Official Judo Thread IX: Banned By The French Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mata mata!

ronda-rousey-1.jpg

03.jpg

KristieAnneblog1.jpg

going back to BJJ for the first time in a month! is it considered rude to stand up and osotogari if you start from the knees?

going back to BJJ for the first time in a month! is it considered rude to stand up and osotogari if you start from the knees?

No. It's considered to be a lame white/blue-belt maneuver for two guys to be knee wrestling anyways. Normally one should pull guard, and the other should try to pass. If, for some reason, you are both knee-wrestling, then it is indeed considered rude for one guy to 'take it to the next level' and stand up for greater leverage. But there should be no knee-wrestling in the first place, that's n3wb material.

If the guy who pulls guard suddenly stands up and osoto-gari's the passer, that's not only not rude, it's awesome. You are always free to stand up and counter the passer with a takedown or throw if you can. But once both guys are up on their feet and a takedown is not already in progress, then you usually stop and reset to guard passer/guard player. Think of it as a reverse of the judo rule, a takedown initiated from guard can be finished on your feet, but it needs to be one attack, not a transition to 'let's battle on our knees/feet now.'

If that all seems complicated, just remember that guard v. guard passer is the norm, and takedowns can and should be hit but they are transitional attacks, not something you are both working for from your feet or standing. Nobody should be battling each other from the knees or feet for any period of time, unless, of course, it's a true TD class.

Btw, from that explanation it should be clear why osoto gari doesn't really work in the context of BJJ rolling (as opposed to a takedown battle on your feet). There is really no way to hit osoto gari as a transitional attack from guard because the kuzushi is impossible to create from a guard position. 99% of the time you would be hitting an ankle pick instead.

It's BJJ training etiquette, not BJJ competition rules. In training, one guy should be playing guard, one guy should be passing guard. There should not be a battle over this. It's generally considered a n3wb thing for two guys to be vigorously battling from their knees to force the other guy to play guard, often epitomized by two blue belts wildly battling on their knees. If you watch any high level training clips, you will see how it works ... Marcelo and Rafa will not be battling on their knees against somebody else on their knees. That is considered retarded.

On the other hand, you will often see Marcelo or Rafa transition from playing guard into a double or single leg, or ankle pick. That is considered A-OK, high-level playing; think of it like in judo where you can complete a throw out-of-bounds if you begin it in bounds, or (under the new rules) where you can take an 'unorthodox' grip as long as it is in the context of an ongoing throw attempt, but you cannot keep that grip and work from it as soon as the attack attempt fails, you must reset to orthodox grips.

Likewise, in normal BJJ training if you end up in a situation where your guard passer opponent defends your takedown/throw attempt from guard, and you are now both battling on your feet or knees, it is reset time -- you stop, and it will again revert back to one guy pulling guard and the other guy trying to pass. Everybody will get annoyed if you both instead decide to engage in an impromptu sustained judo or wrestling battle on your feet. If you both stay on your knees for a sustained TD battle, they will roll their eyes but it's tolerated.

Last edited:
sheesh Zanky I was teasing! mostly. right before i was out i was rolling and in dogfight with a guy, I ended up standing and pushing away but he stayed on his knees and hung onto my lapels. I was like "stand up or sit down sucka!" and he goes "can't take me down if i'm already on my knees!" and then tried to single-leg me, so picked him just up off his knees and osotogari-ed him.

we play a lot of transition stuff too. most of the dudes are former wrestlers so we're real scrambly. when i've been using marcelo's armpit/elbow push side control escape i've had a lot of people people try to circle to my back and jump crucifixes, so i counter with kataguruma/sodetsurikomigoshi and dump 'em in front of me.

honestly, any time someone's trying to jump on my back my first reaction is to makikomi or roll forward and seoi nage.

am i judo too much da jits? should i working my gwardz instead da presh?

984291_10155343231970593_1707251497212593641_n.jpg

I've now got this from the physio, it's a big rubber band, I stick it under my foot and pull each end to bend my knee as much as it can then push against it to straighten my leg. My quad in my right leg has vanished so it's hard as hell to do! On the plus side the staples are out now, still looks rank though! Feels good to be onto the rehab and not just waiting around for surgery though, 9 months and counting til I'm back on the mat!
20150314_120304_zps6lrulrbg.jpg

Sucks man. You still look in shape though, how are you managing that? I don't really want to cut my calories now that I'm allowed to squat again.

Pull ups! Plus having to walk everywhere on crutches for 3 weeks seems to help the upper body. Also being housebound and reliant on the wife to bring me food means she only buys healthy stuff and my usual diet of pizza and beer has been somewhat curtailed :(

That might be where my problems are because I really haven't curtailed my beer and pizza intake.

you're just storing ki for when you're back to judo. the reserves happen to form around the abdominal area. that's why all the 6th and 7th dans have so much.

That might be where my problems are because I really haven't curtailed my beer and pizza intake.

"carb loading"
I argue it's a vital component for my general health and well being.

Sadly this has fallen on deaf ears and the shopping is resolutely lacking in 6 packs of Italian beer.

Still, it gives me another incentive to do the physio!

you're just storing ki for when you're back to judo. the reserves happen to form around the abdominal area. that's why all the 6th and 7th dans have so much.

I'm stealing that

Good to see Poundsand back on the mats last night..... F12 representing.

I think it's awesome how f12 guys train together. I don't think I'll make it to Japan this year due to my knee though.

'Tactical calorie reserve' I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peyman
Back