Spoilers Official ELDEN RING Discussion [PS/PC/Xbox]

Your Elden Ring Waifu:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've never even heard of Asteel. Where is this?

Part of Ranni's sidequest. Idk if you can do it without doing the sidequest but you find him by traveling through the Scarlet Rot lake underground and then going through Grand Cloister and going into a coffin.

Wow, only two attempts. Very nice. Second phase took me a while to learn. I was up close so couldn't see what was happening and the magic attacks kept getting me. I loved the music but was so grumpy the whole time. I was fixated on comparing phase two to all their previous final bosses and it just made me more impatient and even saltier, lol.
Lol I could see that.

I think I got used to fighting similar types of enemies during the play through so it felt like I somewhat knew what to expect. Then he throws stuff like Astel does at you and I recognized that. It was really just his AOE and this damn energy ball that kept chasing me that I found annoying.

Part of Ranni's sidequest. Idk if you can do it without doing the sidequest but you find him by traveling through the Scarlet Rot lake underground and then going through Grand Cloister and going into a coffin.
Ok thanks, that's why. I couldn't figure out her quest so I'll have to look it up next playthrough.

Lol I could see that.

I think I got used to fighting similar types of enemies during the play through so it felt like I somewhat knew what to expect. Then he throws stuff like Astel does at you and I recognized that. It was really just his AOE and this damn energy ball that kept chasing me that I found annoying.
Yeah the stars are really annoying. I still don't understand how they work or how you can avoid them. I tried just running but they're too fast.

I'm in the endgame now, and I'm having some conflicting feelings at present.

Until Leyndell, I was ready to herald this as the best From Software title yet, provided the endgame remained as strong. I personally thought Caelid was slightly weaker than the rest of the areas, barring Radahn's fight, and that Liurnia was gorgeous but also a bit sparser than Limgrave. But still all of these were fantastic areas, ripe with inventive enemies and content. I adored Altus and Gelmir, and Leyndell was simply mesmerizing. The legacy dungeons have been all fantastic, though I really wish they did something more with Redmane Castle. The underground areas overall felt a bit disjointed in their progression, and suffered a bit from unnecessary repetition (two unicorns and flame-lighting sequences, really?) which detracts rather than adds to the experience. but the aesthetic and mystery compensated for it. The Deeproot Depths were a wee uninspired, and Lake of Rot was awesome aesthetically but Izallith levels of laziness. Still, it gave us the Souls vertical descent to Hell we all love.

My major quibble with the game begins in the endgame, with Mountaintop of the Giants. Simply put, there was no need for that to be a whole region in its current state. It is lazy design. There are hardly any new enemies, the difficulty spike is extremely notorious at that point, and it feels artificial. Enemies are ridiculous sponges, and deal obscene amounts of damage, regardless of your build. Coming from Leyndell and Lake as a melee and heavy shield user, I was quite shocked. Aesthetically, it is also the weakest of the lot. Mogh's own 'dungeon' was similarly pointless.

Fortunately, the last few areas after that are remarkable in their beauty, Haligtree and Azula are some of the most beautiful areas From has ever produced. I have yet to complete these areas and beat their bosses. Overall, I am mesmerized by the game, but I do think they really overdid it with the repetition, which begins to take a toll in the endgame paired with some lazy design, empty space, and excessive difficulty. Way too many reused bosses, not only in the optional dungeons, but in the main quest, which leads to diminishing returns and begins to feel like a grind. You can only beat so many Erdtree Avatars, Magma Wyrms, Tree Spirits, Apostles, Ferrymen, Night Cavalries, Tree Sentinels, and tanky dragons, before they begin to feel like a genuine chore. Also, while Lyndell was amazing... they really dropped the ball with making Margot so reminiscent to Margit. After Godfried, Renalla, Radahn, and Rykard, it felt derivative and lame. Hopefully the last few bosses I have left are up to standards.

