Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys really think the UFC want to see Andrade as champ? They'll find a way.

Do you guys really think the UFC want to see Andrade as champ? They'll find a way.

No I do not. That being said, Rose already said something about fighting her. The UFC might try Suarez / Andrade and hope that Tatiana knocks her off, but that fight is a toss-up for me right now or slightly in favor of Andrade.

Pretty hard to deny Andrade at this point. Rose vs. The Piledriver...and Suarez vs. Ansaroff on the same card to determine the next contender. Also, watch Tecia-Weili for possible future contender considerations. Since winning the belt 14 months ago, Rose has only fought once...but who gets more flak, her or Woodley. That division is starting to get a log jam of good challengers waiting for a shot.

Jarl

TT has gone back to ATT for her fight camp, I think this is a good move.

So being that this thread series is hands down the best place to discuss women's mma on the internet, I decided to come to you guys for advice/suggestions for my YT channel. What can/should I do to draw more interest/views?

Maybe just keep it fun, concise, and entertaining. I used to really enjoy the old WMMA Roundup channel. However, I think that sort of thing takes a LOT of work (if it's going to be anything more than a couple minutes long.) So, probably just short, fun videos that cram in a bunch of info. As long as you don't go into too much detail, offering brief personal opinion is fine. Just state and go on to the next subject. No need for a ten-minute breakdown of personal thoughts on a particular fighter (as seen on some channels covering WMMA).

Whatever you choose to do with the platform, thank you for putting in the time and effort to help keep others up to speed!

So being that this thread series is hands down the best place to discuss women's mma on the internet, I decided to come to you guys for advice/suggestions for my YT channel. What can/should I do to draw more interest/views?

-more video output? (I'm resigning from my secondary job, so I'll have more evenings free to do that)
-More UFC focus?
-Separate each news event into separate videos, instead of waiting for my weekly live stream to go over them all at once?
-More opinion pieces? (I want to stay focused on important stuff, and not get into "fight A said this stuff this week," bu that kind of stuff seems to be more popular)

I think the best decision I have made so far was to start doing the live fight companions, so I'm going to keep doing those, though not sure how often I'll do them for UFC events, unless there are three or more female fights on the card.

Guys, the floor is yours. Please let me know.

Missed this the first time. Responding only to let you know that you are not being ignored, as I have literally no idea. I suck at advertising/marketing.

You could possibly do companion pieces (meaning: written) for some of your videos. I know videos are more popular, and from content writing I have done in the past to supplement my income I know you need to keep them short as your average internet reader has the attention span of a fruit-fly (4 second click-through rate).

Maybe do something on the history of a fighter? How and why they started but, more importantly for me, how their training has changed since they started. Study the actual evolution of the training that makes a fighter. This is what I find most interesting, but I am a small minority.

Missed this the first time. Responding only to let you know that you are not being ignored, as I have literally no idea. I suck at advertising/marketing.

You could possibly do companion pieces (meaning: written) for some of your videos. I know videos are more popular, and from content writing I have done in the past to supplement my income I know you need to keep them short as your average internet reader has the attention span of a fruit-fly (4 second click-through rate).

Maybe do something on the history of a fighter? How and why they started but, more importantly for me, how their training has changed since they started. Study the actual evolution of the training that makes a fighter. This is what I find most interesting, but I am a small minority.

Great ideas. Biographical info about fighters would be an interesting read, but that also seems like it might require a lot of time: interviewing fighters, writing, editing... As much as I appreciate the small-community efforts put forth by individuals, I'd feel selfish in encouraging them to sacrifice their time simply for my entertainment. There sure are some knowledgeable and dedicated members in this forum!

-more video output? (I'm resigning from my secondary job, so I'll have more evenings free to do that)
-More UFC focus?
-Separate each news event into separate videos, instead of waiting for my weekly live stream to go over them all at once?
-More opinion pieces? (I want to stay focused on important stuff, and not get into "fight A said this stuff this week," bu that kind of stuff seems to be more popular)

I think the best decision I have made so far was to start doing the live fight companions, so I'm going to keep doing those, though not sure how often I'll do them for UFC events, unless there are three or more female fights on the card.

Guys, the floor is yours. Please let me know.

