Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #11

Rin Nakai is a gimmick fighter who was never very good who was coddled and protected by Pancrase. She needed hometown judging and special rules to beat Danielle West and the dead rotting corpse of Tara Larosa. Once she left the comfy confines of Pancrase of course she got exposed.

The only people who thought Rin would ragdoll Tate were fanboys who were mesmerized by her physique. That fight was as predictable as they come.

I don't know about that, I supported Tate and thought she would win but I was a little worried. Rin WAS able to overpower D'Alelio who dominated Amanda Nunes and is similar size to Miesha... hindsight is 20/20.

Rin Nakai is a gimmick fighter who was never very good who was coddled and protected by Pancrase. She needed hometown judging and special rules to beat Danielle West and the dead rotting corpse of Tara Larosa. Once she left the comfy confines of Pancrase of course she got exposed.

She actually did pretty well for a newcomer fighting a top 5 ranked fighter. Stop fighter bashing and respect the athletes

Rin Nakai might not be as strong in reality but she has a MORE stocky build and bigger arms than Ronda Rousey. It wasn't crazy to speculate she might be able to throw MCT around.

We have to thank Joe Silva excelent matchmaking in ruining prospects, Pacheco, Nakai, Murphy, who will Holly Holm fight now? HUH?

We have to thank Joe Silva excelent matchmaking in ruining prospects, Pacheco, Nakai, Murphy, who will Holly Holm fight now? HUH?

Pacheco fighting Andrade didn't seem that unreasonable. Andrade had been finished by Carmouche, beaten an old Rosi Sexton, and barely scraped by Pennington who doesn't even have a winning record, sure Pacheco could have fought someone a little less experienced but it wasn't even as lopsided on paper as when Alexis Dufresne was to face Amanda Nunes.

Holly Hype Holm vs Germaine De Randamie or Jessica Rakoczy.

Nakai was never a prospect. She was meant to be an opponent in which the second most popular bantamweight woman could showcase herself on a big Fight Pass show.

Since losing to Ronda a second time, Miesha has been put in fights where she is supposed to win because the UFC recognizes that there is still fan interest in Miesha higher than most other women at 135.

And as I said earlier in the thread, Miesha has failed to produce both times. She has won, but they have been meaningless wins. There is nothing for the highlight reel, nothing to resell herself as a contender.

It isn't just about getting the win, those fights were meant to be commercials designed to sell Miesha more to the public, especially the one on Fox against Carmouche.

Not quite. If Rin won, then the UFC would have a female Japanese prospect on their hands, which could only help that market. And to be fair, it wasn't all that far off.

However, she is obviously too short for that division, and should really try losing a tad of mass and go down to 115, where she would have a much easier time overpowering girls with her grappling. You could clearly see that the leverage wasn't there to get Miesha down (before she got tired). She also needs to find a better gym or at least better sparring partners, especially for her stand up.

Well, the logistics are always that easy, I imagine. Fighters need to accept fights, timing, injuries etc.

We're saying that now, but it's largely because she lost. She's probably not much if at all lighter than Miesha, shorter sure but fewer people are saying Jessica Andrade is too small right now. If Rin had ragdolled Miesha like some expected, there wouldn't be this talk, there wasn't much after she fought D'Alelio who's the same size as Tate.

I doubt Nakai cuts much weight at all. Tate would of been significantly heavier in the ring.

this is a good discussion regarding nakai vs tate. you guys have good opinions regarding both fighters.

Pacheco fighting Andrade didn't seem that unreasonable. Andrade had been finished by Carmouche, beaten an old Rosi Sexton, and barely scraped by Pennington who doesn't even have a winning record, sure Pacheco could have fought someone a little less experienced but it wasn't even as lopsided on paper as when Alexis Dufresne was to face Amanda Nunes.

Holly Hype Holm vs Germaine De Randamie or Jessica Rakoczy.

Still Murphy and Rin Nakai had to fight top 5 fighters on their debut, when if they had watched their fights earlier that it should not be the case.

