Paul Schreiner: Precise Pressure Passing (Official Thread)

FINAL DAYS TO SAVE!

Undoing and passing the lockdown

While a lot of the material covered is half guard/butterfly guard related, Paul starts this instructional in closed guard. The way he passes the closed guard will negate DLR and RDLR.

If you are looking for specifically DRL and RDLR passing the gold stand is our Lucas Lepri Passing series and Gianni's Leg Drag instructional.

Sounds good! Just preordered it. And I'll check out the other ones as well, thanks!

This looks like awesome material, but here's why it's not an insta-buy for me: barely anybody I train against uses either half guard or butterfly guard, instead it's all about DLR, RLDR, and lasso. And I may be wrong but it seems like the same trends apply in competition, too.

If this had any material on these other guards, I would've already bought it.
I remember Paul Schreiner saying in one video on MGiA how you should pass the typ of guard that your opponent does not want to play.

So maybe by staying low on your knees and forcing your training partners to play butterfly guard you could avoid some of their DLR/RDLR guard game.

I have a really hard time forcing half against half-decent DLR or RDLR players. Since the whole point of these guards is distance management, I find that people don't let you just get closer. It's possible that I'm not pummelling and breaking grips aggressively enough though, maybe that's my problem. I'd love to see more examples of using pressure-passing against these guards, I feel like I'm more familiar with the Leandro Lo or Mendes bros style of speed passing.
Have a look at how Faria's matches against Lo went. Pure pressure passing. Murilo Santana uses pressure very well against the modern style of guard as well.

Really? That's great news. Now if you could just let the people at my gym know…

I guess technically DLR and RDLR might be considered half guard variants though, are you sure those stats only included "pure" half guard?

DLR and RDLR are super popular at lower weights, but you really don't see a ton of them at the elite level above LW (and even at that weight I think Torres is probably the main elite guy who has a very DLR based game). Other than Braulio, who at the higher weights really uses DLR as more than a staging position to get to situp or X variants? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head (Lo uses it a lot but only to get to X, and his DLR has a very loose hook and he never uses it to sweep directly). RDLR and DLR are great for smaller guys to use against bigger guys to manage distance and keep their weight off them, but for bigger dudes it's very hard to get the leverage to sweep from there without transitioning to something else.

Have a look at how Faria's matches against Lo went. Pure pressure passing. Murilo Santana uses pressure very well against the modern style of guard as well.

I asked Roger Gracie once why he never had to mess around with DLR, spider, etc in his matches and he told me by passing low with pressure he simply never gives his opponents the chance to get into those guards in the first place.

About what? I took a lot of classes he taught and have been to multiple seminars. He addresses a lot of subtle points about how to control and response to common stuff you encounter in the position. Very helpful.

Back