Older MMA Fans, did Crazy Horse Bennett have potential to be a threat in the UFC?

Crazy Horse had a shit ton of potential, great knockout power, athleticism and talent. If he had been diciplined and trained properly he would most likely been champ. However it's hard being a champ when you have a massive drug problem and low impulse control.

Dave Herman was another. He was kind of a freak athlete who made the Indiana D-1 wrestling team without ever wrestling in high school. He mostly trained in his garage and was 21-2 when he came to the UFC. (One loss a DQ against Sokoudjou in a fight he was winning and another loss in a fight he was dominating but totally gassed--a sign of his lack of serious training). There was a video of him outrunning an NFL running back in foot race on the streets of Nashville. But he was a headcase who never learned very basic boxing and striking defense, preferring instead to make up his own kung fu movie kicks (see his fight with Ron Waterman). The fancy/unorthodox stuff would've been a good addition if he was more grounded in fundamentals.

Come to think of it, Sokoudjou may have been another--KO power in his hands and feet and good judo, but not much else. He had the athletic ability and potential to be really good with more well-rounded training. I'm not sure if he or his training schools or both were at fault. He never evolved from the guy who KO'd prime Arona and Lil Nog but then got exposed by Machida.

I'd also add Tank Abbott as he was very strong when he started (watch him in 1995, not 2005), had an All-American juco wrestling background and at least a little boxing training with Roy Nelson-like KO power. That was a good combo for the early days of NHB. Like Herman, though, he liked to brag about how little he trained and how he'd come straight off barstools for a fight.

Continue by all means. There have always been guys who didn't pan out. Todd Duffee, Shane del Rosario, Papi Abedi, Shawn Jordan, etc.

He was the definition of a journeyman for MMA, he was naturally gifted but didn't take the sport very seriously, he had the athletic ability to pull off the occasional upset but not the technical ability to be consistent enough to cement himself as a contender.

No. He was athletic and had good power in his hands. That's about it. He lacked discipline, brains, a chin, and any kind of grappling or sub defense.

His only notable wins are the KO over Noons which would probably never happen again if they fought 30 more times, and a KO over Yoshiro Maeda who was a career 135er and was vastly outsized in their fight.

He's more known for KOing Wanderlei backstage in PRIDE than he is for anything he ever did inside the ring/cage.
Candylei!

Didn't know he did time at Santa rosa.i did some time there during my bid for weed charges.worked all over jay,Navarre,and couple other spots. Edit: just looked him up and he would've been there around the same time as me.do you know if he was at the main unit or annex?
Oh shit. You spent some time in my area. I live in Crestview. I’m not sure what unit he would’ve been in. I can ask my buddy. I’ll let you know what he says.

Worked in Crestview some as well.beautiful area!
Yeah it really is. There is so much to do here no matter what your interests are. I don’t know how long it’s been since your stay, but this entire area has blown up. Pace and Milton especially. Jay….not so much lol.

No but he could have been a fun guy for the roster with the right matchups.

Continue by all means. There have always been guys who didn't pan out. Todd Duffee, Shane del Rosario, Papi Abedi, Shawn Jordan, etc.
Yeah, one of these days I may do a thread about the entire generation of HWs about 5 years younger than Sylvia/Mir/Arlovski/Big Nog/Fedor who totally flopped or didn't reach their potential for various reasons. All the guys you mentioned (except Abedi) along with Herman, Travis Browne and a few others. These guys could've potentially been Stipe's title defenses instead of Werdum, Hunt, Arlovski and JDS.

I completely forgot about Dave Herman, wasn't he one of those guys that said BJJ doesn't work? I remember the hype around him as well, and remember him looking like a completely different person when he came to one fight all tan, hairy, and shaggy.
Yeah, he said BJJ didn't work but had a win by omoplata. Like I said, he got by on athleticism and specialized in exotic/unorthodox stuff (which was cool) but never mastered fundamentals.

i've never really gone into details: what were his issues?
drugs, mental problems or was he just lazy, not serious about sport (which is apparently his career, doing this in the last 25 years)?

Yeah it really is. There is so much to do here no matter what your interests are. I don’t know how long it’s been since your stay, but this entire area has blown up. Pace and Milton especially. Jay….not so much lol.
Haha I was there from 2012-mid 2014 jay and monson I think was the other town were rural as hell .LA lower Alabama. The county yard we worked out of was in little Baghdad.

He had power and was fun. He lacked any sort of discipline and was not very tough imo though.

Absolutely. Bennett could have a much different legacy if he had taken the sport or his life serious at any point in time.

i've never really gone into details: what were his issues?
drugs, mental problems or was he just lazy, not serious about sport (which is apparently his career, doing this in the last 25 years)?

The main issue is he sucked. His mental issues are the only reason anyone talks about him.

Charles workout was jerking off and was able to knockout Wanderlei Silva with that hammer of an arm

Back