Undefeated prospects are a big value in a developing division. Specially Rin Nakai had dat hype, and sure Miesha has a name but you use it for other fights.

Regardless, looking at the fighters on the division is in dure need of more fighters. Germaine De Ramine (last fight Nov. 3 2013), Raquel Pennington (last fight in March), Sarah Kaufmann(last fight in April, only 1 fight in 2014), Jessica Eye (last fight in february against Alexis Davis, she has some promise).

this is a good discussion regarding nakai vs tate. you guys have good opinions regarding both fighters.

Thank you kind sir.

I doubt Nakai cuts much weight at all. Tate would of been significantly heavier in the ring.

Rin is built like a truck, I think she is like 145 or close. She may be shorter but she is MUCH stockier than the typical 5'5-5'6 BW. She has 'balloon muscles' lol.

Another reason I think it's premature to say she should drop weight is because of how small our sample size is, just because she had trouble taking down the number 2 and former champion who has high wrestling skill doesn't necessarily mean she can't ragdoll the rest of the division. 'Work on striking' seems like more timely advice although it will be hard with her reach...

Maybe Rin vs Pennington next seeing as the latter has already lost to another mini-BW XD

That's messed up. She wasn't able to participate in TUF because she was under contract, but WSOF was just holding onto her until they decided they didn't need her? Nine months later? WSOF is earning a bad rep lately.

Yep. They seem like an absolute shit organization. They did this fighter wrong.

Yep. They seem like an absolute shit organization. They did this fighter wrong.

They've had a history of unethical behaviors lately. Between cutting Gray 9 months after her fight, not keeping fighters active and then forcing them to fight for lower pay than what their contract stipulates. All of that just adds up to a poorly run organization taking advantage of their own fighters.

@BigMuffler - I agree the matchups lately in the UFC WBW division have been questionable. But they're mostly due to not signing the best fighters until recently. The talent pool began to dry up after the TUF 18 cast fell flat on their face. Once the division began to thin out, they suddenly were forced to sign girls like Rin, Holm and Murphy-- women who should have been in the UFC a ling time ago.

Now they're bringing in girls and throwing them to the wolves. It's funny, because they forced a guy like Kelvin Gastelum to build up after winning TUF, but these girls are required to face off against Top 5 talent. I admit, they did a good job with Bethe Correa though, but I would still like to see them sign Tonya Evinger and give these new girls an initial fight with someone outside the Top 10.

They've had a history of unethical behaviors lately. Between cutting Gray 9 months after her fight, not keeping fighters active and then forcing them to fight for lower pay than what their contract stipulates. All of that just adds up to a poorly run organization taking advantage of their own fighters.

@BigMuffler - I agree the matchups lately in the UFC WBW division have been questionable. But they're mostly due to not signing the best fighters until recently. The talent pool began to dry up after the TUF 18 cast fell flat on their face. Once the division began to thin out, they suddenly were forced to sign girls like Rin, Holm and Murphy-- women who should have been in the UFC a ling time ago.

Now they're bringing in girls and throwing them to the wolves. It's funny, because they forced a guy like Kelvin Gastelum to build up after winning TUF, but these girls are required to face off against Top 5 talent. I admit, they did a good job with Bethe Correa though, but I would still like to see them sign Tonya Evinger and give these new girls an initial fight with someone outside the Top 10.

We have to pray to the gods that they don't make any stupid match ups with Holly Holm.

We have to pray to the gods that they don't make any stupid match ups with Holly Holm.

Don't worry, Holly is one of the only 3 legit female fighters along with Ronda and Cyborg and won't lose to any of the inferior UFC fighters like Sara McMann or Alexis Davis.

/trollface

Don't worry, Holly is one of the only 3 legit female fighters along with Ronda and Cyborg and won't lose to any of the inferior UFC fighters like Sara McMann or Alexis Davis.

/trollface

C'mon, I know Holly is overhyped but she has some steam behind her, a good camp, a boxing pedigree and good looks. At this point we need everything in our power to hype the WBW division.

Back