and very tactically useful. I wonder why they dont use them now. Or at least give everyone a periscope so they can look around corners or over obstacles without exposing their heads to gunfire.

The periscope rifle was probably a lot more useful in WWI trenches. They probably aren't easy to use and they certainly aren't very mobile.
They have a gun in Isreal that can peak around corners with a mounted screen. Probably useful for storming a building, but I haven't heard of them actually being used in real life.

corner-gun-431x300.jpg

221.jpg

Why not issue all troops like a long retractable mirror or a periscope so they can look over obstacles, or see around corners with out exposing their heads?

Why not issue all troops like a long retractable mirror or a periscope so they can look over obstacles, or see around corners with out exposing their heads?

They do issue them out for swat teams and special forces that focus on storming buildings and such.
swat_mirror_training_2.jpg

Back