OMG you're a purple belt and you don't know how to do *this* ?!

What were the worse holes you've ever seen in a purple belt's game?

I'm approaching my purple belt, being at 3 stripes blue, and yet I don't feel at all ready for it.

I'm afraid I have silly holes in my game, and to be embarassed one day when getting my purple belt and visiting another gym and people being like: "omg how do you not know this?!". Is this normal? Though I do generally well rolling with other blues, I still have this fear.

One major hole I see in my game is in takedowns. I feel like a white belt when standing, I do a crappy ouchi gari once in a million years and thats it. Every attempt at double leg so far has meant getting sprawled on and going to turtle or at most pulling guard. I've been trying to work on that, good thing our new teacher starts the rolls standing, but I definitely need to get together with someone to drill more because the total time standing and learning takedowns is so little. Im sure there are other holes that I have to work on, but I'm not sure what they are. I guess I'll just ask some of the rolling partners what they see in my game.

What must purple belts know for sure, and what mistakes do blues make that they must fix before going to purple?

And yes, I know, "shut up and train", I'm doing that too :cool:

Bro, I still can't finish a N/S choke. Bite me.

I think you all are thinking to much. You put in the time, accept your rank

Time isn't everything. I've put in more mat time than the guys I started with, but one got to purple nearly 6 months ago after less than 2 years at blue and the other is just waiting for everyone to get together so they can award his. I've had 4 on my blue for six months and had 3 on it for six months before that and don't have purple anywhere near in sight. Talent, flexibility, technique, and mental fortitude definitely play a factor and can easily override the time component. I have no issues with that because it's objectively true. I'll get there when I've earned it, not just by showing up.

Just my opinion, though.

Leglocks and takedowns are probably the most common holes in purple belt games. Considering that it usually only takes 4-6 years to get a purple belt, there are going to be lots of glaring holes in most people's games when they get to purple. Usually takes more than 6 years to get a decent well-rounded game.

What must purple belts know for sure, and what mistakes do blues make that they must fix before going to purple?
:

Does your instructor follow a curriculum?

A purple from one gym is different from another gym due to their training program and curiculum.

I would not worry about it to be honest.

Just enjoy the journey and not stress about the destination.

OMG you're a purple belt and you don't know how to check someone's oil?

I'm a three stripe blue as well and my takedown game sucks, I only have a decent single leg and that's about it. I could definitely be better with escaping from the turtle position, I don't get subbed from there but I'm almost completely shut down from turtle and when I do get out it only leads me into an equally shitty spot. Just stfu and train I guess? Lol

I think you all are thinking to much. You put in the time, accept your rank

Judo:
The way I figure:
if a 6th, a couple 5ths, a few 4-3rd Dans with over a century of Judo between them and more comp wins than I could ever dream of say "Tom here is your promotion to Nikyu" who am I to question?

Offensive holes are nothing to be worried about. There are multiple time world champs with huge offensive holes.

Defensive holes are what is paramount. There are very few/hardly any upper level belts who have success with big defensive holes.

Offensive holes are nothing to be worried about. There are multiple time world champs with huge offensive holes.

Defensive holes are what is paramount. There are very few/hardly any upper level belts who have success with big defensive holes.

You just made my day!

really solid advice for anyone who wants it.

Im a brown and there are a bunch of things I don't know or do well.

I'm guessing the same will be true when I get my black in a couple of year.

im a brownbelt and i have been really working my wrestling and judo as i think that was not emphasized at my school coming up they did a lot of guard pulling , so i can do takedowns but i dont have confidence with them in tournament matches to even attempt them i end up pulling, its a part of my game im actively working on

True Dat, I'll get a touch frustrated if i can't finish from a dominant position but i'll hit the books if someone is cutting through my guard or running round me.

Also, I've dated some girls with big offensive holes.

One day I was in the office at the academy talking about upcoming tournaments and stuff. I made the remark rr3garding that year's upcoming "season" was going to be the year that I was going to just sandbag away as a four stripe blue. Apparently my professor had other plans for me as very very shortly after he promoted me to purple. It was funny but also a bit of a shock to me as I did kinda doubt my skillset. My first tournament at purple ended up being Old Man Worlds where despite losing my first match, I felt I belonged at that level.

There will always be someone better at the belt you get promoted. It is just how it is and you need to trust your professor's judgement.

Also, I've dated some girls with big offensive holes.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

I'm approaching my purple belt, being at 3 stripes blue, and yet I don't feel at all ready for it.

I'm afraid I have silly holes in my game, and to be embarassed one day when getting my purple belt and visiting another gym and people being like: "omg how do you not know this?!". Is this normal? Though I do generally well rolling with other blues, I still have this fear.

One major hole I see in my game is in takedowns. I feel like a white belt when standing, I do a crappy ouchi gari once in a million years and thats it. Every attempt at double leg so far has meant getting sprawled on and going to turtle or at most pulling guard. I've been trying to work on that, good thing our new teacher starts the rolls standing, but I definitely need to get together with someone to drill more because the total time standing and learning takedowns is so little. Im sure there are other holes that I have to work on, but I'm not sure what they are. I guess I'll just ask some of the rolling partners what they see in my game.

And yes, I know, "shut up and train", I'm doing that too :cool:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Bjj has gotten so complex and the approaches to teaching/training so varied that it will be impossible to get everyone to agree on what specific things a purple should know.

I know purple belts who don't even know that Gracie self defense exists, I know purples who don't know how to Upa from the mount or how to stand up in base. These same purple belts have excellent guards/passing, decent takedowns and know other ways to escape successfully from the mount and are totally capable of defending themselves in the self defense situations that they are likely to encounter.

Your question kind of touches on something that has been happening in Bjj for a while now. The transition from being a Martial art with specific guiding philosophies and general promotional requirements to a more generic grappling art that morphs slightly to fit whatever rule sets it is being applied under where performance is more of a criteria for promotion.

I train with a brown belt who has no idea how to do a penetration step for a wrestling shot. Dude otherwise has a solid all-around BJJ game, but to me, this is a problem.

Back