One thing the Khamzat/Holland fight showed us…

PlasticFishBowl

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Is that these “top wrestlers” at 185 like Brunson and Vettori really aren’t that good.

I think we had suspected this since they struggled so heavily with Izzy, but it was still a bit jarring to see how Holland survived 25 minutes with both of them while he barely survived 2 minutes with Khamzat (and about half of that time was spent getting darce’d).

Looks to me, from this fight, like Khamzat would probably absolutely rag doll and sub the 185 wrestlers within a round or 2, if he is even close to them in weight. He seems a full 2 levels above them in skill and athleticism.

To be fair, Holland also took the fight with less than a 24 hr notice. But yeah.. not a good look for that division.

i want to see Khamzat move up now tbh. Holland can be dangerous and he was absolutely demolished.

Reactions: G10
Maybe true, but by the same token, none of these guys are running into a fight like an axe murder and putting that type of energy into immediately trying to finish the fight. He took a risk going balls to the wall like that, no one is going to fight like him.

Well Khamzat was closer to a MW then a ww. I think Withtaker is a bad match up for Khamzat. Khamzat looks phenomenal in short fights. He looked great but beatable VS Burns. But that's a top 3 guy anyways.

Lean back and enjoy the show. We shall see. Khamzat is definitely a top dog thus far. But let's see him vs the top 5 at MW. He's too big for ww.

Maybe true, but by the same token, none of these guys are running into a fight like an axe murder and putting that type of energy into immediately trying to finish the fight. He took a risk going balls to the wall like that, no one is going to fight like him.

True, DC's comment 'Khamzat's breathing heavily' was pretty stupid, anyone would after storming out the gate like that and putting that much energy into pulling a completely fresh 6'3 guy to the ground 2-3 times at that point.

Khamzat is overrated. He spends a lot of energy to go for broke.
Khamzat went for broke. He got it by a dumb mistake of Kevin Holland.

Khamzat wanted to finish. Vettori wanted to control.
Khamzat has no top control.
He simply uses strength when someone tries to get up. That’s why he spends so much energy.
He is not Khabib or Islam in grappling.

Chimaev is a very elite grappler. I've been saying this for quite some time. People are starting to catch up. It's not that those others are bad wrestlers, but there are levels to this game, and Chimaev is at a completely different level compared to them.

Khamzat has no top control.
He simply uses strength when someone tries to get up. That’s why he spends so much energy.
The fuck are you talking about? He flows like the best of them.
BewitchedAnimatedFairybluebird-size_restricted.gif

Nah, Khamzat is just the only one who goes balls to the wall from the opening bell. Kevin was actually scrambling very well, Khamzat didn't have control until he found the vice grip and locked in the darce, even then he had to work for it. You really think he can do that same shit to Brunson, or Vettori, or Whittaker? LOL

If he did that to Colby for example, he might throw him around for a couple of minutes and look dominant, but what happens in rounds 2,3,4 and 5 if he doesn't get the finish? He would get tortured

Back