RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Haney vs Garcia Discussion 4/20 8PM ET DAZN PPV

im not sure if people were watching the same fight as me, other than the first and the rounds with knockdowns, Garcia barely threw a punch

112-112 sounds about the correct score to me, or even giving Haney the nod slightly
Agree, even 2 people who never agree on anything saw it. I had it 113/111 Haney, giving Haney the final round.

Garcia would have won on 1 judges card and had a draw on another (meaning he would have only lost because of the point deduction on that judge's card) even if you took away the KDs. Haney wasn't going to win that fight on the cards no matter what.
----

While I'm generally not one for toying around with the rules when a fight doesn't go the way I'd prefer, perhaps it is time for a review process (a real one) for judges decisions, especially after a title fight. I don't think I'd approve of changing results after the fact, but perhaps suspensions and demotions for judges if their scorecards are literally 10 points apart from each other. The Barboz fight for example, one judge had 97-93 for Barboza and one had 98-92 McComb. How could you be THAT far off from each other. Thats 2 judges watching a completely different fight. Not just disagreeing on a close round or two but seeing the entire fight completely differently. Someone should have to explain that.

Yeah, Devin's kind of stuck in a hard place right now, can't move up to 147 and even though he just moved up to 140 looks drained
Right just doesn't have the durability, chin, or power to keep those monsters at 47 off of him.
Hell, he should even keep avoiding Tank.

Not sure you know how boxing works. How does one win a fight when they got outlanded by 19 punches and outlanded In 7 out of 12 rounds, and outlanded by 50 power punches and outland by power punches in 9 out of 12 rounds, while getting knocked down 3 times and doing nothing significant the entire fight?

Devin-Haney-Ryan-Garcia-compubox.jpg
again, you are doing some fucking odd weird boxing math that has nothing to do with the fight, you can clearly see even from those that the rounds in which Garcia won, he landed a LOT more because he was going for the stoppage

did you actually watch the fight?

Agree, even 2 people who never agree on anything saw it. I had it 113/111 Haney, giving Haney the final round.

Garcia would have won on 1 judges card and had a draw on another (meaning he would have only lost because of the point deduction on that judge's card) even if you took away the KDs. Haney wasn't going to win that fight on the cards no matter what.
----

While I'm generally not one for toying around with the rules when a fight doesn't go the way I'd prefer, perhaps it is time for a review process (a real one) for judges decisions, especially after a title fight. I don't think I'd approve of changing results after the fact, but perhaps suspensions and demotions for judges if their scorecards are literally 10 points apart from each other. The Barboz fight for example, one judge had 97-93 for Barboza and one had 98-92 McComb. How could you be THAT far off from each other. Thats 2 judges watching a completely different fight. Not just disagreeing on a close round or two but seeing the entire fight completely differently. Someone should have to explain that.
again, you are doing some fucking odd weird boxing math that has nothing to do with the fight, you can clearly see even from those that the rounds in which Garcia won, he landed a LOT more because he was going for the stoppage

When Ryan has 3 knockdowns in 3 separate rounds and then clearly won the first, it’s not inconceivable for him to win the fight. I totally understand what you guys are saying, and honestly I agree Ryan didn’t do much outside of those 4 rounds. He deserved to win though.

I also didn’t think either fighter looked very good lol. Ryan clearly pacing himself and Devin not really being able to get much done. Props to Ryan’s weird defense that Haney couldn’t get much offense off I guess. Ryan just coasted on like every round besides the ones the kd ones and the first lol

Last edited:
When Ryan has 3 knockdowns in 3 separate rounds and then clearly won the first, it’s not inconceivable for him to win the fight. I totally understand what you guys are saying, and honestly I agree Ryan didn’t do much outside of those 4 rounds. He deserved to win though.