There are also deep balancing issues, particularly since Mountaintop, which makes builds lacking in vigor tortuous to play. Some regular enemies will one or two shot kill you even at 50 vigor wearing heavy armor. Meanwhile, I have found movement in combat to be clunkier, particularly rolling, making it less feasible than in DS3. This would be okay, since DS3 became a rollfest, but the problem is they have really gone a bit overboard with enemy aggression and endlessly chained long strings-combos,. This makes finding windows to attack safely quite difficult, and while I welcome the challenge, there were many times I thought bosses were just excessive with the spamming and string length, particularly in the late game where damage becomes grueling. This led me to rely on Mimic Tear and heavy shields more than I wanted to. I had to give up on my dual Halberd build, since tanking is just not feasible in this game.

Finally, while they did a really amazing job making the optional content a bit diverse (caves, tunnels, graves, catacombs each having distinct concepts) the repetition adds to the problems with the endgame. So much of mountaintop looks monotonous, having the same enemies you've fought before just buffed to the gills plus large tracts of empty space is just not inviting to exploration. You might say "but the content is optional! Just don't do it" but the fact is the game requires you to get pretty fucking strong to deal with its morbid difficulty later on. So you either find a farming spot, which is not fun anyways, or have to engage with the optional content, and fight twelve versions of the same boss. I can't believe they actually reused Astel or whatever his name was in a stupid cave. Also, I can't imagine what a first playthrough would look like skipping most of that content. I'm at 100 hours and am still having a really hard time, though a lot of it was getting lost and running in circles like a jackass. I really hope future patches can do something about the balancing and maybe even do something with Mountaintops. Though it's unlikely they will change its content at this point.

With all of this said, a part of me thinks it is the greatest game I've ever played. The world is immense, insanely beautiful, the music is incredible, the lore is fantastic, the legacy dungeons are amazing, their boss fights are arguably the best in the series, and the ambience is just spot on. I think it sets a new standard for open world games, which I have never enjoyed for their monotonous nature. Another part of me still thinks DS1 is insuperable for its novelty and world integration, flawed as it is.

Also, fuck bears.
Once I got my health to 60, I had a better time with everything.

I didn't like the mountain top much either, save for Castle Sol and Commander Niall. There's a dungeon where you can fight the Nokstella Natural Born boss again too

What bothered me most about the land of the Giants were the reused ruins assets. Did normal sized people live there, where did the Giants live? I was hoping for some epic castle, or large structures, that housed them. Did I miss something, did they have settlements, or sleep in caves? I haven't read much lore about them, so I'm assuming they are just simple folk? I think I recall alcoves in bedrock they could have lived in, like giant cavemen.

I did enjoy the Fire Giant fight though, and of course stumbling onto Haligtree, prob my fav area in the game. That was the last big location I found, didn't think my jaw could drop again.

The game isn't perfect, but it's arguably the best game I've ever played. It's a clear 10 out of 10 for me.

Yeah the stars are really annoying. I still don't understand how they work or how you can avoid them. I tried just running but they're too fast.
Same, went out of stamina dodging, tried running, nothing. I’m just stoked I can finally watch no hit, RL1, and full speed runs now. I need some of those juicy strats.

Same, went out of stamina dodging, tried running, nothing. I’m just stoked I can finally watch no hit, RL1, and full speed runs now. I need some of those juicy strats.
Yeah it's amazing to finally be able to watch a full run. Gino has the best melee strats IMO and he's trying to avoid all the cheese from what I've seen.

Ok thanks, that's why. I couldn't figure out her quest so I'll have to look it up next playthrough.

If you want any spoiler free help let me know I have done it twice and know the general flow of the questline locations and stuff. It's a really good sidequest line I was really impressed with it.

Holy shit you’re 100 levels over my character

lol i got to NG+ around level 260. i farmed the hell out of those aliens at that moghwyn palace approach area with the starscourge greatsword special ability. easy 40-50k runes each 10 seconds or so. rest and repeat.

i had to dump 80 points into endurance though just to rock the bullgoat armor set along with the starscourge greatsword i power stance and keep the turtle shell shield offhand and on my back for the stamina regen buff, as well as be able to carry a a staff, bow and seal and still be under medium load without having to rock that great jars arsenal talisman just to keep a medium weight.

but i dont care for the looks. or spellcasting really. i just like to go around and whack stuff with my sword. my dudes a straight up tank and hits like a fucking truck just using jumping attacks at everything. it makes short work of everything. i almost felt guilty summoning my mimic tear, because for the latter part of the game, every boss just gets his asshole ripped apart.

