"Overweight" athletics (why America is obsessed with the waistline even in combat sports)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
I got the idea for this thread because after I posted a video of myself in the boxing forum it became abundantly clear to me that most responders were more interested in my weight than my message

In a typical juvenile tirade people that were upset about what I had said earlier focused exclusively on my current physical conditioning in an attempt to discredit or disqualify my message

As if an athlete or coach's current physical condition has anything to do with their knowledge or message

so I have a theory...basically in our consumer culture world so many TV Watchers are bombarded with sales tactics that they wind up with a mixed up confused View

Likely they're sitting there munching away on junk food watching a sitcom while they are bombarded with get fit ads thus they somehow pervertedly construe body fat percentage with knowledge and and an athlete's ability to perform because the people they see on TV are cherry-picked models designed to sell them the latest cockamamie Gadget or craze while they personally don't have any experience whatsoever in Athletics

The sad fact is that if you don't look the part it's hard for people to accept that you know what you're talking about

Throughout my fight career I competed as light as 205 lb and as heavy as 330 lbs
I am currently 6' 289lbs at 30% body fat

Here's the videos that started the downward spiral on my boxing thread

As a record-breaking wrestling coach and one of the founding fathers of American MMA I have had thousands of athlete's walk through my door in wildly varying conditions and I can say without a doubt that your body fat percentage has literally nothing to do with your knowledge and athletic performance

There are hundreds of athletes that compete every day that are technically overweight yet maintain fantastic performance in both cardio and Technical criterias

I remember being turned down for the Marine Corps right out of high school because I was some 70 lb over their minimum BMI criteria at 5' 10" 250lbs
even tho I was around 20% body fat and could wrestle for hours the Marine Corps didn't care because I was technically way over there minimum of 180 lb @ 5'10"

Remember... this man was some 50 lb overweight when he won mr. Olympia in 1987 via America's current BMI criteria

1583432934793.jpg

Damn. You went way too far this time and now we know you're not actually being serious.

Start a new account and try again.

That was a solid 40s of muay thai work there champ!

It's a honor to be in a thread with one of MMAs founding fathers!

Let's go champ!!

After everyone figures out Gavin's shtick he be like....

giphy.gif

As if an athlete or coach's current physical condition has anything to do with their knowledge or message

But the thesis of your thread about training HWs is that the physicality of coaches is essential.

But the thesis of your thread about training HWs is that the physicality of coaches is essential.

I understand your confusion

Its important for a heavyweight athlete to have a coach who was a heavyweight competitor himself

Yet

A coach who gains weight after their compeditive run does not forget the lessons they learned

That help?

Dont you remeber the max kellerman SHUT DOWN i put on that
thread

You may need a review...

I'm just amazed you've grown an inch since the other thread.

LOL

You seem like the kinda guy thats worried about an inch or 2

LOL

After everyone figures out Gavin's shtick he be like....

giphy.gif

Dont warn them

O well

I will always have u to kick around

Nice cartoon

It all makes sense now

That was a solid 40s of muay thai work there champ!

It's a honor to be in a thread with one of MMAs founding fathers!

Let's go champ!!

So what do you look for in a coach

Besides the 6 pack?

Damn. You went way too far this time and now we know you're not actually being serious.

Start a new account and try again.

Its confusing i know

Its all about how you respect people who have a certain appearance

As if you are living vicariously

"There are hundreds of athletes that compete every day that are technically overweight yet maintain fantastic performance in both cardio and Technical criterias''.......True.....Your not one of them tho. Fkin LOL ......Arnold..Really?

"There are hundreds of athletes that compete every day that are technically overweight yet maintain fantastic performance in both cardio and Technical criterias''.......True.....Your not one of them tho. Fkin LOL ......Arnold..Really?

What makes you think i have a cardio problem?

Do you know what BMI is?

I got the idea for this thread because after I posted a video of myself in the boxing forum it became abundantly clear to me that most responders were more interested in my weight than my message

In a typical juvenile tirade people that were upset about what I had said earlier focused exclusively on my current physical conditioning in an attempt to discredit or disqualify my message

so I have a theory...basically in our consumer culture world so many TV Watchers are bombarded with sales tactics that they wind up with a mixed up confused View

Likely they're sitting there munching away on junk food watching a sitcom while they are bombarded with get fit ads thus they somehow pervertedly construe body fat percentage with knowledge and and an athlete's ability to perform because the people they see on TV are cherry-picked models designed to sell them the latest cockamamie Gadget or craze while they personally don't have any experience whatsoever in Athletics

The sad fact is that if you don't look the part it's hard for people to accept that you know what you're talking about

Throughout my fight career I competed as light as 205 lb and as heavy as 330 lbs
I am currently 6' 289lbs at 30% body fat

Here's the videos that started the downward spiral on my boxing thread

As a record-breaking wrestling coach and one of the founding fathers of American MMA I have had thousands of athlete's walk through my door in wildly varying conditions and I can say without a doubt that your body fat percentage has literally nothing to do with your knowledge and athletic performance

There are hundreds of athletes that compete every day that are technically overweight yet maintain fantastic performance in both cardio and Technical criterias

I remember being turned down for the Marine Corps right out of high school because I was some 70 lb over their minimum BMI criteria at 5' 10" 250lbs
even tho I was around 20% body fat and could wrestle for hours the Marine Corps didn't care because I was technically way over there minimum of 180 lb @ 5'10"

Remember... this man was some 50 lb overweight when he won mr. Olympia in 1987 via America's current BMI criteria

View attachment 740817

I understand the content of your original post, but I don't understand why you're asserting it.

What do you want other users of this forum to do about it? Agree? Disagree? Ask for elaboration? Or what?

I understand the content of your original post, but I don't understand why you're asserting it.

What do you want other users of this forum to do about it? Agree? Disagree? Ask for elaboration? Or what?

I would like to know why you respect someone with a 6 pack and pretty ears

Cardio/LackTherof ...Age x Height x Weight x Fat%... just a hunch. BMI is no secret. I know that adding a couple inches to your height helps.

So what do you look for in a coach

Besides the 6 pack?

Its confusing i know

Its all about how you respect people who have a certain appearance

As if you are living vicariously
You really shouldn't be so defensive

We weren't interested in your message cause it was clear that you thought you knew more than you did.

I would like to know why you respect someone with a 6 pack and pretty ears

I try to give everyone the minimum respect required by humanity. Anything beyond that depends on the character and actions of the individual.

I certainly don't give additional respect to people with six packs, just because they have six packs. And I don't know what you mean by "pretty ears".

In any event, your response to me commits the loaded question fallacy.

This and your other thread seem to serve no useful purpose for anyone, except maybe you. I'm not sure what that idiosyncratic purpose is, though.

Does posting this kind of stuff make you feel better about where you've got to in life? Or is it just mundane stress relief? Or what? Prima facie, it's all absurd.

I try to give everyone the minimum respect required by humanity. Anything beyond that depends on the character and actions of the individual.

I certainly don't give additional respect to people with six packs, just because they have six packs. And I don't know what you mean by "pretty ears".

In any event, your response to me commits the loaded question fallacy.

This and your other thread seem to serve no useful purpose for anyone, except maybe you. I'm not sure what that idiosyncratic purpose is, though.

Does posting this kind of stuff make you feel better about where you've got to in life? Or is it just mundane stress relief? Or what? Prima facie, it's all absurd.

He's mad about pretty ears because I don't have cauliflower ears after 17 years competing in boxing and Muay Thai. Which came about after he said I had never fought and bla bla, and he just goal posted after I posted up fight pictures and weigh in pics. He's a complete flop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back