I also didn’t think either fighter looked very good lol. Ryan clearly pacing himself and Devin not really being able to get much done. Props to Ryan’s weird defense that Haney couldn’t get much offense off I guess. Ryan just coasted on like every round besides the ones the kd ones and the first lol
oh no, i agree, it was a terrible fight, the technical skill on display was disgraceful considering how highly rated those pair are by the American media

Garcia basically won by being a few weight classes above him, and even then, he barely barely won

Love the way the guys talking about the fight adopted the Joe Rogan "THIS IS THE BEST FIGHT EVAAAA" just because a fight had a few knockdowns in it

Very poor technical fight with a poor ref who couldnt stamp his authority on the fight, all the Garcia people saying he should have had had more points for Haney holding, he should have had points deducted for turning his back constantly, yet people arent mentioning that because it doesnt suit the narrative

oh no, i agree, it was a terrible fight, the technical skill on display was disgraceful considering how highly rated those pair are by the American media

Garcia basically won by being a few weight classes above him, and even then, he barely barely won

Love the way the guys talking about the fight adopted the Joe Rogan "THIS IS THE BEST FIGHT EVAAAA" just because a fight had a few knockdowns in it

Very poor technical fight with a poor ref who couldnt stamp his authority on the fight, all the Garcia people saying he should have had had more points for Haney holding, he should have had points deducted for turning his back constantly, yet people arent mentioning that because it doesnt suit the narrative
Yeah both fighters avoided the fight at points when they needed to. I don’t think that comparison is fair though because I think Ryan turned his back fully maybe once or twice, the rest was just kinda sideways like how Floyd was doing to Mcgregor. Haney literally hugged a million times and shot double legs just like how he did when linares hurt him. It’s a much more egregious offense that he constantly does. Its avoiding the fight way more than anyone ever.

This fight definitely wasn’t no GGG/Canelo lol. But it also makes me appreciate how loma has came to fight in every single fight except the first half of the teo fight

Yeah both fighters avoided the fight at points when they needed to. I don’t think that comparison is fair though because I think Ryan turned his back fully maybe once or twice, the rest was just kinda sideways like how Floyd was doing to Mcgregor. Haney literally hugged a million times and shot double legs just like how he did when linares hurt him. It’s a much more egregious offense that he constantly does. Its avoiding the fight way more than anyone ever.

This fight definitely wasn’t no GGG/Canelo lol. But it also makes me appreciate how loma has came to fight in every single fight except the first half of the teo fight

Unfortunately these two fantastic beings are still ripening, they are not at their most flavorful and that is frightening for our consumption. Something so delicious over stimulates and blurs the senses at it's zenith. Mr. Haney has a cortex that is malleable, but soft and pliable. The dendrites won't be able to take too much punishment in the future the way he fights. He will have to really work on his defence, the last 2 fights is indicative that he is there to be penetrated, Mr. Lomachenko and now Mr. Garcia sharply went inside of him a few times to soften his existence. At higher levels Mr. Haney's skill set won't be enough to attain his ultimate form, he will be absorbed by the top 5 in his respective weight class unless he becomes tighter.

Fight "should have been stopped" every time Garcia turned his back too but it wasn't. Doesn't really matter at this point. Why did you quote me anyway, were you about to throw a tantrum about my score then forgot?
it's shocking to me how few people know that if you intentionally turn your back on your opponent during the fight, the ref should interpret that as giving up. the fact that he didn't just means ryan got more slack than his fans would like to admit.

people are bitching about the ref taking the point from garcia, ryan fucking socked him with a solid punch during the break. it wasn't borderline, he wasn't already throwing when the ref called it. it was clear as day to all 3 people in there that the ref was pulling them apart and ryan threw a punch. that's not a warning, a blatant foul like that should be a point deduction every fucking time.

as for the missed knockdowns, maybe i need to watch it again, but it seemed to me that ryan was trying to push him off of himself and devon's shaky legs just gave out. if you go down from grappling in the clinch, that's not a knockdown. granted, he was falling all over himself and he was excessively clinching, so i wouldn't complain if the ref took a point from him for clinching, but i don't think he missed any actual knockdowns.

other than that, the scorecards were rightfully close. 112-112 seems too close, i agree, but this shit about devin fucking haney having the ref and the judges in his pocket is ridiculous. he isn't some superstar, he isn't influential, he isn't even popular with anyone. people act like he's some boxing kingpin, it's devin haney for fuck's sake.

