Official Judo Thread IX: Banned By The French Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the lapel grip works best for the ankle pick since you've got your forearm in there to push with. my tsurikomi off the lapel grip used to be shitty since i have to lift shorter people OVER me, so i compensated by trying to get too low and half-assing a ken-ken. if uke faces 12:00 for the uchimata, the ankle pick is at 4:00 or 8:00.
-
i prefer hikikomi gaeshi over sumi gaeshi and use this sequence:

armdrag -> belt grip -> ken-ken -> roll

especially against folks who can scramble well
-
i also have a lot of success stomping through for the ogoshi/tsurigoshi, especially if they're able to hop on the lead foot. i just get my big ass in front of that leg and wheel it all around.
-
Ippy -> one of the Koreans sets up his uchimata or Tai otoshi with a tani otoshi fient, and absolutely buries people with tani otoshi if they anticipate and try to sit back from his forward throws.

Have any of you guys found yourself getting worse at Judo over time, at least in any specific throws?

I used to land (sloppy) Uchi Mata fairly regularly as a yellow belt, but now as a Sankyu I can't seem to hit one to save my life. I don't know if I'm getting in the habit of fighting too defensively or something, but I can't seem to get that kuzushi or tsurite down at all.

Also, at what stage did you guys feel like you were becoming generally decent or developing a 'game' in Judo? I still feel pretty clumsy on the mats, and my match strategy is still essentially "Lol, I'll try this throw, I s'pose..."

Took me 5 years before I was able to consistently use a group of 4-5 throws No matter the opponent in the clubs I train at.

The learning curve in judo sucks balls.

Have any of you guys found yourself getting worse at Judo over time, at least in any specific throws?

My Teddy o soto used to be my best throw, that I could reliably land on kyu and dan grades alike. Now it's just counter fodder for whoever I try it on. I don't know wtf changed.

I'm gonna turn this franchise around, though. I've been doing extra work (normal o soto and Teddy o soto) at home with lateral resistance bands. My legs feel like jelly atm.

btw, I'm still not sure what my game is yet. I kinda like the different reaps off of failed throw attempts. (eri seoi > ko uchi, K morote > o soto, o/ko uchi switches, etc.) I've only been doing judo for like 3 years, though. Maybe 4.

20150305_110947_zpsusuhnd2a.jpg

Here's what your knee looks like when they chop out a chunk of patella tendon to rebuild your ACL, back on the mat in 9 months hopefully.

(Also, this cost me nothing as the physio doesnt either, the NHS is ace!)

I used to land (sloppy) Uchi Mata fairly regularly as a yellow belt, but now as a Sankyu I can't seem to hit one to save my life. I don't know if I'm getting in the habit of fighting too defensively or something, but I can't seem to get that kuzushi or tsurite down at all.

Also, at what stage did you guys feel like you were becoming generally decent or developing a 'game' in Judo? I still feel pretty clumsy on the mats, and my match strategy is still essentially "Lol, I'll try this throw, I s'pose..."

When you start out you do things as they naturally feel for you, given your traits. Then you start to "learn" Judo and try it in different ways. So often your throw stops working. It will take a while before you get it right. Seriously, like you spend shodan sharpening your main throws. Until then it might actually be worse than when you were just blazing in. It's worth it though, as once you've got it figured out you can spend less energy and hit throws better.

yaaaassss! ^ i lost my footsweeps for two years because i was thinking about the timing and tsurikomi instead of feeling it out.

My Teddy o soto used to be my best throw, that I could reliably land on kyu and dan grades alike. Now it's just counter fodder for whoever I try it on. I don't know wtf changed.

I'm gonna turn this franchise around, though. I've been doing extra work (normal o soto and Teddy o soto) at home with lateral resistance bands. My legs feel like jelly atm.

btw, I'm still not sure what my game is yet. I kinda like the different reaps off of failed throw attempts. (eri seoi > ko uchi, K morote > o soto, o/ko uchi switches, etc.) I've only been doing judo for like 3 years, though. Maybe 4.

