• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Opinions on a handgun.

Only draw if you're going to fire. That said, if you draw and the perp immediately says fuck this and turns to run off, the threat is ended.

Forgot to add, if you're really looking into a 1911 the STI Spartan is hands down the best entry level 1911 currently on the market. It was priced at about $600 which is pretty reasonable for a 1911, but with the gun market explosion after Obama got elected I'm not sure on the price anymore. The SA Mil-Spec is a sexy pistol though.
Maybe it's just me, but I think that Spartan looks like ass. And the Mil-Spec has typically gone for around $650 or so, so the two are very similarly priced. Might as well go with the Springfield.

Also, the SA GI Model goes for $600, and it's almost the exact same gun as the Mil-Spec.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that Spartan looks like ass. And the Mil-Spec has typically gone for around $650 or so, so the two are very similarly priced. Might as well go with the Springfield.

Also, the SA GI Model goes for $600, and it's almost the exact same gun as the Mil-Spec.

Yeah the finish is just basic parkerizing and it isn't very pretty to look at. Other than that, it has awesome sights, a very good trigger, and smooth action. To top it off it's also extremely accurate.

I had a $1300 Kimber before, and I would trade the Kimber for the Spartan in a heartbeat. Unless it was only for looks. The Kimber was very pretty.

1911, no question. Look at Kimber (that's what I got so I'm partial to them), definitely not 600 bucks though..I think their cheapest models run in the 900 dollar range with most of their pistols being $1,000 plus.

Yeah Kimbers ain't cheap man, that and their QC has been going down the hole. If you're going the 1911 route def look at Springers and STIs :)

Yeah alot of people have told me kimber. I do like the springfield just because its pretty basic. But I think ill end up going with the 686. for the price its definetly worth it. Theres a gun store by my work that sells em in 2.5,4 and 6 inch barrels. that or the XD. Fuck I dunno lol

Good man the S&W is nice!

You realize that you're just as fucked (legally) if you use a knife for self defense, right? Canadian law sucks, we can't even use pepper spray against other human beings. We can only defend ourselves with equal force and we must seek escape at the first opportunity.

:icon_neut

I carry a folding knife too, but it's primarily for utility, although it is capable for a defensive situation if its absolutely necessary, I don't planning on using it as such unless it was an absolute life-or-death situation.

Canada fails in this sense =\

Just save yourself some time and go ahead and get a Glock 19.

Also a good choice

Because they have extensive safety features that novices may not be comfortable with

What is your experience shooting these? Find a range and shoot each as much as you can. A 686, 1911 and XDM all function vastly different from each other.

My advice is not to dump a ton of money on your first handgun until you have some experience shooting under your belt. Dropping almost a grand on a Kimber is not smart.

Shoot them all before you decide on what to buy. Then invest in training and range time with whatever you get.

9mm will definitely do the job.

Ha-ha I didn't even see that it was a zombie thread due to posting from my cell.

Straight necromancy.

So what did the op decide on? Anybody in touch with him still?

I think he ended up with a Hi Point master blaster:

Hi-Point-45-Pistol-1024x792.jpg

So, he ended up throwing the gun at someone?

For handguns I only buy:

Glock
Beretta
Colt
Springfield
Sig

Back