Official UFC 196 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the complete opposite. Skelly has looked pretty bad in his last three fights. It almost seems like something is wrong with him physically or he is having horrible weight cuts. The way he gasses so hard is just crazy, because it's often not in a barnburner fight. He still gets the finish, but man does he look bad before the finish happens.

Both have bad striking, but I think Elkins defense is a lot better. On the flip side, Skelly's offense is more powerful. As for takedowns, I actually think Elkins is a better. When it comes to overall grappling though, Skelly may have an edge. With cardio though, it's no question at all. You are downplaying Elkins' record as well. He's literally 9-4 in the UFC with his losses to Oliveira, Mendes, Stephens, and Dias. That's a fairly proven fighter who doesn't fall to guys easily.

Mabye it's just Elkins beyond horrible fight with Lucas Martins and my earliest memory of him robbing Omigawa but the guys just a pretty solid fighter himself that can grind out decent fighers and nothing more. I honestly think Skelly would be his best win by far in the ufc.
As for Skelly I missed his Soriano fight but I think he ended up looking really good in finally outclassing the solid Jim Alers and I would also favour Souza over Elkins.

Elkins did his camp at TAM again

12729556_967520763303308_1293344810_n.jpg

Mabye it's just Elkins beyond horrible fight with Lucas Martins and my earliest memory of him robbing Omigawa but the guys just a pretty solid fighter himself that can grind out decent fighers and nothing more. I honestly think Skelly would be his best win by far in the ufc.
As for Skelly I missed his Soriano fight but I think he ended up looking really good in finally outclassing the solid Jim Alers and I would also favour Souza over Elkins.

Outclassing Alers? That's not how I remember the fight at all. It was incredibly close and Skelly actually won by an illegal knee that wasn't called illegal. I remember being on Skelly there and was nervous he was going to be DQed.

As fadeable as TAM has been as of late, gotta believe thats one of the better camps to be at to train for a style like Skelly's

Outclassing Alers? That's not how I remember the fight at all. It was incredibly close and Skelly actually won by an illegal knee that wasn't called illegal. I remember being on Skelly there and was nervous he was going to be DQed.

Yeah well thats how I recall it. Skelly taking over before the finsh but I hear you. I've bet Skelly vs everyone except Soriano and Niinimaki so maybe I'm bit emotional here but I actually rate highly the ability to turn bad momentum into a victory.

Ok so i have researched Silva Taleb and think Silva presents great value at -200.

Taleb in a nutshell is a poor mans Tibua up at WW. Ok boxing nice jab and counter right little variety tho and fairly low volume. Seems to lack any power. Has decent takedowns but when on top aside from nasty elbows little else - happy to sit in guard and not one sub attempt in his UFC career and no sub wins in his career ever.

Taleb has got pretty lucky with his UFC career so far. His first three opponents were low level UFC fighters and two have been cut possibly Li too. He was physically a lot bigger than all three and won because of this. Clements and Li should be LW's and Vic looked like a middle aged man which actually he is! He should have dispatched atleast one of them but all three went to a decision and he was never close to a finish. Lots of top control against Li and especially Vic yet no sub attempts or any desire to pass guard. Li pressured him standing which he struggled with and he only got the split as he managed to use his size to out scramble Li in the last minute of r3 and get on top.

As soon as he fought a good fighter his size he got smashed. In r1 Alves dropped him and took him down. He again struggled standing due to Alves' pressure and we all know Silva brings pressure in truckloads. He showed nothing off his back when Alves had top control in r1 and r2 easily holding half guard. He then got sub'd by foolishly leaving his head on the outside going for a double - he better watch this against Silva as thats how Silva dispatched Koscheck.

Taleb's only route to victory here is lnp but Silva is extremely dangerous on the mat. Silva will not be held down easily like Clements or Vic and i really see Silva winning by sub. Silva has good tdd partly helped by how athletic he is but i can see Taleb nicking a td. That does not concern me tho as he cannot keep Silva down and Silva is a sub hunter. On the feet Taleb will struggle with Silva's aggressiveness altho having spent his camp at Kings i expect a more patient Silva. Taleb's leg got chewed up by Li so i expect Silva to use low kicks and lets not forget about his evil liver kick. I think Silva will attempt td's too and i see no reason why he cannot get them he took Magny down three times and Taleb was taken down by Li and Alves more than once. If Taleb ends up on his back hes in big trouble.

I know there are concerns now Silva is clean but he looked fine to me against a contender in Magny in what was a close competitive fight. Second big step up in a row for Taleb and Silva has been eating mid-low level UFC fighters throughtout his tenure. I expect no different here.

I'm with you on Silva here. I think people are being way too reactive due to the Magny loss.