According to my teacher, the Teddy o soto is easily countered by just pulling down on the sleeve of the guy trying to enter it.

If you have kuzushi so that the guy can't pull down on your sleeve, it doesn't matter and you can complete that sideways osoto, but if he can pull down on the sleeve, it will wreck your balance, as compared to a more classical osoto (where he can't break your balance by pulling down on the sleeve). Such is what our head sensei says. I find I can hit that osoto sideways as long as I can bump the guy's head back with the lapel or my grip.

The reaping throws seem to be the easiest to get tolerable technique on. The turning forward throws are just the worst, they have a retardedly steep learning curve.

According to my teacher, the Teddy o soto is easily countered by just pulling down on the sleeve of the guy trying to enter it.

If you have kuzushi so that the guy can't pull down on your sleeve, it doesn't matter and you can complete that sideways osoto, but if he can pull down on the sleeve, it will wreck your balance, as compared to a more classical osoto (where he can't break your balance by pulling down on the sleeve). Such is what our head sensei says. I find I can hit that osoto sideways as long as I can bump the guy's head back with the lapel or my grip.

The reaping throws seem to be the easiest to get tolerable technique on. The turning forward throws are just the worst, they have a retardedly steep learning curve.

Agreed. It's odd that they're held in such high esteem, since they're among the least useful throws outside of a Judo context (e.g. other grappling arts or MMA).

@Zankou:
Thing is I've hit the Teddy with nothing but a pocket eri grip on the lapel side and driving my entire forearm underneath uke's armpit.

Maybe it's something simple like me forgetting to establish kuzushi before attempting it.

@UM:
The big forward throws are probably held in such high esteem just because they're so hard to get down. Plus they look badass. That's literally the entire reason I've been working on tai otoshi so much, because I think a well done one looks badass.

20150305_110947_zpsusuhnd2a.jpg

Here's what your knee looks like when they chop out a chunk of patella tendon to rebuild your ACL, back on the mat in 9 months hopefully.

(Also, this cost me nothing as the physio doesnt either, the NHS is ace!)

Fuck, here I am crying about my own knee.

I don't know what I'd do with myself if I couldn't do judo for 9 months, probably keep a girlfriend actually.

Best of luck on the recovery, I'm glad the nhs is treating you well.

@Zankou:
Thing is I've hit the Teddy with nothing but a pocket eri grip on the lapel side and driving my entire forearm underneath uke's armpit.

Maybe it's something simple like me forgetting to establish kuzushi before attempting it.

@UM:
The big forward throws are probably held in such high esteem just because they're so hard to get down. Plus they look badass. That's literally the entire reason I've been working on tai otoshi so much, because I think a well done one looks badass.

Yeah you may just be telegraphing too much so that without kuzushi your partners are just easily countering.

Big forward throws look badass and win high-level tournaments. Nobody trains judo to get good at tripping people, except older guys who can no longer throw. I'd like to at least someday get to the level where I can occasionally hit a clean, big standing forward throw .... elevate high, rotate fully, and lay down flat. Currently it's like a blue-moon miracle event against much smaller players and never against anybody competent.

Agreed. It's odd that they're held in such high esteem, since they're among the least useful throws outside of a Judo context (e.g. other grappling arts or MMA).

Because they look fucking badass, especially when tori screams at the top of his lungs!

Last edited:

[YT]NmT9TGilEUc[/YT]

every context can be a judo context!

judo wins again!

[YT]NmT9TGilEUc[/YT]

every context can be a judo context!

judo wins again!
Well, deevlash won't be smashing any shoplifters for the next few months.

I've also seen a video (which I can no longer find) of an Israeli transsexual seoi-nage'ing some guy.

Well, deevlash won't be smashing any shoplifters for the next few months.

I've also seen a video (which I can no longer find) of an Israeli transsexual seoi-nage'ing some guy.

I've seen that vid. It's pretty wicked. Though I still think an osoto would be simpler and safer.

[YT]i3CC9F0EcNw[/YT]

I swear there used to be a better one. In this one you can see a guy filming it (the guy blocking the view). I think the one that guy filmed used to be online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back