One of the most profound political discussions I have ever heard (post yours too!)

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Should you care what I find to be informative, thought-provoking, or profound? Well, depending on your opinion of me and of other people's perspectives generally, the answer probably ranges between "lol" and "fuck no."

However, this discussion came up on my YouTube suggestions yesterday and, though I had seen in a few years ago, I was taken aback at how incredibly informative and, yes, profound that it was to me now - especially in a somewhat politically and economically regressive period in which some persons are yearning for a return to the past. This was especially surprising to me both because I had seen it before, and wasn't particularly impressed, and because I have been generally dismissive of anarchist organization and theory as being flabby and indistinct.

So, if you have a spare 20 minutes and want to learn something, or even just want some ammunition for future days to call me a quack or an idiot, I highly suggest that you listen to this discussion.

Additionally, what discussions, lectures, or exchanges would you recommend as being particularly informative or enlightening?

eh i adopt the ugly dogs nobody wants as well. bumping a thread is cakewalk

i feel like this thread needs help, brb

37c.gif

Thanks for the help. 3:45 on a Thursday is low traffic. I hope that you watch, though.

This thread reminds me to get some strange. Call me a pervert, call me crazy....

Geraldos skinhead brawl
Cenk Shapiro

After watching more than half of that Chomsky video, I'm no closer to understanding what would an anarchist society look like. He talks in these abstract terms like "questioning the legitimacy of existing power structures" instead of describing how would it function, how would it be different than what we have today, how to achieve it and how to overcome obstacles in its path.

Only concrete example was about workers self-menagement, but he doesn't address any of concerns one might have with such a system.

I didn't find the video to be insightful.

hynopompic hallucinations, and just not being aware of astral projecting and/or lucid dreaming. once you can start looking at these experiences in a naturalistic framework, you can remove all of the psychological fear programming you've done to yourself and start using these experiences for more... fun stuff. =)

Ya i got half way and he didnt explain anything about how anarchy would work.

@Trotsky

Good legal advice. Fucked me up at times. I owe you a lunch.

No idea what this means, by the way.

After watching more than half of that Chomsky video, I'm no closer to understanding what would an anarchist society look like. He talks in these abstract terms like "questioning the legitimacy of existing power structures" instead of describing how would it function, how would it be different than what we have today, how to achieve it and how to overcome obstacles in its path.

Only concrete example was about workers self-menagement, but he doesn't address any of concerns one might have with such a system.

I didn't find the video to be insightful.

He didn't begin by describing what an anarchist society would look like. He was explaining the anarchist approach to social organization.

However, he did later outline the underpinnings of anarchist economic organization, and analogized them as shooting off from the Lincoln-era Republicans' platform against wage labor and toward worker ownership.

Decent vid. I was familiar with all that, but it was good anyway. Made it most of the way through.

Maybe I'm too cynical or I don't watch enough, but I can't think of any political discussions I would consider profound. Lots of books, though.

Just being friendly. As a lawyer you should focus on your bedside manners. Unless you just count beans all day. That would suck.

I am still lost.

Also, bedside manner is doctors, not attorneys. And counting beans is.....accountant? Bean farmer? Idk.

Decent vid. I was familiar with all that, but it was good anyway. Made it most of the way through.

Maybe I'm too cynical or I don't watch enough, but I can't think of any political discussions I would consider profound. Lots of books, though.

Because of how many thousands of pages I read during the week, and the subsequent ocular strain, I find myself watching far more panels and lectures nowadays and reading books less and less.

As you can probably tell, I have really been cycling back through a lot of Chomsky's lectures, because I think he is (well, in obvious addition to being brilliant) incredibly pedagogical and deliberate. And he's also dry, so I am able to listen for a very long time without becoming grated like I would with most of his contemporaries.

No idea what this means, by the way.

He didn't begin by describing what an anarchist society would look like. He was explaining the anarchist approach to social organization.

However, he did later outline the underpinnings of anarchist economic organization, and analogized them as shooting off from the Lincoln-era Republicans' platform against wage labor and toward worker ownership.

Sure, and his explanation is vague and didn't get me any closer to understanding anarchism. I don't know which hierarchies are deemed unacceptable. Why are they unacceptable? Is there gonna be a state? Who is gonna start and fund businesses that workers are going to own and manage? How is the transition to worker ownership going to function? Are people going to lose their private property? Who is going to enforce this change?

This video just wasn't informative for me.

Back