Overeem doesn't see Alex Pereira as a champion

Do you see Pereira as a real champ or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He doesn't seem to understand how championship works. Sure... someone will beat him. Someone already has. But every champ eventually gets beat. That doesn't invalidate the belt they won.

It would make more sense if he came from the perspective of "you're not really champ till you defend the belt" which I've heard before, but even that's bullshit.

I've never heard anyone claim you're not a real champ unless you're well rounded or if someone might "figure you out" someday. In Overeems defense though... he gets hit in the head a lot, so not everything he says is going to be gold.

Reem is just speaking truth. Not sure why people are getting so offended. As soon as Alex faces a wrestler, he's toast. Izzy took him down and controlled him for 4 minutes before being saved by the end of the round. Jiri even managed to take him down.

He's only had favorable matchups, and got lucky that Jan was gassed very early due to the high alltitude.

Last edited:
Reem is just speaking truth. Not sure why people are getting so offended. As soon as Alex faces a wrestler, he's toast. I mean Izzy took him down and controlled him for 4 minutes before being saved by the end of the round. Jiri even managed to take him down.

He's only had favorable matchups, and got lucky that Jan was gassed very early due to the high alltitude.
Jan had the 4th best takedown % in UFC LHW history before their fight.

i see him as the champion since his victories in title fights were legit against legit opponent ( seeing jiri vacated the title and never lost it in the first place) but there is no denying that he got an esay road and favorable match up to get there just because his rivality with adesanya was a selling point
Agreed, but I have no problem with it given he was the only interesting fight for Adesanya at the time. And it gave us two incredible title fights. You have to judge each fighters based on Ws and Ls.

He never had to face even semi-decent wrestlers like Brunson in a 3 round fight.

If he stays champ at LHW for a bit he'll eventually have to fight some guys with good ground games/wrestling. Jan almost beat him.

Jan had the 4th best takedown % in UFC LHW history before their fight.
He usually only shoots against guys with subpar TDD, and Adesanya.

Jan would've won with the old rules where a fighter can just lay and pray to control, but with the new rules you need to actively be going for the finish to score points, and Jan didn't have the energy in the final 2 rounds to do this because of the altitude.

Alex has basically won 2 belts because of favorable matchmaking.

Last edited:
He usually only shoots against guys with subpar TDD.

Jan would've won with the old rules where a fighter can just lay and pray to control, but with the new rules you need to actively be going for the finish to score points, and Jan didn't have the energy in the final 2 rounds to do this because of the altitude.

Alex has basically won 2 belts because of favorable matchmaking.
Alex was fighting in diff altitude?

Alex was fighting in diff altitude?
Alex arrived earlier to acclimate, but regardless, while on top Jan didn't have the energy to do anything, something he wouldn't have a problem with if he was better acclimated. See his fight against Adesanya for reference.

Alex has had more favorable matchmaking than even McGregor had on his run to becoming double champ, and Overeem can see this.

Last edited:
Who gives a fuck about Overeem. Dude was a massive steroid abuser throughout the vast majority of his career, not known for his intellect.

Unnecessarily salty

Perhaps there is context missed.

Imagine having none of that skill and having something to say about Overeem.

Travis and Bigfoot smoke you every day of the week, but you're doing exactly what Overeem did, just with far less credentialing to back it up.

Overeem failing a PEDS test and getting knocked out repeatedly to middling talent isn't even an opinion, its linear history as it happened.

Some of you bedroom karate incels keep this place lively I tell you!

Reem is just speaking truth. Not sure why people are getting so offended. As soon as Alex faces a wrestler, he's toast. I mean Izzy took him down and controlled him for 4 minutes before being saved by the end of the round. Jiri even managed to take him down.

That might be true, and it may play out exact like that.

But what is true, is Alex is the current LHW UFC Champion, no matter what imaginary expectations or qualifications you guys want to apply.

Reactions: lsa
I can't say I agree with Reem here. Yes Alex isn't a submission wizard or a D1 wrestler but his TDD and sub defense is getting better with every fight thanks to Glover. The Alex that fought in the prelims a couple of years ago, heck even the Alex that fought Izzy when he won the title, he would have most likely gotten taken down and subbed by Jiri or taken down and held there by Jan for 3 rounds. He would not be getting up and defending sub attempts like he did in those 2 fights. By the time Alex crosses paths with a guy like Ank I seriously think Ank is going to have a hard time getting him down.

Well, it's true he got fast tracked and so far hasn't had his wrestling tested much (some would say on purpose). And it's also true he's been a wrecking ball so far.

Aaand it's also true that sherdoggers can find truth in a fighters statements, and still choose to nitpick the shit outta said statements. Just because they can.

Last edited:
That might be true, and it may play out exact like that.

But what is true, is Alex is the current LHW UFC Champion, no matter what imaginary expectations or qualifications you guys want to apply.
The only thing imaginary is people pretending he doesn't have bad TDD like a Condit, Holland ect, and hasn't been gifted favorable matchups to become "champion".

Overeem only sees complete fighters as true champs, so who are we to argue?

Back