[Opinion] Islam cooks Volk in a rematch

mmainvestigations

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Islam specifically abandoned "father's plan" because the conditions were not right for a wrestling heavy approach, according to his post fight interview with Brett Okamoto. He mentioned not enough time to recover and the long distance to travel for the fight as being two key factors in this decision.

In the rematch, I assume it will be on Islam's home turf. He'll be able to hydrate and make weight on his usual schedule, and will manhandle Volk for five rounds straight.

Discuss.

I'd like to see a rematch down the road too once both of these guys have a few more title defenses.

This didn't feel all that special being Islam's first title defense.

Does he make him dinner like his wife?

Islam won. He will win next time. But Volk is super good so it will always be close. Maybe 1/5 times Volk will win.

But yeah.

I doubt it. Now that Volk knows he can stuff takedowns and get back to his feet easily, I expect him to push the pace harder earlier which will gas Islam out faster.

But if Islam has a smooth weight cut and avoids the issues mentioned in my OP, that kind of thinking will end up with Volk on his back real quick.

I highly doubt Islam will want anything to do with a rematch.

I see it the other way, Islam looked discouraged and beat at the end of the fight, Volk looked fresh. If they fight again I see Volk having the mental edge and the ability to tweak a few small things in the stand up to find success and make Islam 2nd guess himself.

I think the rematch favors Volk as he's a good study.

Islam is great at what he does but aside from the lay and pray along the fence in round 4 which he already knew worked I'm not sure what he could walk in better prepared with.

I highly doubt Islam will want anything to do with a rematch.

He seemed to enjoy the fact that it was a tough fight and not another cake walk.

That said it could be a while before it happens again.

Islam won

But he started to fail at the end but knew if he just held on for 60 more seconds he would win

The real question is whether volk can get him into that cardio danger zone earlier

Not sure he can.

But a rematch is not a sure thing.

Anyway great fight, volk is an animal and islam is pretty bad ass himself

I think the rematch favors Volk as he's a good study.
I think the same, he has way to adapt, especially correct the flaws in striking that Islam exploited.

I see two ways he can do better:
-Use more inside low kicks from orthodox stance. The few he used looked very effective.
-Initiate the clinch, pin Islam against the cage, work for him for a short time, then break and brawl and repeat. He was dominating clearly in clinch exchanges.

Also, the weight cut will never become easier for Islam.

Maybe because of age alone. Volk is almost 35, which is old for these divisions.

But if age isn't a factor, Volk's ability to adapt is unreal, and I think he'd make better adjustments for the second fight than Islam would.

Back