Opinions on weapons in the streets

agu0001

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
In a streetfight what are your opinions on weapons, I personally hate them, Im a fighter and like to fight fairly 1 on 1, but these days everyones got a blade. I am strongly opposed to knives, knucks, chains all that other shit even If i get the chance to use them in my favour I would only do so in a life or death situation...what about you guys?

It's normal in street fights nowerdays. Streetfighting is not a sport, you cannot expect to some rules to be followed. I find it stupid to fight on the street anyway. But if you are so stupid to do so, you maybe have to deal with a blade in your chest.

PS: It's an other point why grappling doesn't work on the street, if anything does at all.

They're called street fights for a reason! Anything goes my friend.

Weapons have a place in conventional warfare, it's just a different level of self-preservation. Depending on the social norm I think carrying and using weapons with certain tact and etiquette is perfectly fine. The thing to consider here is there are a lot of people who are not just free-roaming individuals. They have families who depend on them and therefore they must defend themselves with a certain amount of zeal and maximum level of ability to deal with conflict (especially that which may be life-threatening) quickly and with a certain amount of finality. When your life is on the line and you have very short moments to react, there are very few rules or regulations that need be considered IMO.

I despise the use of blades, but have no problem wrapping a bat around someones head if i'm threatened.

None lethal force, if you've got a weapon you must be alot more restrained.

A weapon should only be used in a "lethal force" situation, in my opinion. And that's also the only time you should be "street fighting." Sure it's fine to throw knuckles back and forth with your friends in your backyard but you shouldn't be fighting strangers in the street unless you have no other option. And if that's the case, you certainly don't want to lose because your opponent(s) may want you dead. I urge you to whip out your knife, chain, bat, taser, swat shield to defend yourself and get out of the situation as quickly and safely as possible. It goes without saying that I don't think you should be looking for a fight so you can take out your knife and jig someone up but good. But when it comes to defending your life or the lives of the ones you love, any advantage you can have isn't enough.

I believe in proportional force, responding to a thread with approximately equal force of my own. The court system does also, which is one big reason why I abide by the philosophy.

I don't carry weapons on my person; the whole reason why I have trained MA is so I wouldn't need one or be caught without one. Also, here again we have legal considerations-- if I crack some dudes orbital bone punching him with a knuckle duster, I'd be willing to be that if the issue of the fight comes to trial, the opposing attorney is going to ask why the hell I was carrying around a hunk of metal which serves no other function than to be slipped onto a clenched fist for purposes of beating the right to be out of someone.

I do have a two-handed extendable ASP baton riding in the drivers'-side door of my car. If I find myself motivated to use it, it will be because

1) I'm in a situation where even being behind the wheel of a car, I can't escape
2) I'm confronted by a threat that I do not think I can adequately deal with using only kicks and empty-handed techniques (being 6'3", 225 pounds, and trained means that this would be a pretty dire situation).

Beyond that, you can use all sorts of improvised weapons; anyone who can handle a short staff can go to work with a broom handle, pool cue, or similar item in a pinch. Bar stools work great against some pissed-off guy wielding a knife of busted beer bottle. That thing around your waist that holds your pants up (assuming you wear one...I almost always do) can be rapidly deployed as a ranged weapon (a metal belt buckle moving at high speed will gouge skin off your head) or, wrapped around both hands, a good way to block attacks and tie up the hand of an opponent that has a weapon in it to the point where he can be submitted.

Then there's yet another time-tested dirty trick for streetfighting: a roll of coins in your pocket. A roll of nickels is nothing but legal tender if a cop sees you with it; clenched inside your strong hand for punching, it's the best $2 you'll spend all year.

I personally carry a firearm on my person at all times.

I personally carry a firearm on my person most of the time (I do occasisonally leave the house in a hurry and forget it). I have a concealed weapon permit so it is perfectly legal. I would only pull it out if I thought my life was in danger. The rule I try to follow is to only pull it out if the person threatening me has a weapon, but I did break this rule once when I was surrounded by four other men. I never pointed it at them though--pulling it out and cocking it at my side was enough to make them leave.

