PBP ONE Fight Night 17: Kryklia vs. Roberts, Fri. 12/8, 8 PM ET/5 PM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Who wins the One Championship heavyweight muay thai belt?

• Alex Roberts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
250 Muay Thai fights and wins by age 21 is pretty impressive. That's a lot of fights. That's longevity right there.

Vast majority of those Muay Thai bouts are hard sparring "bouts" that they count as official so the gamblers can bet on them. For me "longevity" is them fighting high level oppoent s for a long time, which doesn't happen in Muay Thai often

Also lol about posting Rodtang, proves the average ONE fan has no idea about the scene

Also lol about posting Rodtang, proves the average ONE fan has no idea about the scene
Never claimed to be an ONE or Muay Thai expert. Go back a page or two and you’ll see where I said exactly that. But Rodtang is a Muay Thai fighter. Why wouldn’t I want to use him as an example of someone who’s had a lot of fights.

Not sure why you would want to lol at someone that’s really interested in watching and learning more about all of the disciplines associated with ONE. Everyone’s gotta start somewhere when they become interested in something new. Been watching UFC from the very start but ONE is different.

Never claimed to be an ONE or Muay Thai expert. Go back a page or two and you’ll see where I said exactly that. But Rodtang is a Muay Thai fighter. Why wouldn’t I want to use him as an example of someone who’s had a lot of fights.

Not sure why you would want to lol at someone that’s really interested in watching and learning more about all of the disciplines associated with ONE. Everyone’s gotta start somewhere when they become interested in something new. Been watching UFC from the very start but ONE is different.
The ONE version of Muay Thai is a butchered version of the sport. Likewise, if you want to learn about kickboxing, muay thai world based on watching only ONE, well you are gonna be as annoying as UFC fanboys

The ONE version of Muay Thai is a butchered version of the sport. Likewise, if you want to learn about kickboxing, muay thai world based on watching only ONE, well you are gonna be as annoying as UFC fanboys
Just like the Fertittas and Dana's version of the UFC is a butchered version of the sport.

It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. Including how annoying I might or might not be. :)

Just like the Fertittas and Dana's version of the UFC is a butchered version of the sport.

It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. Including how annoying I might or might not be. :)
Not really comparable, but nice try. It would be like the UFC taking away clinching or cage wrestling

Not really comparable, but nice try. It would be like the UFC taking away clinching or cage wrestling
Yeah, it seems like you have a lot of knowledge about or maybe even actual experience in doing Muay Thai. That's cool. I'm just really enjoying watching ONE right now. And you know what usually happens when someone becomes really interested in a sport. They learn more about it over time.

So tell me, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, what makes the ONE version of Muay Thai different from the traditional version? I'm sure others would like to know too.

Yeah, it seems like you have a lot of knowledge about or maybe even actual experience in doing Muay Thai. That's cool. I'm just really enjoying watching ONE right now. And you know what usually happens when someone becomes really interested in a sport. They learn more about it over time.

So tell me, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, what makes the ONE version of Muay Thai different from the traditional version? I'm sure others would like to know too.
They have eliminated almost all the clinch work, which is a huge part of Muay Thai. Basically it’s now 4oz K-1 Kickboxing. Likewise, the bonuses are 10 times the average purse, so guys will just abandon all of their unique styles to just swang and bang and headhunt so they can get the bonus, makes every bout just look the same

They have eliminated almost all the clinch work, which is a huge part of Muay Thai. Basically it’s now 4oz K-1 Kickboxing. Likewise, the bonuses are 10 times the average purse, so guys will just abandon all of their unique styles to just swang and bang and headhunt so they can get the bonus, makes every bout just look the same
Hmm. That’s pretty interesting. Appreciate the explanation.

Any idea why they eliminated the clinch work? I guess they probably did that to try to produce faster and more exciting fights that would appeal to the average tv fan that doesn’t know as much about the discipline.

Guess it was just something ONE thought they had to do. The huge Asian fan base has traditional values and I don’t think ONE could have gotten away with subverting the art too much.

Hmm. That’s pretty interesting. Appreciate the explanation.

Any idea why they eliminated the clinch work? I guess they probably did that to try to produce faster and more exciting fights that would appeal to the average tv fan that doesn’t know as much about the discipline.

Guess it was just something ONE thought they had to do. The huge Asian fan base has traditional values and I don’t think ONE could have gotten away with subverting the art too much.
Because the main incentive of ONE is just to get meaningless KOs also lol “ONE’s huge Asian fanbase” aka being unknown in most of it

Because the main incentive of ONE is just to get meaningless KOs also lol “ONE’s huge Asian fanbase” aka being unknown in most of it
Hmm yeah. Thanks again for the perspective and education. Will def be looking for these differences the next time I watch Muay Thai fights in ONE and other organizations.

Back