One judge gave Whitaker round 1

“throwing back strong combinations” or you mean throwing a few punches back while he was wobbly to try to keep Costa from killing him.

10 seconds more and Robert is finished, saved by the bell.
Just watch the vid. You will see what I mean.

I did too, Whitaker had recovered from that kick within seconds, yes - before the bell. it did not do enough to negate what Whitaker had done for the rest of that round.
Yeah one kick that did not drop Rob, in which no further damage was done and Rob fought back immediately, does not erase the rest of the round that Rob clearly won.

By the written scoring criteria Costa should get the first round,
but it is well within the standard amount of how much the judges often fuck up the application of the rules to consider a Whittaker R1 within the margin of error.

PRIORITIZED CRITERIA:

Effective Striking/Grappling

“Legal blows that have immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute towards the end of the match with the IMMEDIATE weighing in more heavily than the cumulative impact.

Successful execution of takedowns, submission attempts, reversals and the achievement of advantageous positions that produce immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute to the end of the match, with the IMMEDIATE weighing more heavily than the cumulative impact.”

It shall be noted that a successful takedown is not merely a changing of position, but the establishment of an attack from the use of the takedown. Top and bottom position fighters are assessed more on the impactful/effective result of their actions, more so than their position. This criterion will be the deciding factor in a high majority of decisions when scoring a round.

The next two criteria must be treated as a backup and used ONLY when Effective Striking/Grappling is 100% equal for the round.
Read the criteria. Contribute towards the end of the match. He retreated for less than a second, got his feet and then came back landing the better offence. At no point was that fight close to being stopped in Costa's favour in that sequence, he just landed a big shot. Whittaker got hurt, immediately recovered and finished the round throwing offence back with Costa retreating across the cage and turning away.

That's not the correct interpretation of that scoring criteria. He drops him or he is saved by the bell and needs time to get up that's different.

Would you immediately give the round to Costa of one kick if that was the first strike thrown and then the round played out exactly the same? It's not enough IMO by that criteria.

I am all for damage winning fights, but Mike Bell is probably the correct judge to be honest. Both landed good shots all round with Whittaker getting the better except for one 3 second sequence. Whittaker just wobbled once on a single sequence within that first round but was ahead everywhere else.

No issues with the round going to Costa because the right person won the fight. I would be annoyed if that fight was decided by Costa winning that round.

I gave Rob the first. We was winning the majority of the round by a wide margin in the numbers. One strike shouldn’t steal the round. Now if it kept going and he was almost out, sure.

He got stumbled and immediately recovered and was fighting back.

Read the criteria. Contribute towards the end of the match. He retreated for less than a second, got his feet and then came back landing the better offence. At no point was that fight close to being stopped in Costa's favour in that sequence, he just landed a big shot. Whittaker got hurt, immediately recovered and finished the round throwing offence back with Costa retreating across the cage and turning away.

That's not the correct interpretation of that scoring criteria. He drops him or he is saved by the bell and needs time to get up that's different.

Would you immediately give the round to Costa of one kick if that was the first strike thrown and then the round played out exactly the same? It's not enough IMO by that criteria.

I am all for damage winning fights, but Mike Bell is probably the correct judge to be honest. Both landed good shots all round with Whittaker getting the better except for one 3 second sequence. Whittaker just wobbled once on a single sequence within that first round but was ahead everywhere else.

No issues with the round going to Costa because the right person won the fight. I would be annoyed if that fight was decided by Costa winning that round.

Everyone seems to ignore Costa snapping Rob's head back over and over with his jab.

Costa also had some very heavy kicks.

I would agree that Whittaker was winning round one prior to the headkick, but not by a particularly large margin that would outweigh the clearly most impactful event of the round.

Maybe you could argue

Robs overall body of work R1 outweighed the damage Costa inflicted with the kick.

But not:

Robs overall body of work R1 outweighed the damage Costa inflicted with the kick AND all the jabs, leg and body kicks and other strikes Costa landed R1.

The most damage inflicted in round one, and really the entire fight, was the kick. That's a concussion, as Rob was badly wobbled and doing the baby deer on skates.

The other odd and basically wrong thing being repeated frequently in this thread is "Rob was recovered seconds later."

No the fuck he wasn't.

He was able to regain sufficient balance to stop doing the chicken dance. That is in no sane rational world "recovered"
Rob likely didn't remember the time in between rounds one and two, but credit to his phenomenal conditioning that he looked fresh for round 2 and regained his balance fast enough to avoid additional damage.