Ok so i have researched Silva Taleb and think Silva presents great value at -200.

Taleb in a nutshell is a poor mans Tibua up at WW. Ok boxing nice jab and counter right little variety tho and fairly low volume. Seems to lack any power. Has decent takedowns but when on top aside from nasty elbows little else - happy to sit in guard and not one sub attempt in his UFC career and no sub wins in his career ever.

Taleb has got pretty lucky with his UFC career so far. His first three opponents were low level UFC fighters and two have been cut possibly Li too. He was physically a lot bigger than all three and won because of this. Clements and Li should be LW's and Vic looked like a middle aged man which actually he is! He should have dispatched atleast one of them but all three went to a decision and he was never close to a finish. Lots of top control against Li and especially Vic yet no sub attempts or any desire to pass guard. Li pressured him standing which he struggled with and he only got the split as he managed to use his size to out scramble Li in the last minute of r3 and get on top.

As soon as he fought a good fighter his size he got smashed. In r1 Alves dropped him and took him down. He again struggled standing due to Alves' pressure and we all know Silva brings pressure in truckloads. He showed nothing off his back when Alves had top control in r1 and r2 easily holding half guard. He then got sub'd by foolishly leaving his head on the outside going for a double - he better watch this against Silva as thats how Silva dispatched Koscheck.

Taleb's only route to victory here is lnp but Silva is extremely dangerous on the mat. Silva will not be held down easily like Clements or Vic and i really see Silva winning by sub. Silva has good tdd partly helped by how athletic he is but i can see Taleb nicking a td. That does not concern me tho as he cannot keep Silva down and Silva is a sub hunter. On the feet Taleb will struggle with Silva's aggressiveness altho having spent his camp at Kings i expect a more patient Silva. Taleb's leg got chewed up by Li so i expect Silva to use low kicks and lets not forget about his evil liver kick. I think Silva will attempt td's too and i see no reason why he cannot get them he took Magny down three times and Taleb was taken down by Li and Alves more than once. If Taleb ends up on his back hes in big trouble.

I know there are concerns now Silva is clean but he looked fine to me against a contender in Magny in what was a close competitive fight. Second big step up in a row for Taleb and Silva has been eating mid-low level UFC fighters throughtout his tenure. I expect no different here.

nice breakdown mate. agree with alot of your points but as far as output and stats goes according to ufc they are all in favor of Taleb, strikes landed/absorbed/accuracy/defence/td/tdd.. and all the opponents Silva beat is also cut from the ufc. that said i still think i will play him to win itd if it pays decent.. if it goes to decision i suspect it will be very close.

nice breakdown mate. agree with alot of your points but as far as output and stats goes according to ufc they are all in favor of Taleb, strikes landed/absorbed/accuracy/defence/td/tdd.. and all the opponents Silva beat is also cut from the ufc. that said i still think i will play him to win itd if it pays decent.. if it goes to decision i suspect it will be very close.

I wouldnt pay attention to stats in this instance. Taleb has had tailor made poor opponents who he couldnt even stop itd. Silva's opponents may have been cut but Silva demolished them. His stats will be badly skewed by the Brown fight too. He also had a rnc locked in on a prime Fitch that i still dont know how Fitch got out of and i still dont know how Brown survived his r1 onslaught both were banging on the door for a title shot when Silva almost took them out. I also rate the likes of Brenneman, Rhodes, Koscheck and High a lot higher than someone like Vic G!

I dont see a decision being close even as i dont think Taleb can maintain top control and thats his only route to victory IMO.

Skelly says he's lighter this time - so it's going to be "a pretty good weight cut" - changed his diet, says he rested more this camp, not much else was said.

Interview -

damn Silva looks to be in amazing shape compared to his last fight.

12716672_1074999979197503_660826214_n.jpg

12677578_1160491553968728_1936846278_n.jpg

I wouldnt pay attention to stats in this instance. Taleb has had tailor made poor opponents who he couldnt even stop itd. Silva's opponents may have been cut but Silva demolished them. His stats will be badly skewed by the Brown fight too. He also had a rnc locked in on a prime Fitch that i still dont know how Fitch got out of and i still dont know how Brown survived his r1 onslaught both were banging on the door for a title shot when Silva almost took them out. I also rate the likes of Brenneman, Rhodes, Koscheck and High a lot higher than someone like Vic G!

I dont see a decision being close even as i dont think Taleb can maintain top control and thats his only route to victory IMO.

good points :) your breakdown, Seeing Silva in great shape and training at kings gave me the confidence to bet him straight.

Silva said after Magny fight that he had a horrible training camp and should have pulled out, maybe physique was due to that?

Hi guys! How is Villante ? I don't much about him, i know what i get from Lafiti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back