Not open for further replies.
DEEP uploaded Shinashi vs Watanabe 2

Saturday May 9
UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Main Card – PPV (ESPN+) – 10:00pm ET / 7:00pm PT
Preliminary Card – ESPN / ESPN+ – 6:00pm ET / 3:00pm PT
Carla Esparza vs. Michelle Waterson

Looks like WLF just had an event. Not sure who Shi Ming fought. Looks like either Xue Wang or Xiaoni Liu.

Last edited:
Seems Jenny Huang is preparing for some kind of match on Sunday. Doubtful it’s mma, as she’s still signed to one. Probably some MT fight.

Carla Esparza (15-6) v. Michelle Waterson (17-7)

The UFC returns Saturday. I'm excited for this Strawweight matchup of two veterans who have proven they belong while being amongst the smaller fighters in the division. Carla was the inaugural champ before losing her title to Joanna J. She has bounced back considerably since then. She's demonstrated great fortitude and racked up five victories, her only blowout loss being to enigmatic beast Tatiana Suarez. She returns after going 2-0 in 2019, with successive wins over Virna Jandiroba and Alexa Grasso.

Michelle brings her entertaining karate hybrid style. She's enjoyed surprising success and durability, gaining consecutive wins against Cortney Casey, Felice Herrig and Karolina K. That win-streak earned Michelle a fight night main event match against Joanna J., who dominated the five-rounder. This led to Joanna's bloody title fight against Zhang Weili - candidate for fight of the year and an all-time great war. Versus JJ, Michelle proved game, nearly hitting an early submission and going the distance showing her toughness and heart.

Their styles are very different. Carla's a technically adept wrestler, hitting takedowns and using her submission skills. Her stand-up has greatly improved. Michelle has a karate hybrid style, using high kicks, athleticism and unpredictable moves.

Expect Carla to be the aggressor. She'll try to close the distance and hit takedowns to get her chain wrestling going. Waterson may try to pick shots from a distance and use her speed to create opportunities for her 'anything goes' style.

I'm rooting for Waterson. Picking Esparza.

Interested in everyone's thoughts. Stay safe & healthy, friends.

I think Carla is underrated, so I'll go with her

@PurpleStorm Good post! Glad to have some fights again (and we just were informed on thee local football leagues being cleared to start and we now have dates for them, so my summer is not completely ruined)

I'm rooting for Waterson. Picking Esparza.

Same, Waterson's always been awesome (and slightly underrated here cause of her looks and to spite @SeverianB :p ), but for some reason I'm guessing Esparza as the winner, even though it will make me sad. And then I'll argue with @Xuh about singlets.

"Did you predict Esparza to win just so you can mention singlets and Xuh?"

Yes, I think I did :(

Last edited:
I'm also picking Esparza, but I'm expecting a close fight. I think Waterson's TD defense will be better than people expect. And, I think Carla's striking will be better than people expect. (And, I'll be looking forward to either SevarianB or Xuh admitting defeat...and/or their parade of excuses).

Jarl

Not sure who wins, but hoping it's Esparza so she gets a rematch with either Rose or Joanna. Which will end badly for her.

I'm also picking Esparza, but I'm expecting a close fight. I think Waterson's TD defense will be better than people expect. And, I think Carla's striking will be better than people expect. (And, I'll be looking forward to either SevarianB or Xuh admitting defeat...and/or their parade of excuses).

Jarl
Severian hasn’t been around in quite a while. Just a theory that I honestly hope isn’t true, but sausage carrrius hasn’t been seen since Joanna v. Zhang. Severian often joked they were alter egos. Hopefully nothing happened to him/them.

Angela Hill still planning to fight in a week, after knowing what happened yesterday:

Alexa Grasso and Karina Rodriguez have the same problem they are to inactive the first couple of rounds and tend to win the 3rd only to lose a 29-28 decision, I wish they both would move to a better training camp.

Alexa Grasso and Karina Rodriguez have the same problem they are to inactive the first couple of rounds and tend to win the 3rd only to lose a 29-28 decision, I wish they both would move to a better training camp.
They are like the only high level mexican fighters that havent moved out of their cities and i doubt they ever do because of the culture, specially Alexa considering her coach is her family, it shows too they're very strong yet keep getting outgrappled need better grappling coaches like Aldana rolling for a kneebar vs Pennington was embarrasing.

Severian hasn’t been around in quite a while. Just a theory that I honestly hope isn’t true, but sausage carrrius hasn’t been seen since Joanna v. Zhang. Severian often joked they were alter egos. Hopefully nothing happened to him/them.

Severian gave me a like yesterday for a post suggesting Carla would win, maybe Xuh hacked the account.

Waterson v esparza should be fun today like the unofficial aw ufc champion. I know alots changed over the years but Michelle looked way better vs jj, so I'll take her here.

I am also going to go with Esparza via superior wrestling. Both women are veterans and it should be a very good fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.