The turning of the back was disqualification level. I think Haney throwing to the back and the ref saying it was legal since it was Ryan turning it to him over and over probably benefited Ryan in a way because if the fight was just Ryan turning his back and avoiding engaging all night and Haney clinching and complaining about it, I could honestly see Garcia losing more points/dq’d/or even tko’d. Instead Haney took what the ref gave him, so I think that’s as much punishment as he really let Garcia receive for his cheating. Honestly Haney should be furious with the entire debacle.

it's shocking to me how few people know that if you intentionally turn your back on your opponent during the fight, the ref should interpret that as giving up. the fact that he didn't just means ryan got more slack than his fans would like to admit.

people are bitching about the ref taking the point from garcia, ryan fucking socked him with a solid punch during the break. it wasn't borderline, he wasn't already throwing when the ref called it. it was clear as day to all 3 people in there that the ref was pulling them apart and ryan threw a punch. that's not a warning, a blatant foul like that should be a point deduction every fucking time.

as for the missed knockdowns, maybe i need to watch it again, but it seemed to me that ryan was trying to push him off of himself and devon's shaky legs just gave out. if you go down from grappling in the clinch, that's not a knockdown. granted, he was falling all over himself and he was excessively clinching, so i wouldn't complain if the ref took a point from him for clinching, but i don't think he missed any actual knockdowns.

other than that, the scorecards were rightfully close. 112-112 seems too close, i agree, but this shit about devin fucking haney having the ref and the judges in his pocket is ridiculous. he isn't some superstar, he isn't influential, he isn't even popular with anyone. people act like he's some boxing kingpin, it's devin haney for fuck's sake.
The turning of the back was absolutely ridiculous and Garcia was basically saved by bad officiating.

seems a few people who actually know about boxing have turned up and started commenting

those pushes/grappling downs were not knockdowns at all, i swear people who are watching boxing these days dont have a fucking clue what they are looking at

seems a few people who actually know about boxing have turned up and started commenting

those pushes/grappling downs were not knockdowns at all, i swear people who are watching boxing these days dont have a fucking clue what they are looking at

I always like it when you're back Mr. Treelo, the remnant archaic flesh of Sherdog. Were you surprised by Mr. Haney's lack of lateral movement when Mr. Garcia blitzed him with a few linear combinations?

if it's a punch or punches that cause the initial stumble and there's no overt pressure pushing the fighter to the floor, it's a knockdown. those were knockdowns.

Yeah, Devin's kind of stuck in a hard place right now, can't move up to 147 and even though he just moved up to 140 looks drained
But he's the undisputed LW champ though. I dunno how he ever made the LW limit with his size and that weight cut honestly.

if it's a punch or punches that cause the initial stumble and there's no overt pressure pushing the fighter to the floor, it's a knockdown. those were knockdowns.
i dont think so, watching it live they looked like pushes to me, the ref was at fault for not stopping all the grappling which led to those, there were no clean shots landed to knock him down for the ones that weren't given, this isnt MMA or grappling(or at times it was)

Tank's not fighting anyone elite at 140, he hasn't even done it at 135 so that's irrelevant
He walks around 137-138 pounds … why he needs to move up … he is the bigger name … bigger draw… and probably can make 130 if there is a big enough fight … so stop with the nonsense of him moving up

By the way he stopped Mario Barrios … the same guy fighting for the wbc 147 pound title next

By the way he stopped Mario Barrios … the same guy fighting for the wbc 147 pound title next
Yea the size and height difference from the weigh ins prior to that fight were insane.

Tbf though Tank did look thicker in the weigh in so maybe he's not that undersized at 135 (or even at 140)

*shrug*

But he for sure weighs less than Devin Haney inside the ring

Did you? He outlanded him in 9 out of the 12 rounds in power punches. 95 to 45. Also 3 knockdowns. Literally outlanded him in more rounds too. Only one guy looked battered and was out on his feet to the point of going for takedowns. "Weird boxing math" aka actual fight statistics.

Back