Pat Barry officially announces retirement from MMA

That sucks... I wanted to see him fight JDS.

His retirement brings up an interesting point: why are there some guys (Barry is obviously one of them) who the UFC keeps, despite being mediocre? Another that comes immediately to mind is Frank Mir. Then they cut guys like Fitch at the drop of a hat

iirc i remember once seeing it said that pat never really liked hurting people much, which is a poor mindset to have being a professional fighter. when i watch his fights and look at his outside the cage demeanor it seems to fit. he never goes hellbent for leather or all out and usually does just enough to finish a fight. i think his girlfriend might be more of a killer/meaner than he is.

Take time off...cut weight..do some Kickboxing and return to mma

really nice dude. good for him.

That's too bad, he was an entertaining personality and a great fighter to watch.

His record really took some bad hits towards the end though. Kongo, Johnson, Jordan. Bah.

Go to Glory? His ground game was bad?

Come on guys, he had a better ground game than some dudes at heavyweight and in Glory he's just going to get punched in the head even more in kickboxing. Getting punched in the head more is the last thing he needs.

Going to Glory would be a terrible idea, he was being KO'ed by low level MMA strikers, if he fought the big boys in Glory he would have to leave the ring in a stretch, and before someone comes up with the "he fought in K1 bullshit", just imagine him fighting the likes of Daniel Ghita, Spong, Verhoeven, Hari, Kharitonov, Semmy Schilt...

This is probably for the best, but I still feel a bit sad that we'll never see him in the octagon again. Pat is a warrior who always comes to put on a show and I think his positive attitude and sense of fun were an inspiration to a lot of people.

I wish him well in whatever he chooses to do next.

Thanks Pat!

“After long discussions with our client Pat Barry over the recent weeks, he has come to the decision that he will be taking an indefinite leave from competing in MMA. The UFC and Zuffa have been very gracious in releasing him from his contract and Pat is very grateful for everything they have done for him and his career,”
Pat Barry Retires from MMA, Leaves Door Open For Kickboxing Return

Barry.jpg

Glad he knew when to step down.
Always a pleasure to watch him fight win or lose.
GG Pat Barry!

Probably for the best. He was a great fighter.

F--king love his style. It's sad to see he goes. Even though I know he would do better in kickboxing, I still respect him as a mma fighter.

Probably for the best. He was a great fighter.

Wow! Not the word I would use to describe Pat Berry, but that's me. Entertaining, yes! Great, no....

Hopefully Rose makes it as far or further in the UFC. Best to Pat in his future endeavors. Love to see him as a coach.

Back