Scerpi

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
It’s not a great game

- Steals from Ark, a little from BOTW and of course Pokémon
- It’s janky, awkward and buggy
- Graphics on par with pre 2010… lol

But it’s… just fun. Maybe not your cup of tea, but….

And Pokémon Fans (which my kids are) should be irate. Because this team basically shit out a game better than the multitude of rehashed Pokemen sequels that haven’t really changed in 20 years.

Anyway, I’ve been enjoying watching my girls play this goofy and cute game. Far better that seeing them play Pokémon.

I can’t see Nintendo not suing them into oblivion. But hopefully Pandora’s box is open about what Pokémon could have been

I can’t see Nintendo not suing them into oblivion.

They already did to mod makers.

Personally i never found the appeal of pokemon. Valheim was my first and last game in the survival/building/exploration genre type. Experiencing the gameplay loop once was enough for me.

It’s not a great game

- Steals from Ark, a little from BOTW and of course Pokémon
- It’s janky, awkward and buggy
- Graphics on par with pre 2010… lol

But it’s… just fun. Maybe not your cup of tea, but….

And Pokémon Fans (which my kids are) should be irate. Because this team basically shit out a game better than the multitude of rehashed Pokemen sequels that haven’t really changed in 20 years.

Anyway, I’ve been enjoying watching my girls play this goofy and cute game. Far better that seeing them play Pokémon.

I can’t see Nintendo not suing them into oblivion. But hopefully Pandora’s box is open about what Pokémon could have been
Game is definitely not built for me. I dislike pokemon and survival games, but I will say it was fun to watch for a few days.

There is nothing to sue over. Nintendo (and Gamefreak) do not hold the copyright on creature collector games. The only thing the can and have sued over is if people use their assets or images in game. So the modders that put actual pokemon in, got sued. Pokemon is not even the first creature collector/battler out there. Monster Rancher was iirc.

They already did to mod makers.

Personally i never found the appeal of pokemon. Valheim was my first and last game in the survival/building/exploration genre type. Experiencing the gameplay loop once was enough for me.

Fair enough. I’m not a Pokémon fan either. My girls are.

They’re teens now and realizing that Nintendo seems to take advantage of their rabid customers.

After playing this a bit, one do them said

“I think Nintendo hates their fans”

Lol.

BOTW was great… then they release the next Zelda game. And it’s basically identical with some changes. Lol…

As for this game, it’s barely a survival game. Within a short period, you have your little farm of creatures doing all the work automated for you. It’s silly fun

Game is definitely not built for me. I dislike pokemon and survival games, but I will say it was fun to watch for a few days.

There is nothing to sue over. Nintendo (and Gamefreak) do not hold the copyright on creature collector games. The only thing the can and have sued over is if people use their assets or images in game. So the modders that put actual pokemon in, got sued. Pokemon is not even the first creature collector/battler out there. Monster Rancher was iirc.

Dude… some of the creatures in the game are extremely similar.

They’re like Chinese knock offs of Pokémon.

Dude… some of the creatures in the game are extremely similar.

They’re like Chinese knock offs of Pokémon.
Yeah, but I don't think it's all that unique to this game. It's not the first shameless Pokemon clone. This one's just getting attention because it blew up.

Yeah, but I don't think it's all that unique to this game. It's not the first shameless Pokemon clone. This one's just getting attention because it blew up.

Interesting… I’ve had an Xbox of one kind or another since 2002. Never seen a game like this releaesed on Xbox

I would have never bought it, but it was free on Xbox Game Pass. So we tried after hearing about it.

This wasn’t some indie release on Steam only.

This is one of those games that will die within a month. All these survival games blow up like crazy due to fomo and then they die so quickly because it becomes obvious the quality isn’t there. People are already moving on as I’m not seeing it reach 100k players much anymore.

This is one of those games that will die within a month. All these survival games blow up like crazy due to fomo and then they die so quickly because it becomes obvious the quality isn’t there. People are already moving on as I’m not seeing it reach 100k players much anymore.

This is true. PC players love survival games. Valheim I remember blew up like this as well.

Interesting… I’ve had an Xbox of one kind or another since 2002. Never seen a game like this releaesed on Xbox

I would have never bought it, but it was free on Xbox Game Pass. So we tried after hearing about it.

This wasn’t some indie release on Steam only.
Cassette Beasts, Monster Sanctuary, Monster Kingdom..., hell, Ni No Kuni had a very Pokemon-like monster collecting system.

Granted, this game might be taking more liberties with the visual design of some of the creatures, but Pokemon doesn't have a monopoly on creature collection games. They've been out there for while, and they're all structured on the core concept of Pokemon.

After playing this a bit, one do them said

“I think Nintendo hates their fans”

Lol.

Nintendo has always been overtly protective of their intellectual property. Within the gaming industry copyright owners typically handle it privately to avoid gamer backlash.

Been playing on Steam and having a ton of fun, but coming up on late game the grind ramps up significantly. Can definitely use some balancing as they move through early access.

It seemed like there was a ton of of low level to 15ish mobs, then a jump to 30. I don't recall any areas that had enemies in the 20's. Around level 30, the materials and processing needed took a steep jump as well and I needed to spend a ton of time organizing and managing my Pals to efficiently process materials. I went from needing Pals with better material processing, then needing better quality food to keep them healthy, to spending days in game foraging for food to keep my troops from getting depressed. The transition just felt really abrupt.

I feel like the base management is probably one of the best features and some better balance will really shine. I don't think there is much of an end game, so if they want to keep people playing they need to introduce some endgame content to keep people hooked.

Pokemon and Madden suffer from the same issue, licensing brand exclusivity to a single shitty developer that puts out a yearly game with barely any improvements and zero innovation. And this has been going on for multiple decades. Imagine a good developer got its hands on either of those properties.

This game is a lot of fun. It just hits all the right notes and tones.

Mind you I have not played any pokemon aside from the very first Gameboy version and i must have captured around 10-15 of them before i called it quits. Never really played another pokemon game (even though I would try here and there and then quit within a few hours).

But this game is a great mix of fun that just keeps you interested. The best part is playing with friends. There's a lot silly shit in here that result in a lot of mature jokes/laughter.

Last edited:
Pokemon and Madden suffer from the same issue, licensing brand exclusivity to a single shitty developer that puts out a yearly game with barely any improvements and zero innovation. And this has been going on for multiple decades. Imagine a good developer got its hands on either of those properties.

As long as the NPC's buy the yearly releases without question, there's no reason for developers to innovate.

I mean... couldn't Madden just release updated rosters for each season as DLC? Maybe $20-$30? lol...

Same with FIFA?

I loved the NCCA version of Madden back in the day. So many ways to customize your teams, players and seasons. Year after year of recruiting High School kids.

I took a crappy CSU Rams took to the NCAA Championship after a few seasons.

Then you could export the players to be drafted in your Madden game. Fucking

When they canceled the NCAA version, nuked the player customizing and added a million microtransactions... I was out

Back