Ongoing Team Lloyd Irvin Scandal - Part 6

It looks like TLI have gotten hold of the original LloydIrvinRapeTruth.com url and put in a redirect, as they're still trying to bury the information. Fortunately, the original content is still all over the web, as lots of people copied it to stop it getting buried. E.g., Kintanon has it up here.

It looks like TLI have gotten hold of the original LloydIrvinRapeTruth.com url and put in a redirect, as they're still trying to bury the information. Fortunately, the original content is still all over the web, as lots of people copied it to stop it getting buried. E.g., Kintanon has it up here.

nice necro,

Is TLI still going strong? I cant imagine their kids enrollment is still strong though. Which will put them in trouble.

Thanks for the heads up. Would hate to give that guy any good free press.

nice necro,

Is TLI still going strong? I cant imagine their kids enrollment is still strong though. Which will put them in trouble.
The last 2 tournaments my kids competed in (Naga and good fight) there were a good amount of TLI kids present.

I'm under the impression that the scandal never really reached the mainstream popularity it should have.. or am I wrong?

I'm under the impression that the scandal never really reached the mainstream popularity it should have.. or am I wrong?

Yeah it seems like it never hit the critical mass level. That or people really do suck, and are willing to forgive because he has a successful team.

No, it didn't, and it's honestly not even incredibly well-known even within the confines of the BJJ community.

Lloyd Irvin is a big name in a niche sport and he wasn't convicted of anything, and his students who had rape charges aren't particularly big names and two weren't convicted of anything while one had plead down to misdemeanor convictions of assault (just stating facts). Now, looking further into it reveals a lot of troubling stuff, but it's not really a big enough story based on who is involved.

Had this happened with a pro, college, or Olympic team, it'd be a huge mainstream news story.

If you mean mainstream in general, then yeah, but BJJ stories are never going to be mainstream. Although having said that, there were more mainstream news stories about the Team Lloyd Irvin rape scandal, such as on Deadspin and the Miami New Times.

If you mean mainstream within BJJ circles, then I'd disagree, the TLI rape scandal was very prominent in 2013. Articles about the rapes (historical and recent) everywhere (e.g., Bloody Elbow did a long and well publicised series of articles), lots of people talking about rape at TLI. Major topic where I trained, as well as among my circle of friends.

Unfortunately people have short memories and Lloyd Irvin has been working hard to bury the info about rape, so 'TLI rape' or 'Lloyd Irvin rape' doesn't always bring them up on google as quickly (although checking just now, there is still plenty of information out there high up on search results).

well they have Erberth Santos and Mahmed Aly now plus a few others.

Erberth isn't with them anymore. And last competition I watched Aly wasn't wearing the patch.

I don't know, I left a loosely affiliated gym, years ago, and left the area as well. I would like to know to be honest.

Erberth isn't with them anymore. And last competition I watched Aly wasn't wearing the patch.

They were never "officially" with them, I think he was just giving them money and in turn they wore his patch and trained with him while here in the states. More of a sponsorship I think.

Back