I think to keep any YT channel fresh and watchable, you need (at least) two out of three things: detailed information, somewhat controversial/debatable opinions, and/or humor.
1. information: It might seem redundant, but a lot of WMMA fans (myself included) don't keep up with fighter updates on social media. So, just collecting that data, summarizing and presenting it in an easily digestible form would be helpful.
2. opinion: sometimes a YT video can generate a lot of buzz with an opinion or clash of opinions (which carries over into the comments). Someone recently wrote about "Nunes being/not being the WMMA GOAT". Great topic with a lot of possible avenues of discussion: what's more important in determining this criteria? 20+ wins? Wins over other high-level fighters? Meteoric rise/aura of invincibility? Long winning streak? Few losses? All losses avenged? Multiple-time champion? Compare and contrast various candidates. It will probably bring out some fan-boi-ism, but it could also inform some people too. Maybe cover a potential GOAT candidate with each episode and add something like at the end like, "Amanda Nunes might not be the GOAT now, but if she does X, Y, and Z, the crown is hers for the taking." You could just as easily include segments about rising stars. Suarez and Ladd are on verge of taking over the UFC but most fight fans don't know much about them
3. humor: I don't know what you sense of humor or delivery skills are like, but they can spice up a show. Even just the occasional WMMA fans only will get this joke kind of thing could be a lot of fun.
4. Lastly, keep you videos short. Most of the people making MMA videos on YT know seem to deliberately keep them under 10 minutes and included all three of the criteria I listed above. I should point that I not an expert on this things, but these are just my insights based on what I've seen. I think a thick, solid, tight (8-minute) vid with 2-3 minutes of collected social media information would be a good start...then a opinion of the week segment with 2-3 minutes and even multiple contributors to get the discussion rolling....maybe a "blast from the past" segment featuring some now forgotten pioneers for WMMA pre-Rousey....maybe a most anticipated fight over the next two weeks (and why)...and a joke at the very end.

Anyway, that's my overly-long-winded basket of ideas. I hope you are super successful.

Jarl

Some thoughts on 145 division:

1. Nunes got the belt, this is good news for the division. Without Cyborg on the top, now the division will has the chance to develop contenders.

2. The division lacks high-level talents, but it can be fun. Ppl love watching slugfests from men's heavyweight division, UFC should sign up some big female kickboxers to have some justbleed fights.

3. Both Ladd & Pennington seem to approach barrelweight now, and I don't think Zingano will have a pathway to titleshot at 135 in the future. So some talents in 135 will likely move up to 145, good news to the division.

Some thoughts on 145 division:

1. Nunes got the belt, this is good news for the division. Without Cyborg on the top, now the division will has the chance to develop contenders.

2. The division lacks high-level talents, but it can be fun. Ppl love watching slugfests from men's heavyweight division, UFC should sign up some big female kickboxers to have some justbleed fights.

3. Both Ladd & Pennington seem to approach barrelweight now, and I don't think Zingano will have a pathway to titleshot at 135 in the future. So some talents in 135 will likely move up to 145, good news to the division.
Pennington and Zingano both developed issues with making the weight after getting the crap beat out of them by Amanda. Maybe she can start beating 35ers up to 45 then beating them there too.

Pennington and Zingano both developed issues with making the weight after getting the crap beat out of them by Amanda. Maybe she can start beating 35ers up to 45 then beating them there too.

Actually the reason Raquel Pennington has issues with the scales was she
was diagnosed with hypothyroidism which has nothing to do with head trauma
but rather caused by the thyroid gland not producing enough thyroid hormone
with one of the several symptoms being weight gain.

TT has gone back to ATT for her fight camp, I think this is a good move.

No disrespect to Tecia but I don't think any camp will save her a bad beating here.

Now that 235 is potentially set with main comain. It's pretty much guaranteed rose vs Andrade wolnt be till 236 April, hopefully under DC vs Lesnar so the winner gets a big fan bump.

Does it seem that the cut to 135 might be a little too taxing for Nunes? I'd venture to guess that some of the health problems she faced in past fights were compounded by the toll of weight cutting. She showed durability and wrecked shop at 145. Is there a possibility that FW might magically start to grow so there'd be a viable division for her to sit atop?

It wasn't all that long ago that Nunes caught a lot of flack for pulling out of fights. Now, she's being heralded as the GOAT for bringing the giant down. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking in hoping that 145 will sprout so that Nunes can stay there and have an active/viable career (without hurting herself to cut to 135). I think it would make BW more interesting, as well.

