Social Outrage over Maine lavishing $34M on 'Taj Mahal' apartments for asylum seekers and welcoming 75,000 newcomers this decade while leaving veterans and h

Listen dope. The 12 billion is the estimated cost to nyc... not the federal government. These people are not citizens. They at best are paying sales tax on consumer goods. Rent is not taxed. Groceries are not taxed.

Take 100k "migrants". About 1/3 are probably children. So now we have 70k making 50k$ in your scenario. At best they are each spending 5k$ a year on items that have sales tax. At 8% that's 400$ per year. Multiply that by 70k and you get 28 million....times 3 years is 84 million.

So 84 million in sales tax vs 12 billion in the same time period in costs.
lol, do illegal immigrants get to make 50k a year or more?
seem outrageously optimistic.
a lot of americans don't make that.

Median Salary in NY is like 70k+

It's possible tbh. People in NY make a lot more but their cost of living is also higher.

So immigrants aren't paying payroll tax in your world? I'm not sure you understand how taxation works.

Nor do you seem to understand how spending drives the economy or people producing goods and services for the country is very, very good. Particularly at a time when we have rather nasty labor shortages.

Sure if they work on the books which most don't. Even if they all did it wouldn't make a dent in the numbers we're talking here. There are so many other problems, dangers, and unintended consequences of this immigration debacle but I just thought I'd pin you down on one aspect of the nonsense you're spewing.

Nah of course not. I was just being generous with that dopes numbers because it could be 4x that and he'd still be wrong. Most work for daily cash...100 to 150 a day depending on skill

If we are wasting/giving billions to genocide, wars, invasions, authoritarian regimes and non democratic forces around the world why not spend some mere millions closer to home too?

I want the process to be expedited because most will be rejected anyway.
Then lobby Congress to hire more judges, translators, etc. This has been a problem for decades.
It's not all federally reimbursed. Our mayor has been begging for more money because the money received has fallen far short. City has been paying the difference.
Who do you think gives the state the money that he's asking for? He's asking for money to cover future costs.
Depart of Homeless services or Homeland security. Don't know what DHS you're talking about.
Latter....we're talking feds here.

Sure if they work on the books which most don't. Even if they all did it wouldn't make a dent in the numbers we're talking here.
Working under the table is kind of frowned upon in the asylum process. They are incentivized to work normal jobs.

If migrants aren't working, how are they getting money to survive during the rather long wait for asylum review? The initial housing support is temporary.
Nah of course not. I was just being generous with that dopes numbers because it could be 4x that and he'd still be wrong. Most work for daily cash...100 to 150 a day depending on skill
I'm going off the assumption that migrants get asylum and become good ol American citizens. Hence 30 years...it doesn't take that long to review cases.

This is the ugly side of politics. Where people get used and abused so some politician somewhere else can make a speech.

If you suddenly dump the asylum seekers in states that aren't normal recipients of them then the states have to do something. I know that the simple minded think that all of the money comes out of the same pot but it doesn't.

The asylum seekers are a federal problem so the money for them is going to ultimately come out of the federal immigration coffers. Essentially, the states pay for the housing out of emergency funds and then DHS or another federal agency reimburses them for it. Why? Because the asylum seekers have to be housed while they wait for their status hearings.

Vets and the homeless are not federal problems so the money for them is going to come from what Maine actually has. And that, unfortunately, tends to be less than what the fed is setting aside.

This is ugly politics because the people pushing the "You're helping them over Americans" narrative are taking advantage of how little Americans understand about how this type of issue gets funded. Americans are thinking their states just aren't ponying up the cash for Americans and spending it on refugees when this is actually funded through federal emergency programs but implemented via the states.

Divisive stuff.

manipulative democrat bootlicker gobbledygook

Working under the table is kind of frowned upon in the asylum process. They are incentivized to work normal jobs.

If migrants aren't working, how are they getting money to survive during the rather long wait for asylum review? The initial housing support is temporary.

I'm going off the assumption that migrants get asylum and become good ol American citizens. Hence 30 years...it doesn't take that long to review cases.

You make bold assertions and have nothing to back it up.

"Something is kinda frowned upon.."

"I'm going off the assumption"...

You can be for the current flood of illegals pouring across our border...you can be for cities and states converting hotels, schools, and other facilities into permanent migrant shelters, with money they don't have. Just don't try to argue facts to convince others.

Back