Paleolithic Diet/Low Carb headache?

The Alpha Male

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After educating myself about the Paleo Diet, i started the diet about 4 days ago. For 4 days, it went fine. i had the cravings but nothing too serious. i thought it was more psychological than anything. Last night, as I tried to go to sleep, I started getting a bad headache. i tried to sleep through it but it was very hard.

So i got up and ate some strawberries since they're low in sugar, thinking it might have been cravings again. Ate about a handful of them and waited about 10 minutes, hoping that the headache would disappear. nope.

I caved in. i went to the nearest store and binged on some carbs. And guess what? The headache went away after about 15 minutes.

Has anybody gotten headaches as they start a diet like this? i am going to once again start the diet but I want to know what exactly causing the headache? Is it really a lack of carbohydrates or is it that im dropping significant amounts of water through training? or is it a lack of a specific vitamin or nutrient?

low carb is not the best for everybody, find what works best for you and stick with it.

If you cant do a real low carb, add a few more carbs in until you feel ok with it and try that for a while and see what results you are getting.

it's probably you going into ketosis. it isn't as bad and you get used to it after a while

Eat some rice...you know you wanna!!

tumblr_licimuNkrU1qzzxaqo1_400.jpg

Any eating plan that causes you to have headaches constantly probably ins't a very good plan.

Any eating plan that causes you to have headaches constantly probably ins't a very good plan.

They're not constant.

It's rough the first time you cut carbs, but you only have to go through it once. Your body probably hasn't needed to depend on ketosis for its energy needs since you were a baby, and the readjustment takes time. Stick it out and when it passes in a few days, you'll suddenly feel amazing.

Balance you meals with low GI carbs, good fats and lean proteins and all will be well.

Why are you cutting out carbs? You can do Paleo with carbs.

When I transitioned to LC, increasing fat and water intake helped significantly with the headaches and lethargy.

Back