There's legitimately no way you can give Whittaker that round without having brain damage of your own. The round was fairly close with Whittaker barely edging it out & then he gets almost finished & saved by the bell.
Closed cased. These judges need to be investigated for corruption or sent out for CT scans.

Had he not recovered and been throwing back strong combinations I would not have. Fact was he recovered and looked strong, and had been better the entire round.

Looking strong? He was throwing weak, reactive punches with no speed because he was still rocked. I’ll give him credit for courage but there was nothing strong about his return fire.

Everyone seems to ignore Costa snapping Rob's head back over and over with his jab.

I would agree that Whittaker was winning round one prior to the headkick, but not by a particularly large margin that would outweigh the clearly most impactful event of the round.

Maybe you could argue

Robs overall body of work R1 outweighed the damage Costa inflicted with the kick.

But not:

Robs overall body of work R1 outweighed the damage Costa inflicted with the kick AND all the jabs, leg and body kicks and other strikes Costa landed R1.

The most damage inflicted in round one, and really the entire fight, was the kick. That's a concussion, as Rob was badly wobbled and doing the baby deer on skates.

The other odd and basically wrong thing being repeated frequently in this thread is "Rob was recovered seconds later."

No the fuck he wasn't.

He was able to regain sufficient balance to stop doing the chicken dance. That is in no sane rational world "recovered"
Rob likely didn't remember the time in between rounds one and two, but credit to his phenomenal conditioning that he looked fresh for round 2 and regained his balance fast enough to avoid additional damage.

You are arguing a completely different point now though in that the striking was 50/50 and that single strike made it 51% in Costa's favour. Your scoring criteria argument doesn't really come into it then as now you are just saying Costa won the round straight out. You then go back on that and agree Whittaker was winning prior to that kick, which then means you do believe that single strike won him that round. You contradicted yourself with those two arguments if we use the scoring criteria. It's either the strike was so big it outweighs the rest of the round or Costa and Rob were so even that strike won the round. What is your position?

I disagree with you saying Rob wasn't recovered. He won the striking exchange immediately after, forced Costa back and landed his own big shots before walking back to his corner perfectly fine and going on to win 2 more rounds. That's the very definition of as recovered as you can be in terms of a fight.

My position is that Whittaker won that round and that a single strike and less than 3 seconds isn't enough to give the round to Costa by the scoring criteria. I can see why it would happen, but I believe it's the wrong call and most in this thread seem to agree.

Looking strong? He was throwing weak, reactive punches with no speed because he was still rocked. I’ll give him credit for courage but there was nothing strong about his return fire.
The video is in the thread earlier. He backs Costa up keeps himself off the cage and Costa is the one retreating as the fight finishes. It was a good shot, but he wasn't in any danger of being finished. We saw the exact same sequence in the Merab vs Henry fight and nobody thinks Henry nearly Merab in the first. It just happened mid fight and not at the end of the round so we saw he was fine for a couple mins.

Maybe you could argue

But not:

No the fuck he wasn't.

100% agreed. Whittaker’s delusional fanbase on here always tries to rewrite narratives after his fights though, so I’m not too surprised. Same group of people who tried to argue Whittaker won the second Adesanya fight.

I was rooting for Whitaker, but man, how can you give him the first round?
Pretty clear round for him apart from the last 10s.
Now the kick was significant damage, for sure, but 1)no knock down (it matters) and 2) Whitaker recovered fast, he was pretty much safe before the bell and not saved by the bell.

Does it beat 4min of domination with reasonnable damage? Tough call.

If there had been a KD or if it was about to be stopped and Whittaker was saved by the bell, yes definitely a round for Costa.

The video is in the thread earlier. He backs Costa up keeps himself off the cage and Costa is the one retreating as the fight finishes. It was a good shot, but he wasn't in any danger of being finished. We saw the exact same sequence in the Merab vs Henry fight and nobody thinks Henry nearly Merab in the first. It just happened mid fight and not at the end of the round so we saw he was fine for a couple mins.

So we can “clearly” interpret how hurt or not Rob was but we can’t “clearly” see that his punches after getting rocked lacked speed/technique?

He was hurt, punching defensively with slowed reflexes and poor technique. He was punching at targets that already closed. He got hit by a grazing left hook after the kick that pushed him back further.

Rob did a good job prior to getting kicked in the head of not looking or performing like that.

Scoring that first round Rob isn’t far fetched but neither is scoring it for Costa.

Last edited:
Weve seen worse scoring.

Back