Does it seem that the cut to 135 might be a little too taxing for Nunes? I'd venture to guess that some of the health problems she faced in past fights were compounded by the toll of weight cutting. She showed durability and wrecked shop at 145. Is there a possibility that FW might magically start to grow so there'd be a viable division for her to sit atop?

It wasn't all that long ago that Nunes caught a lot of flack for pulling out of fights. Now, she's being heralded as the GOAT for bringing the giant down. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking in hoping that 145 will sprout so that Nunes can stay there and have an active/viable career (without hurting herself to cut to 135). I think it would make BW more interesting, as well.
Nunes caught flack for pulling out against Shevchenko due to a sinus infection combined with sinusitis. The Weight cut has nothing to do with sinus problems.

Hoping that 145 will sprout is wishful thinking, indeed.
upload_2019-1-6_17-8-19.png

I think to keep any YT channel fresh and watchable, you need (at least) two out of three things: detailed information, somewhat controversial/debatable opinions, and/or humor.
1. information: It might seem redundant, but a lot of WMMA fans (myself included) don't keep up with fighter updates on social media. So, just collecting that data, summarizing and presenting it in an easily digestible form would be helpful.
2. opinion: sometimes a YT video can generate a lot of buzz with an opinion or clash of opinions (which carries over into the comments). Someone recently wrote about "Nunes being/not being the WMMA GOAT". Great topic with a lot of possible avenues of discussion: what's more important in determining this criteria? 20+ wins? Wins over other high-level fighters? Meteoric rise/aura of invincibility? Long winning streak? Few losses? All losses avenged? Multiple-time champion? Compare and contrast various candidates. It will probably bring out some fan-boi-ism, but it could also inform some people too. Maybe cover a potential GOAT candidate with each episode and add something like at the end like, "Amanda Nunes might not be the GOAT now, but if she does X, Y, and Z, the crown is hers for the taking." You could just as easily include segments about rising stars. Suarez and Ladd are on verge of taking over the UFC but most fight fans don't know much about them
3. humor: I don't know what you sense of humor or delivery skills are like, but they can spice up a show. Even just the occasional WMMA fans only will get this joke kind of thing could be a lot of fun.
4. Lastly, keep you videos short. Most of the people making MMA videos on YT know seem to deliberately keep them under 10 minutes and included all three of the criteria I listed above. I should point that I not an expert on this things, but these are just my insights based on what I've seen. I think a thick, solid, tight (8-minute) vid with 2-3 minutes of collected social media information would be a good start...then a opinion of the week segment with 2-3 minutes and even multiple contributors to get the discussion rolling....maybe a "blast from the past" segment featuring some now forgotten pioneers for WMMA pre-Rousey....maybe a most anticipated fight over the next two weeks (and why)...and a joke at the very end.

Anyway, that's my overly-long-winded basket of ideas. I hope you are super successful.

Jarl

agree with all of that

i would also say dont be scared of scripting, if you can script and read it quickly you can do in three minutes what would take 6-7 minutes of slower improv.

time is a massive facftor, people dont watch long videos anymore, they want punchy, quick. hell, if you can get segments under 30-45 seconds then you can put the entire segment in a tweet

No disrespect to Tecia but I don't think any camp will save her a bad beating here.

Now that 235 is potentially set with main comain. It's pretty much guaranteed rose vs Andrade wolnt be till 236 April, hopefully under DC vs Lesnar so the winner gets a big fan bump.

i wouldnt rule out 115lb title being on espn

they may want to hit the early espn cards really big

Actually the reason Raquel Pennington has issues with the scales was she
was diagnosed with hypothyroidism which has nothing to do with head trauma
but rather caused by the thyroid gland not producing enough thyroid hormone
with one of the several symptoms being weight gain.

This can be a side effect of TBI. Cranial trauma resulting in damage to multiple functions. Also can be a function of secondary concussive trauma (such as getting caught in the blast radius of an explosion, for instance, without taking exterior physical damage). Commonly from damage to the pituitary gland or hypothalamus, but not always. In some cases damage to the neural coding can affect the performance of all hormonal output and regulation. Including adrenal function and cortical hormone output.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3407649

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3098464

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3150320

Status
Not open for further replies.