I never thought people used knives that often in my area until I started looking for them. Lots of people that you wouldn't expect have folding knives tucked in their pockets. It's a scary thought that pretty much anyone could stab you if you were to get in a fight with them.

However, I think most people are smart enough not to stab someone unless they really needed to. After all, they'll get hit with jailtime / electric chair otherwise.

I also have my concealed weapons permit and would never pull my gun unless it was absolutly neccessary.
On the Knife thing I work as a bouncer and I have seen more blades get detected than guns with our metal detector and it is scary to think that all those would be in the club. The most we have ever had hit on in one night is slightly over 30 and that was on Latino Fever Salsa night with over 1500 people in th door coulda been a bad night lol.
the scary thing about street fighting is you never fucking know what is going to happen so it is best avoided. I had a friend get stabbed with a Hypodermic needle when a dopehead tried to rob him the needle stab didnt hurt him but the anxiety of possibly having the HIV or hepatis sure did.

agu0001 said:
In a streetfight what are your opinions on weapons, I personally hate them, Im a fighter and like to fight fairly 1 on 1,

Not to single you out but you touch on an interesting point... the definition of 'street fight'. On one hand I agree with you. I grew up in a cushy suburb and a 'street fight' was pretty much your 'behind the bike rack at 3pm' scenario. Back then (in that area) even your standard "step outside" was pretty much a dual with your fists.

That's pretty much your standard "mutual combat" streetfight. You can't really enforce any proper rules but I hear where you're coming from. There's the whole other type of streetfight though where you are an unwiling participant being assaulted.

Some guy starts shoving you around for money, drunk guy and his three buddies decide to pick on you in a dark parking lot, random lunatic takes a swing at you, etc. You get the idea. The rules change pretty fast there. You're no longer looking to settle a difference of opinion, but rather get home safely.

I pretty much agree with the guy (and the law) who mentioned escalating force in these scenarios.

Some random thoughts on points raised earlier in the thread:

A bat upside the head is just as lethal, if not more so, than a knife at times.

Carrying a SD baton in the car door can be asking for trouble. Anytime someone can make a case for you having a 'combat mindset' you are in for potential legal trouble.

Carrying a knife for self defense is illegal and can get you arrested and/or in a great deal more trouble if deployed. However, carrying a knife as a tool (i.e. for use cutting boxes, rope, packages, etc.) that you use in the emergency of being threatened is a different legal scenario.

The same scenario goes for the bat actually. If a cop pulls you over and asks why there is a bat under your seat and you reply "in case some nut assaults me" you can be in for a lot of trouble. If you reply "Sometimes I like to stop at the batting cages or pick up a game of softball" you're generally in the clear.

Generally, using something handy for a weapon when pushed is much more acceptable than carrying something for use as a weapon "just in case".

Just some random thoughts to contribute.

note: I am not a lawyer and laws vary by area.

KOU In3 said:
Carrying a SD baton in the car door can be asking for trouble. Anytime someone can make a case for you having a 'combat mindset' you are in for potential legal trouble.

Perhaps. I checked with a couple cops, including a 32-year Knoxville PD veteran who recently retired to become the chair of my schools' new Crimminal Justice program, and the gist I get is that while it may be technically illegal, like so many things it all comes down to the discretion of the officer on the scene.

To whit: I was told if I'm in deep shit and *must* defend myself, I'm probably okay. If I act like an idiot and pull a road-rage and start waving it around at people, I'm probably going to jail.

And like I said: if I've got that bad boy extended and am putting a hurt on someone with it, it'll be under the sort of circumstances where I'll gladly take my chances with the cops later if it comes to that.

But not bad advice all the same, dude.

There are too many bad things that can happen in a street fight. Criminal & civil repercussions for starters. Even if you "win" the fight you could still wind up on the short end. Nothing sucks worse than having a shit load of medical bills to pay for because you lost your cool with some asshole. You also have to consider the possibility of getting injured yourself. Breaking a hand & missing work is pretty shitty as well. As for the criminal side of things, that can range from misdemeanor battery to murder. A couple of years ago I saw a trial on CourtTV of an old man who hit another old man once in the head & killed him. Fighting makes you a man until you're somebody's bitch in prison. These are all scenarios of what can happen in a "fair" fight with no weapons.