its gonna be a while before i can get back to that farming spot in NG+ because i'm still playing a cracked version on PC so i cant do that part of the quest where i can invade 3 people and then get the portal to my farming area. i have to take down that stupid commander naill (motherfucker) and then enter the secret area of the mountaintops of the giants, fight a bunch of invaders and then portal to moghwyn palace that way, and i cant get there until later on in the game.

but yeah now its costing me 600k runes just to level up. i think i've pretty much hit a wall in that department until i can get back to the farming spot in NG+. but now that ive got my strength maxed and my vitality capped at 60 i can start putting some more points into intelligence, dex and faith. that way in NG++ or NG+++ i'll be able to try out some casting, and some other weapons, but so far i'm loving the powerstanced starscourge greatsword. its pretty much all i know! a little slow, and most definately not a finesse kind of weapon, but oh man does it ever fuck shit up. especially spamming jumping attacks. it scales with strength, and dex + int as well, so by the time i ever get those stats maxed, this weapon is going to be absolutely insane. even right now its filthy!

i keep hearing all this stuff about the melania fight but me and my mimic tear literally made her our bitch on my second try. i had a much harder time dealing with that stupid dragon wyrm miniboss thing in the rot pool right before melania. i thought for sure i was gonna get destroyed in the melania fight from all the times i was getting punished from that other monstrocity i had to fight to finish the millicent quest. i think for NG+ i'm just gonna try not to use the mimic tear unless i really hit a wall. my dudes pretty badass as it is. having two of me, completely overlevelled against a boss kinda seems a bit like cheese. i'm hoping that NG+ and further will become alot more punishing, but i'm far too overlevelled where everything aside from the bosses in the game has became trivial to me, but i guess thats what i get from power levelling the fuck out of my dude.

though i dont think many souls purists are gonna be rocking the kind of setup i've been using. most people are staying around level 150 for pvp purposes. theyre not gonna grind like an extra 50 or 60 levels just so they can rock super heavy gear. but since im only playing offline i dont give a fuck about any of that, i'm gonna see how far i can take my character. i'll probably be farming them aliens till my brain bleeds if i have to. theres still lots of stuff i wanna try out, but levelling up is becoming tedius because i dumped so many levels into building a fucking tank. but its worth it cause i never get oneshotted and i can make mistakes and fuck up a few times in the boss fights and still have a chance to recover.

Last edited:
Mountaintop was visually awesome and as some of the best atmosphere in the game.

I dont understand the difficulty spike people complain about, its been like that for all the souls games.....the last few areas bump up in difficulty, atleast this time its easier to just run past everything.

The hardest enemies are the Zamor enemies, and theyre only in 1 ruin

Was cruising through NG+1 but damn Asteel actually was tanky and I almost died to him. Same with the final boss of Ranni's sidequest he was doing tons of damage to me and killed me once. I'm level 164 or something like that and so far Godrick, Rennala, Radahn and all the sub-bosses I've fought have been really easy. Asteel was the first boss where I looked at his health bar when I was hitting him and went "oh shit" lol

Good ol’ Astel, aka Ebrietas’ boyfriend, who took a wrong turn at the Nightmare Frontier and ended up in the wrong game.

finished the game and played around with ng+ with different dual weapons for a while but now i think im done

def my favorite FromSoftware Souls game

even the worldbuilding which i usually dont care that much about got me interested and i wish we could get more out of this world but im not sure if From will expand more on this title other than some DLC's perhaps

Level 179 and 144 hours in. Just now got to Crumbl8n Farum Azula. I keep taking laps around all the zones and I'm still finding caves and bosses I missed.

They’re terrible.
There are more enemies that I hate in this game than all of Froms past games.

Every area has two or three enemies I hate. I love it.

Yes they are and I ran past them all in Haligtree.

pointing-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

Those dirty fuckers. I did the Haligtree on Monday night. That bottom level where there’s like five in a row. What a fucking piece of shit move. You won that round From Software.

Summoned some dude who dropped me 300 Heros runes. Must be a hacker.

Also, 90% of pvpers use Rivers of Blood; it gets tiring. I just ended up leveling Endurance so I can wear heavy armor and boost robustness, just poise through the dramatics

Back