Oleinik vs Barnett NEEDS to happen!

Ghost in the Dark

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No sooner was Oleinik vs. Werdum announced as the headliner of UFC Moscow, 15th September, than Werdum was taken down by U.S.A.D.A.

Recently Josh Barnett was cleared by U.S.A.D.A. to compete again also.

susumu24.jpg

011517-ufc-aleksei-oleinik.vresize.1200.630.high.77.jpg

Both are elite submission grapplers, Oleinik is currently ranked 10th and although Barnett is currently unranked that's pretty much where I think most people would put him at this point.

2 strong grapplers, about the same age, looking to make their way (back) up into the top 10 and the time is right for both of them to get a full camp in.

What say you Sherdog, you up for this fight?

Excellent suggestion!

Hopefully it wouldn't end standing ala Barnett vs Mir.

Rothwell choked out Barnet , I don't think fighting Oleynik would be a smart move for him

He left the testing pool so he'd have to do 6 months of USADA before he can compete again. September is out of the question, unfortunately

Rothwell choked out Barnet , I don't think fighting Oleynik would be a smart move for him

That was due to Barnett being much more concerned about Rothwell's power and striking. He went for a single leg (if I remember right), and held on too long, probably thinking his grappling was too good to ever be submitted. It's kind of the opposite situation of Cro-Cop getting KO'd by Gonzaga. And it's similar to Jon Jones almost getting arm barred by Vitor, when he was only concerned with Vitor's striking game.

Against Oleynik, he knows what he's up against. That doesn't mean he couldn't get submitted, but he'll definitely be more careful.

That was due to Barnett being much more concerned about Rothwell's power and striking. He went for a single leg (if I remember right), and held on too long, probably thinking his grappling was too good to ever be submitted. It's kind of the opposite situation of Cro-Cop getting KO'd by Gonzaga. And it's similar to Jon Jones almost getting arm barred by Vitor, when he was only concerned with Vitor's striking game.

Against Oleynik, he knows what he's up against. That doesn't mean he couldn't get submitted, but he'll definitely be more careful.
Nope, non of this has anything to do with what actually happened.
Big Ben was using the wall in a sneaky way to block the passers to get the submission via gogo, it kept working for him in multiple fights. He calls it a cheat code cause of that. Ever since it was exposed with several bjj expert vids analyzing what he did on YT, it has become pretty easy for any high level fighter with a grappling background to avoid.

When someone goes for a "gogo choke"(not 10 fingers like some here said), in a grappling match, there si no cage or wall to stop you from escaping so they aren't used to it, and kept working till it didn't anymore.

It's beautiful how teh game keeps evolving.

That would be a good fight. Good matchup!

Nice idea. Would love to see it.

Rothwell's size and Barnett's decline were big factors. Olenyk's a small HW and they're both 40. Seems a good matchup.

Barnett is pretty much retired though, isn't he?

I like the fight a lot. I just want to see Barnett fight again

No sooner was Oleinik vs. Werdum announced as the headliner of UFC Moscow, 15th September, than Werdum was taken down by U.S.A.D.A.

Recently Josh Barnett was cleared by U.S.A.D.A. to compete again also.

susumu24.jpg

011517-ufc-aleksei-oleinik.vresize.1200.630.high.77.jpg

Both are elite submission grapplers, Oleinik is currently ranked 10th and although Barnett is currently unranked that's pretty much where I think most people would put him at this point.

2 strong grapplers, about the same age, looking to make their way (back) up into the top 10 and the time is right for both of them to get a full camp in.

What say you Sherdog, you up for this fight?

Barnett is not currently cleared to fight.

he left the testing pool in december 2016, so has to do 6 months in the pool before he can fight (And that cannot be waived because he has tested positive in the past)

So no, Barnettr is not currently cleared to fight..

Great fight.... have to agree with popular opinion here that Oleinik takes it IMO.

Barnett is not currently cleared to fight.

he left the testing pool in december 2016, so has to do 6 months in the pool before he can fight (And that cannot be waived because he has tested positive in the past)

So no, Barnettr is not currently cleared to fight..

Any word on if he has re entered the pool at this point?

This would be a good fight.

I don't think Barnett getting tapped by Rothwell really means much in the scheme of things. Nobody knew about that gogo choke at the time.

Whereas I doubt Barnett would make the same mistake 2x and sleep on the Ezekiel.

Back