I will say this though. I have a wife & 2 kids & will use whatever force necessary to make sure I'm around for them. If that means I have to shoot, cut with a knife, hit with a shovel or stab with an ink pen someone who is attacking me, so be it. I have 1 rule & that's at the end of the day, I go home.

King Kabuki said:
Weapons have a place in conventional warfare, it's just a different level of self-preservation. Depending on the social norm I think carrying and using weapons with certain tact and etiquette is perfectly fine. The thing to consider here is there are a lot of people who are not just free-roaming individuals. They have families who depend on them and therefore they must defend themselves with a certain amount of zeal and maximum level of ability to deal with conflict (especially that which may be life-threatening) quickly and with a certain amount of finality. When your life is on the line and you have very short moments to react, there are very few rules or regulations that need be considered IMO.

Very cool post.

knives are more dangerous than guns in the sense that anyone can grab one and kill you without knowing shit about it's specific "training," also they're cheaper and VERY easy to get ahold of in comparison to pistols

for example a man can grab a knife and kill you just as easily as a "non-combat trained" disgruntled wife could stab you and open up your neck without any real lessons or experience at all -

all they had to do was grab a knife ..... it's almost an instinct on how to use a knife for most people (note: never argue with your girl in the kitchen)

guns are harder to use in the sense that if you never handled one, chances are that you might not figure out the safety, the insertion of ammuntion, the reloading process, the jamming, the recoil, the aiming (not sideways) and even having the space to pull out and use it properly

I'll carry on me whatever feels right, but usually these days I dont look for trouble or even care about that. I either fight my way out or I dont, I think Ill be okay. I dont need legal problems by stabbing people up or shooting up a place. I dont even look for that kind of shit to get involved in

I still got a glock by my bed and also in my car. I dont want to have to carry it around since I dont have a permit and because of so, for special occasions I'm looking into a nice knife to carry around. for years I had a metal penknife or a switchblade Id have sometimes, but that's just for shanking and not really for cutting

I think I'd want something practical and easy to carry by my belt every now and then

I work as a plumber in alot of projects or rough areas. At all times there are pipe wrenches, hammers and a variety of tools that can be implemented as weapons if a situation arose. Better not to have to explaine why you were carring a weapon. Now everyone is not a construction worker with a tool box in the car, but most cars come with a neat little jack and a tire iron. The tire iron can be useful. A police officer told me once if you are going to have a bat in the vehicle, throw in a glove and ball for legitemacy.

As far as guns go.... I thing they are great for home protection ( provided that kids cant get to them etc... and you know how to use it. ) I like a pistol grip shotgun, but I keep a Glock too. I decided against buying a subcompact easilly concealbale gun because I think I would be more likely to carry. I have been in situations where I needed to carry and it is such a relief when it is no longer neccasary and the threat subsides. The reason I personally do not like to carry is I have been able to escape situations without using a firearm and it's presense may make me more likely to use it.

People may say better to be prepared and not need it..... then to need it and be unprepared. I agree with that, but Many things can be used as weapons. When confronted with any weapon equal or better the weapon..... rocks, fence posts, salt shakers, fork, barstool.... whatever. I realize a gun or knife are considered more lethal than the things I just listed....

this is just my philosophy to protect myself from an assailant and the legal system

I carry Brass Knuckles around with me alot of times, ever since I got jumped by 8 black people. I'd pull them out and use them, if I ever get into another fight. As long as the fight is 1on1 or even 2on1 I'm sure i have a pretty good chance with my BJJ and Muay thai training against random street fighters.

Greasemonk said:
I carry Brass Knuckles around with me alot of times, ever since I got jumped by 8 black people. I'd pull them out and use them, if I ever get into another fight. As long as the fight is 1on1 or even 2on1 I'm sure i have a pretty good chance with my BJJ and Muay thai training against random street fighters.

Not sure if you realize it but brass knuckles are going to land you in a lot more legal trouble than a lot of more effective weapons. Brass knuckles are outright illegal to possess and are considered to have no other purpose than criminal ones.

Knives, mace, bats, etc. are all going to be more effective and less felonious if you are caught with them or even caught using them. Just something to think about.

Back